Thread: Phantom Creek, Grand Canyon

Phantom Creek, Grand Canyon

I'm heading down to the Phantom Ranch area on March 10 in advance of joining a rafting trip (camping with them at Cremation on the 11th). I want to do a little exploring before I meet them. My first thought was heading out Clear Creek but my request for that permit didn't pan out. I know have my second choice the lovely over-crowded Bright Angel campground.

Now I'm thinking about Phantom Creek. I will call the BC office and see if I can change my permit to that area. But, if I can't I'm curious if it would be reasonable to do the loop up to the top of PC and then back down it as a day hike from the BA campground? I need to be back at the river to meet my group around 4 PM.

I'm also questioning the wisdom of doing this hike solo. It seems like the water can be kinda high in PC sometimes and the downclimbs tricky. I can bring a short rope and some webbing etc. to make handlines for myself of course.

I'm also interested in any other nooks to go explore for the day around Phantom. Oh, and I'll be asking more about some other hikes further down the river as you can imagine
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

do you need a permit to dayhike to clear creek? thought that was only if you wanted to overnight.

you could go up from bright angel campground to the west to the utah flats and into upper phantom creek then back down phantom creek to the campground as a loop hike. or do it in reverse. i think it would be a long dayhike but doable with a very early start.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Sure, Clear Creek is still an option for a day hike and I may end up just doing that. Thanks.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    I'm heading down to the Phantom Ranch area on March 10 in advance of joining a rafting trip (camping with them at Cremation on the 11th). I want to do a little exploring before I meet them.
    Can you elaborate on this plan? A couple of problems come to mind. 1) They may not get Cremation and be camped up river. March has 2 launches a day and depending on everyone's schedule there could be more than two groups doing exchanges and wanting Cremation. NPS will put out a calendar in mid-February with info, but even then schedules change once on the river. 2) You can only ferry across to Lower Cremation - not Upper. I'm sure if the group had Upper then they could ask and put a boat at Lower, but it's a hassle come loading time in the morning. 3) If they have 16 on the trip, someone would have to leave in order for you to legally camp with them.