Thread: In the market for a Honda

In the market for a Honda

We're in the market for a 4-wheeler and I thought I'd solicit advice.

• My wife and I will probably share it for a few years until we can get another. We're not heavy people - I'm tall and thin, she's short and petite. We don't do crazy stuff, but we like to get to nice places not accessible in a stock Jeep. We've ridden all the way to the top of Snake Creek to where it overlooks Brighton and didn't consider it a horribly difficult ride. We're looking to ride and see fun places with some technical trails, camp, and plow the driveway.

• If it doesn't say Honda on the side I'm not really interested. Must be 4x4 and at least semi-auto transmission (and include Reverse). My mother-in-law has lent us her 2005 Rincon (with independent rear suspension) and we've enjoyed it. However, I'm not sure we need such a high-end model or an engine that big, and I've heard the Rincons have a wider turn radius than say, a Rancher. I'd really like a Rancher AT, because I like the extra-high clearance it has. But should I really be worried about 6.5 inches vs 9 inches of ground clearance on a 4-wheeler? Don't their relatively short wheelbases allow them to pretty much go over anything reasonable regardless of the ground clearance?

• I'm curious about independent rear suspension vs the axle suspension. Does it really matter that much? I don't mind feeling a few bumps, as long as I can handle it for a few hours. They talk about power steering taking away even more of the shock, but I don't know. This is a 4-wheeler. We're going out to be in the rocks and elements. Do I really want a cush ride like that? What's the happy medium here?

• Rear disc vs. drum brakes? Does this matter? Looks like most of the middle-end models have drums on the rear. I know I hate changing drum brakes, but I guess I could practice more. Is there an advantage to having rear discs?

• Our budget is between $2500-3500. It's our first, so we don't have to have the best of the best, but we also don't want something that's going to cost a ton to keep running. I'll be keeping a particular eye out for body damage or other signs of rolling. I'm kind of looking for something with low mileage, but I realize that I may have to compromise on this. What mileage range would you say would be too high? These rentals that come out of St. George and are 2010 models with 8900 miles on them seem like dogs to stay away from. What I'm seeing in our budget right now, at least on KSL, tend to be 2004-2006 Rancher 4x4 models with anywhere from 900-5000 miles on them. Is this about right? Should we be looking elsewhere?

Thanks a ton in advance for your advice!
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    If possible, I'd get a 4x4 Rancher or Rincon and try to keep the miles under 2500. My 2001 Rancher has 7000 miles on it and still runs strong.. Solid machines!
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

I love my '08 Rancher 420 4x4. It's liquid cooled and fuel injected, which (at least in '08) wasn't available in any other machine in its price range.

You might want something bigger than a Rancher for riding 2-up. They're a little on the small side for some types of riding when carrying a passenger. That said, at times I've ridden my 'Rancher 2-up with me (5'11", 190lbs.) and a passenger (even bigger) on flat or somewhat hilly terrain without any problems. It's just when doing steep rock-crawling kinda stuff where the passenger may need to get off and walk for a bit.

I've never had a problem with ground clearance, even though my Rancher has some of the lowest clearance in the Honda lineup. The only time it will matter is when doing serious rock-crawling, but in most terrain it just hasn't been an issue.

I can ride all day on the solid rear axle. I've had several 100+ mile days (loaded with lots of camping gear) and the rear suspension never made it uncomfortable. Power steering, on the other hand, might be a nice option for more comfort on longer rides. I suffered temporary nerve damage in one arm that I think might have been from a 120-mile day of riding (combined with a very uncomfortable night's sleep on rocky ground in a tent).

Rear discs will give you more stopping power, but I've never needed better stopping power using my rear drum setup. Just like in a car, the front discs do most of the work. Plus, engine braking helps out a lot with the rear in 2WD.

I would definitely stay away from something approaching 10K miles. I ride my ATV a moderate amount, and have put about 1,300 miles per year on it over all kinds of terrain. However, I would factor in the machine's condition when considering the miles it has on it. I'm sure there are people who put a lot of miles on an ATV but only ride gravel or easy dirt roads, and some people beat the crap out of them without a lot of mileage. ~5,000 miles for a five-year-old+ machine doesn't sound too bad if it's in good condition.
    Blog | FB

What is it about Honda that you like so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    What is it about Honda that you like so much?
    They run and run and run.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Dance View Post
    They run and run and run.
    There is no arguing that fact...bulletproof.

But you may not want to rule out the other 3 Japanese machines. Every manufacturer is so different, when I bought ours I had to make a spreadsheet to keep track of the features of each machine and what they were equipped with.

Some of the things I couldn't do without:

• 4 wheel drive that can be shifted to 2 wheel drive--easier steering and less stress on machine
    • Locking front differental--don't use it much, but when I do, I'm glad I have it
    • Auto trans--I like the belt type, so simple and basically maintainance free
    • Disk brakes--drums can potentially be compromised by sand, water, etc.--it's easy to get in, but difficult to get out
    • Good suspension--when riding double, it's very difficult to lift your rear off the seat to soak up the rough terrain
    • Power to spare--it's just plain fun
    I noticed that you are from "Happy Valley", so beware of the dealer on the west frontage road in Springville--I think it's called Adams Motors. They have ultra low mileage machines that look like a bargain. I've been told that they buy old rentals and replace the speedo with a brand new one. It's perfectly legal as the title has no mileage requirement.

Good luck.