Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: American Canyoneers needs your input!

I thought the iBOD was tasked with getting the organization incorporated, providing some very basic frame work to begin work under, and setting up an election for a board of directors.

It was my understanding that a lot of what the iBOD is doing now was supposed to be done by the elected BOD and the election was supposed to take place in the spring? Did I miss something along the way? Was an actual BOD elected?

It just seems to me that accident reports and merchandise type decisions should be the BOD's job, along with things like direction and guidance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I agree Shane. Seems like a bit of cart before the horse right now.

Well, I don't agree with Shane. I think bylaws, 501c3 status, accounting system, logo's, membership dues, committees are all part of the process to get this off the ground. I also don't want this process to take place in a vacuum behind closed doors. Safety is part of it, getting peoples input and making it better is also part of it. Malia and Troy put the effort out there, spent their free time researching and coming up with a plan. Give your input, make it better. Travis is going to post on american canyoneers site, membership, benefits, dues and such. FYI $50 for membership dues was discussed during the last board meeting, membership is not going to be $50. Participation and input from everyone is welcome. Hell, I even asked Shane to be part of access...

WOLF

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    I agree Shane. Seems like a bit of cart before the horse right now.
    x2

Wolf, it just seems to me that getting a BOD elected should be job one.... and I don't see that happening, which concerns me. From the outside looking in it appears the iBOD has lost sight of what they were elected to do, which was to handle incorporation and to get a BOD in place. They were not elected to set agenda, establish membership dues and design t-shirts..... Or maybe my ideas of what an iBOD is supposed to accomplish and your view differ..... but this wouldn't be a problem if we had an elected BOD steering the ship and not a temperary interim-BOD.

Honestly I'm interested in helping once I see a BOD elected and a course of action set.....

I kind of figured they'd set membership dues, simply because how do you have members without paying dues? And how do you elect a full time BOD without members?

I was hoping they'd set the organization up as a legal entity, establish the bylaws, and then establish a way to get a membership, allow full dues paying members to vote for an established BOD, who would then lead on behalf of it's membership. Perhaps I misunderstood what the purpose of the iBOD was?

However, it does sound like the legal stuff is well underway. So I'm happy to wait and see where this all goes. It does seem a little strange to get too far down the road without the foundation being laid, however.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Is kind of a chicken and egg problem!

The organization has to have legal status, bylaws etc. before much of anything can be done. - check, well underway.

The organization needs to have some goals, intents, and maybe start working on some stuff, before people will be interested in joining.

In order to have an election, you need to have members, ie, people that have joined. Bylaws would be a good thing to have in place then too.

So, while I appreciate Shane's point, that this is really intended as an interim Board of Directors, I also think it naive to think that people will join the organization without some actions being taken, to give a sense of what the organization IS and could do. At the very least, it would give something for people to talk about during the BOD elections - either pro-what is happening, or anti-what is happening.

Could set a low dues level pre-election, an interim dues level, say 10$.

May I suggest, Wolf, that it would behoove the board to work on setting a date for a real BOD election, which involves (thinking out loud here);

1. an election date.
    2. a membership cutoff deadline for voting in the election.
    3. bylaws written, commented on and revised before the election, partly so the bylaws can be voted up or down by the election.
    4. dues, at least interim, set, etc.
    4. etc.

My observation is that "setting a date for an election", once you drill down into the details, is a little more complicated than just setting a date. Thus, I suggest to Wolf that this is something that needs to be worked on, and to Shane, thank you for your comments, yes, we are working on that, and please, your vigilant patience is requested.

"Spring" seems a little soon. "Summer" might be a better choice. "Fall" seems a little far away.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    I kind of figured they'd set membership dues, simply because how do you have members without paying dues? And how do you elect a full time BOD without members?
    What says the BOD has to be elected by a membership that paid for the privilege to vote?

It wouldn't hurt my feelings any if the first BOD election was open to ALL canyoneers, and not just card carrying members. The organization is going to be small at the first election and if nothing else I can see the BOD being populated and dominated by one or two canyoneering cliques without a broad base of voters.

Anyhoo.... These are the type of options and ideas I was hoping an iBOD would explore before picking out fixtures for the executive bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    I did some work for the Access Fund, quite some time ago, and have established contacts there. Being part of the Access Fund seems unlikely. Using them for coaching and coordinating comments we are already doing, at least on an informal basis. Learning from them is certainly part of our gig.

