Thread: Pleiades or Rock of Ages

Pleiades or Rock of Ages

Hi Guys,

This june we'll be visiting the Moab area and we're looking into taking a guided tour into one of these canyons.
    Which one do you guys recommend Pleiades or Rock of Ages.

Mike

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Depends on water flow. If our winter stays this mild then Pleiades could be great then. This time last year, though, it was running at dangerous flow levels into late July I believe. I haven't done rock of ages but I don't believe it has any water flow to worry about, so it is a more sure thing. But Pleiades is awesome, if a little short.
    - Gavin

If the flows are right Plieades will be an exciting adventure. Completely different from any of the other routes in Moab. Since the Guide Services can no longer guide in Arches, Rock of Ages is probably the best bet for a half day. If going all day Granary is your only choice.

Mark

The website of Desert Highlights says Granary in June is too hot. Agree?

June would be friggin' miserable to do Granary. It's a long hike with a couple rappels. If the flow isn't too dangerous, Pleaiades is definitely your best bet.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    no need to worry about the guides from Desert Highlights taking you into Pleaiades when it's too dangerous. They only do it when it's safe for them to guide & enjoyable for their clients. Infact, the owner Matt Moore is a member of this forum. Have fun!

Both routes are great, I would go with the guides recommendation at the time of your trip. A lot of canyoneering is condition, water and weather Dependant. The guides do this every day for a living and want to provide you with the best experience possible so you will return and bring your friends and family. The guides will be up-to-date on each particular canyon and will do a great job of matching you to the best possible adventure to maximize your value/entertainment on the day of your trip.

Anyhoo.... that's what I'd do.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Both routes are great, I would go with the guides recommendation at the time of your trip. A lot of canyoneering is condition, water and weather Dependant. The guides do this every day for a living and want to provide you with the best experience possible so you will return and bring your friends and family. The guides will be up-to-date on each particular canyon and will do a great job of matching you to the best possible adventure to maximize your value/entertainment on the day of your trip.

Anyhoo.... that's what I'd do.
    Thanks Shane, that's a wonderful way to sum it up.

Guiding at ZAC, we don't list the canyons we do, because we (the guides) want to be able to size up the group, then make a decision about where to go. I've always been surprised that Matt does it the other way, but it seems to work for him. I would suggest signing up for Pleiades, then being flexible because your guide might think that was a little over the top (assuming it eventually snows around there).

Tom

Pleiades is a top notch canyon, though relatively short. You may want to hold off deciding the exact canyon a few months until the snow pack is more predictable. It can get a little exciting in there with high snowmelt, but that doesn't look probable right now.

The guides will have a better idea of exact conditions and timely, skill and outcome based recommendations. Very different canyons.

Phillip

Thanks for the help, i'll wait till March or so before signing up.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordschleife View Post
    Thanks for the help, i'll wait till March or so before signing up.
    If you only have a specific day you can do it, I would advise signing up as soon as possible. Matt has a limited number of guides each day, and days book up very haphazardly. You and your guide can work out WHICH trip you are doing at the time, but in order to be sure to get a guide on a specific day, you will need to book in advance.

Tom