[B][SIZE=3]New school can
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Name:  cougar_2..jpg
Views: 323
Size:  16.7 KB

I see no resemblance...

Maybe they should try again. Keep it the cougars and have it be a middle age woman as a mascot. Wasn't there some school in Colorado that made the news when they called themselves the whites? They had a white guy for a mascot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Whites

Why not cougars!?

Damn.... that's the new Draper High School that my kids will attend when it opens. The school is about two blocks from my house.

So I guess this means they will go with the second choice of names.... MILF.

FWIW: My kids each received a ballot for voting on the name, one picked Diamondbacks and the other picked Broncos. They both went against Cougar just because of the BYU connection. But the name "Corner Canyon Cougars" does roll nicely off the tongue.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    reminds me of story of a school that chose trojans. school board thought it may have been after the brand & not USC, but after the logo had been painted so the name was switched to titans.

Oh good Lord.....does this mean that BYU is currently offending all middle aged women everywhere?

Using that rationale BYU should have to change their mascot to remain politically correct.

LAME!!!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

So this means the name "Cubs" is out cause that would be offending to young men.

Name:  dating-cougar-wo&#109.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  39.6 KB

There must have been a few "cougars" on the board that rejected it...

Oh, good grief!

This make so many stupid assumptions, such as: more than a handful of middle-aged women even identify with being called a "cougar", and if they do, that somehow they'd find using it as the name of the school mascot offensive? I mean, the term "cougar" is derogatory enough on its own; this certainly isn't going to make it worse, other than it just draws more attention to its slang use .

Having Demi Moore as the mascot for a school with "Cougars" is pretty funny, though !

I'm not sure what the exact definition of a "cougar" is, other than older women going after younger guys. What's the age split to define that, exactly? When I was 28, I dated a 21 y.o. - would that count?

FWIW, I'm now 45, which I guess would be classified as "middle-aged". My guy is 52, so that gives an indication of which way I roll .
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye008 View Post
    There must have been a few "cougars" on the board that rejected it...
    Actually.... if you saw some of the mom's at the school and how they dress up and parade around the stadium and school events the term cougar is too far off base.... The school is built in a prosperous neighborhood, so if they want to be truly accurate the mascot should be the "Trophy Wife".

Or maybe the "Sugar Daddies".

OH SO --------------- Just to be politically fair----------RUGHT.

My son went to a middle school with a Trojan mascot. We attended with him on his orientation night prior to starting 7th grade. After the orientation was over we were wandering the halls so he could get a feel for the place and we came to the trophy case. Across the back wall was the large Trojan logo. He quickly noted..." Oh great,.. our mascot is a condom."

The best yearly football game is USC vs Oregon State. Pay attention and you will hear all the great commentator calls, "... and the Trojans go deep in Beaver territory", "... great penetration by the Trojans, the Beavers never saw it coming", etc...

FWIW: Since this is my kids school I did some checking up on the "Cougar" mascot and I'm sure you will all be very surprised to hear the media got it totally wrong.

During discussions about the new mascot one board member raised the question concerning the slang term Cougar and it was considered but really had little to do with dropping the Cougar as a mascot. The real reason was the board didn't want to share a mascot with a major university located 30 miles away. The thought was a new school deserves a new mascot that it can call its own.

Why is this the first we have heard of this? Did the media get it wrong or is the district back peddling to save face? Don't get me wrong, I know how the media can hear apples and print oranges. I think I have said the before but I have been the victim of a murder two times in the Daily Herald. To my wife's delight, the media was just a wee bit wrong.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Why is this the first we have heard of this? Did the media get it wrong or is the district back peddling to save face?
    There are a couple of folks in my hood that are really involved in this new school so I just asked them what the deal was and that is the story I was told. Which is the story I believe because they really don't have a dog in the fight and have no reason to sensationalize or hide facts.