Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Identifying a Few Canyons...

Help Identifying a Few Canyons...

Can anyone help identify these canyons in the Powell area?

http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/05/powell-2011.html

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jon.moab View Post

http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/05/powell-2011.html
    Yes, but they won't. Agreements in place, which people will hopefully honor.

Canyons off Powell tend to be very serious, difficult and dangerous, and requiring specific tools to safely pass. I suggest exploring only with the "A" Team, and with extreme caution.

Tom

Hadn't seen that website before. Gorgeous shots and explorations. Fun to peruse the different albums and see old acquaintances.

Looking at those shots makes me realizes how much further people are pushing down-climbing nowadays.

Phillip

Are there any non-secret canyons that drop into the lake? Also, who are members of this elusive "A Team"?

Hey jon check your PM's bro, I have a little bit of info that can help you out.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by jon.moab View Post

Some of the pictures are tributaries of Navajo Canyon, a couple could be from tributaries of Labyrinth Canyon.

Here is a good thread to check out if you are looking for Lake Powell Beta

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?36896

I recognize the waterfall, but I believe the canyons in that area are illegal to visit without special permission.

Are there any non-secret canyons that drop into the lake?
    Plenty. Clearwater, Black Hole, Sevenmile, East Fork Sevenmile, Davis Gulch, etc, etc.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Thank you for the info. I have some reasearch to do....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I recognize the waterfall, but I believe the canyons in that area are illegal to visit without special permission.
    With a couple of exceptions, most the canyons in that area just require a Navajo hiking permit to be legal. I'll post the info for obtaining a Navajo permit tomorrow as the info is on my work computer.

When doing the canyons from the lake I've never seen anther soul, let alone anyone checking for permits.... YMMV...

I guess I should chime in since it's my blog he's referring to. As Tom says "agreements are in place," and I've promised not to go broadbanding beta to everyone on the internet about all the canyons I've done on Lake Powell so I apologize. Maybe I shouldn't post photos online of canyons I'm not willing to broadband beta on? I kinda feel like a douche when someone asks and I tell them no. It may be better to just keep those photos to myself? I will admit the blog is mainly for me, to show family members and friends photos from my various adventures. I keep it public in case strangers are interested in looking at the photos.

Shane is right, some of the pictures are tributaries of Navajo Canyon (special permission was obtained), others are tributaries of Warm Springs Canyon (which are in Kelseys book), none are tributaries of Labyrinth although there might be good slots coming into Labyrinth? Do you have access to a boat jon.moab? Maybe we could do some canyons together sometime (I don't do canyons NEARLY as much as I used to, but hope to do a few more this year than last) and talk about possibilities of assembling an "A-Team," to hit the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125 View Post
    none are tributaries of Labyrinth although there might be good slots coming into Labyrinth?
    Navajo, Labyrinth and Face are all similar (in terms of side slots) and all have great tributary slots entering the main drainages. I don't think I've ever explored anything in those drainages that was not worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I don't think I've ever explored anything in those drainages.
    FTFY.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    FTFY.

We explored Navajo and Face Canyon when you were still shitting in your diapers.... but of course you wouldn't understand because the word "canyoneer" had yet to be coined.

Here is the information on obtaining a Navajo Permit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very cool blog entry. Great photos by RAM
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    We explored Navajo and Face Canyon when you were still shitting in your diapers.... but of course you wouldn't understand because the word "canyoneer" had yet to be coined.

are you saying you've done technical canyons in those drainages? i've got some money just burning a hole in my pocket to buy that beta from you. (well, not really... but you get the point.)

when will you release it? 30 years is a long time to sit on such gems...

as a side note, the term "canyoneer" had been coined by John Wesley Powell's men, close to 100 years before even YOU had a chance to shit in diapers. but of course you wouldn't understand because your myopic version of canyon history seems to start with shane, and end with burrows.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    ... close to 100 years before even YOU had a chance to shit in diapers. but of course you wouldn't understand because your myopic version of canyon history seems to start with shane, and end with burrows.

Carpey, Carpey... It's 2012. A year of sweetness and light. Even towards Shane.

He chose his words carefully - respect that!

Someone's Carpin' mi Lord, Kumbaya...

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125 View Post
    I guess I should chime in since it's my blog he's referring to. As Tom says "agreements are in place," and I've promised not to go broadbanding beta to everyone on the internet about all the canyons I've done on Lake Powell so I apologize. Maybe I shouldn't post photos online of canyons I'm not willing to broadband beta on? I kinda feel like a douche when someone asks and I tell them no. It may be better to just keep those photos to myself? I will admit the blog is mainly for me, to show family members and friends photos from my various adventures. I keep it public in case strangers are interested in looking at the photos.

Shane is right, some of the pictures are tributaries of Navajo Canyon (special permission was obtained), others are tributaries of Warm Springs Canyon (which are in Kelseys book), none are tributaries of Labyrinth although there might be good slots coming into Labyrinth? Do you have access to a boat jon.moab? Maybe we could do some canyons together sometime (I don't do canyons NEARLY as much as I used to, but hope to do a few more this year than last) and talk about possibilities of assembling an "A-Team," to hit the lake.
    I do have access to a boat and would love to plan a trip. On a side note, I think you work with a good friend of mine, Eric M....

"A year of sweetness and light."

I like that.