Thread: Spire in Citibank Commercial

Spire in Citibank Commercial

The recent citibank commercial had an awesome spire/hoodoo and I wanted to know where it was. Most of you likely recognized it immediately. It took me some checking but I believe it to be Fisher Towers near Moab. I have never been to the towers but it looks like an awesome climb. I am a bit afraid of most redrock sandstone though as I don't often trust the protection unless bolted and even then??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

that certainly did look like in the fisher towers but i don't think it is, or maybe it is of 2 or more climbs pieced together via creative editing. at least the shot at :12 isn't. you can see the river below and a dirt road. if it were the fisher towers it would not be that close to the river and the road would be paved.

if you are afraid of most redrock sandstone then be very afraid of the rock in the fisher towers. it is probably the worst rock i have ever climbed. it is in the cutler formation and it is very soft. the climbs in the wingate or aztec sandstone are awesome, high quality and the sandstone is very hard. wingate climbs would be in places like park avenue (near moab), indian creek and the sixshooters, while the aztec is more like what is in redrocks (near vegas).
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

The shot at :12 is not Fisher Tower, I don't know where that is, could be a posed shot for the commercial? You don't get that view of the Colorado River from Fisher Tower. The rest of the shots are of Ancient Art, which is on one of the Fisher Towers. The crux is bolted and can be aided (just pull on quickdraws) to make this something like 5.9. The rest of the gear will probably hold... Don't fall though just in case ;) (the gear protected sections are like 5.6, the 5.9 portion is bolted, but the fourth class traverse to get to the start of the 5.9 section is... EXCITING!). It is a BEAUTIFUL climb with amazing position... but it's on very sandy, chossy rock.

http://www.summitpost.org/ancient-art/509337

In another thread elsewhere, someone said the early shots of the commercial are Dead Horse Point State Park.

the shots at :12 are dead horse point, for sure. same spot as the shots in the famous zion IMAX film too, which are entirely out of context.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Name:  148929_3534314709297_512264798_n.jpg
Views: 2662
Size:  44.6 KB

The ending shot of the Citi Commercial shows Steph Davis climbing with Alex Honnold. Ancient Art spire, is the tower she stands on at the end of the commercial and it is located in the fisher towers. This picture right above me is the sidewalk to the diving board portion of Ancient art. I believe it was listed at 687 Feet.

You will need a solid 5.10 natural pro lead, If you plan on doing this climb and get there early. We were the first on the spire, but rapped past 5 other groups otw down.

Here's a shot from below the Titan, with me on top of AA. To get a grand scale.

Quote Originally Posted by nefariousdeeds View Post
    The ending shot of the Citi Commercial shows Steph Davis climbing with Alex Honnold.
    Katie Brown, not Steph.

Quote Originally Posted by nefariousdeeds View Post
    You will need a solid 5.10 natural pro lead, If you plan on doing this climb and get there early.
    Hmmm...not really. Its kinda 5.8 A0 (maybe 5.9 A0). And, the crux down low is a bolt ladder you can step/tug on.

Yeah, crowded now, eh? Glad I got 'er done a few years back.

Great route, though, and amazing it goes as easily as it does for that long.

11. Likes Scott P liked this post
    And, the crux down low is a bolt ladder you can step/tug on.
    It was, but some of the bolts on P3 got pulled making it more difficult (as of September 17 2011). I'm not sure if they have been replaced, but they probably have been (I did the climb before they were pulled).

Its kinda 5.8 A0 (maybe 5.9 A0).
    Yes. Free rating is 5.10d or 5.11a. If interested, I included a short discussion on the difficulty on the write up below:

http://www.summitpost.org/stolen-chimney/163338

Although by far the most popular/famous summit, interestingly the Corkscrew Summit really isn't the highest summit of Ancient Art though. To get to the true summit, the Middle Tower requires at least 5.10 A0:

http://www.summitpost.org/ancient-art/509337

wingate climbs would be in places like park avenue (near moab)
    Park Avenue is actually in the Entrada Sandstone and seems fairly soft(?). Do you perhaps mean Wall Street?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

wall street is what i meant. my bad.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Katie Brown, not Steph.

Hmmm...not really. Its kinda 5.8 A0 (maybe 5.9 A0). And, the crux down low is a bolt ladder you can step/tug on.

Yeah, crowded now, eh? Glad I got 'er done a few years back.

Great route, though, and amazing it goes as easily as it does for that long.
    Katie Brown your're right my bad.

As for the 5.9 a0, I can appreciate that people knock this out, but it seemed harder than that...for me personally. Either way it was cool.