Tom

Updated Membership Info

Hi Fellow Canyoneers,

We are getting closer to getting everything in line to start accepting paid membership for AC.

Here's the lowdown that we are thinking so far....

Regular Member: $35
    Student Member: $20

What you get for the $:
    1) A one year membership with American Canyoneers including a personalized membership card.
    2) Invitations to Special Events
    3) A good feeling in your heart knowing you are supporting access and conservation of canyoneering resources
    4) Discounts on gear, training, and food (everything a growing canyoneer needs)

We already have a number of businesses that have offered discounts of 10%-25% for active members. On a side note - if you are a business interested in offering a discount contact me via travismcdan at gmail.com with your information.

Sooner than later, you'll be able to come to this website and purchase a membership which will give you access to the "Members Only" section containing the appropriate access info for all the discount offerings and special events. Pretty rad!

So that's about it for now - let us know any thoughts you have.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by travis View Post
    let us know any thoughts you have.
    Just one question at the moment.... Does the money some of us already donated to get this off the ground count toward our membership?

And a couple of comments.... I still think $35 is a little steep.... my though is charge $25 and get twice the numbers. When dealing with land managers I think you will discover having the official backing of a large number of canyoneers will help your cause more than having a large bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Just one question at the moment.... Does the money some of us already donated to get this off the ground count toward our membership?

And one comment.... I still think $35 is a little steep.... my though is charge $25 and get twice the numbers. When dealing with land managers I think you will discover having the official backing of a large number of canyoneers will help your cause more than having a large bank.
    I cannot speak to the former - above my pay grade.

But, noted on the latter. Thanks.

You should consider adding a corparate sponsorship where business that make a contribution get a link or something from AC. Maybe several different tiers of corparate memberships so small organizations like Bogley can make a contibution and not get lost among the big dogs like Petzl.... anyhoo... that's my 2 cents.

Also in the works.

Thanks Shane!

The criteria for electing the BOD is posted on americancanyoneers. Please provide input on the AC site.

WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    The criteria for electing the BOD is posted on americancanyoneers. Please provide input on the AC site.

WOLF
    Can't you just provide a direct link? How hard is it to copy and paste... You guys over there seem to be under the impression we want to search your entire site for single thread topics. I assure you this is not the case.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

If you want to reach the largest cross section of canyoneers possible in one swipe and get them to actually read the material consider cross posting the major highlights of American Canyoneers, with a link to follow for those that might be interested in reading the fine print.

Criteria for BOD election
    The interim board of directors came up with the criteria for electing the BOD:

1. Vision and mission statement (done)
    2. Bylaws and incorporating documents (in progress)
    3. 501c3 paperwork filed (will be started after incorporation)
    4. 75 members
    5. 01may start the nomination process, vote 01june for BOD

501c3 paperwork filed with 75 members will trigger an earlier election date. Nominations will start with completion of both those requirements. If the 501c3 papers is not filed by 01 May, elections will proceed regardless. In the mean time we will continue working on the various committees. Membership will be open for enrollment in the first week of February after we get input on fee structure.

WOLF

http://www.americancanyoneers.org/fo....php?f=3&t=137

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Can't you just provide a direct link? How hard is it to copy and paste... You guys over there seem to be under the impression we want to search your entire site for single thread topics. I assure you this is not the case.
    A direct link in the past was Zapped by the Bogley management, Deathcricket. Thus, AC posters are shy about providing direct links.

The direct link is: http://www.americancanyoneers.org/fo....php?f=3&t=137

I believe the idea is to have discussion about the American Canyoneers governance topic over on the AC forum, so that all may have a little back and forth. Certainly posts on Bogley are read, but those who are alienated by Bogley would perhaps like to interact in discussion on this topic. Contrary to Ice's opinion, "those alienated by Bogley" are also members of the Canyoneering Community.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Direct links in the past have been Zapped by the Bogley management, Deathcricket. Thus, AC posters are shy about providing direct links.

Please keep the extreme exaggerations to a small roar...

To the best of my knowledge.... Exactly ONE link was zapped as spam by a mod who has only a curious interest in canyoneering and exactly zero interest in canyoneering politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Please keep the extreme exaggerations to a small roar...

To the best of my knowledge.... Exactly ONE link was zapped as spam by a mod who has only a curious interest in canyoneering and exactly zero interest in canyoneering politics.

Thank you for correcting the record, Shane.

I was EXPLAINING why the link was not originally posted. Thank you for stating, for the management, that links to AC are OK.

Tom