Thread: daughters first mtn bike ride

daughters first mtn bike ride

So for the last few months my daughter has been askig to go mtn biking with me. But she only had a cheap Next 20" bike. So for christmas, I scoured the internet and the local craigslist trying to find a good used Specialized, Scott, or something similiar made specifically for kids mtn biking. I was able to score a used Scott Voltage JR 24" for $100. It needed some work but the previous owner had already upgraded it quite a bit but I could tell that it then sat in a garage for a few years. So for a few weeks before christmas I built it up. I placed all new cables and housing on the bike (white of course). Then I got new Avid single digit V brakes, new tubes, new ODI grips, new seat collar, new handlebars, and a new seat. I pretty much picked all of that up from pricepoint for another $60. Then I put on my old X4 derailer. I then removed the old stickers on the fork and ordered off of Ebay all new Scott stickers (super nice). Then I had the paint guy here at the shop re-paint the fork and touch up the frame and put new stickers on. Overall I was at about $200 for a nice bike for her.

So of course she was super excited. So we went out for our first ride at Cottonwood this past Saturday and she was grinning ear to ear the whole time. I could tell she was struggling a bit on the uphill, as was I, but she loved the downhill and even tried to get 'air' off some of the rocks.

Also I know her seat is a bit low but I wanted to start her out with a bit more confidence so she could easily touch.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That's awesome!!

You rocked it and she looked like she had an awesome time. BTW...the video is set to private. Doh!

Sweet. Getting the kids out with you scores major brownie points.

Forgot to post the map.

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: http://maps.google.com/?q=http://share.abvio.com/7a01/4949/4d2a/6ec8/Cyclemeter-MountainCycle-20120107-1127.kml
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Cool, what app are you using for tracking?

I use cyclemeter and imapmyride. Cyclemeter does a good job for distance and is pretty accurate and imapmyride is superior in the web hosting and elevation stuff. Pretty cool to be able to compare your ride to everyone one else whose ridden that route on mapmyride.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    Forgot to post the map.
    Forgot to make the video publicly viewable. The pics are cool though.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    My best biking crew are my kids! Love riding with them. Great report.
    Chere'