Thread: Escalante Backpacking -- Death Hollow Question

Escalante Backpacking -- Death Hollow Question

Hi

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mods probably ought to move this to the backpacking section. You will get answers there.
    Life is Good

If you have five days at your disposal, I would recommend the entire canyon.

The only drawback to Death Hollow is that it has quite a bit of posion ivy, but you won't avoid it anyway by going down the BMT.

July will be hot the first day, but not bad once you hit the water. In summer, I'd recommend carrying enough water on the first day to cover you in case you have to do a dry camp.

Doing the entire canyon is actually very scenic and the tightest narrows are above the BMT (the lower end is also highly scenic).

Steve Allen's description is overall pretty good, but the difficulties are highly exaggerated. In reality, Death Hollow is one that I'd have no qualms what so ever of taking my seven year old girl on.

FYI, unless it's an extremely wet winter/spring, June is preferable to July. Also in either month, there will be horseflies along the Escalante, so bring long pants. On a late June trip we didn't and were sorry. Long pants avoid most of the bites.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I once read a trip report somewhere of some guy who attempted the entire trip for Hells Backbone early in the year and we finally turned back after flirting wtih some serious hypothermia and high waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Also in either month, there will be horseflies along the Escalante, so bring long pants. On a late June trip we didn't and were sorry. Long pants avoid most of the bites.
    Yes, this! I had no idea what a deerfly was until we hiked the Escalante in early June and I was wearing shorts. Unlike the deerflies of New England that attack eyelids and faces, these are are mostly "below the belt" biters.

Be sure and post a TR when you do it - it sounds awesome!
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"