Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New bike help

New bike help

I have been out of dirt bikes for way to long and need to get back into them. After posting on here once before, and getting some great feed back, I've decided to stay away from the new 4 stroke monsters as they seem to reqiure more mant. And more $ to maintain. This leaves me with getting a used 2stoke, which fits into the budget better anyways.

So here's my question. I'm looking at a cr500 or kx500. It will be my one all around bike. I now 01 is the last yr. For the cr500 and I link 05 or 06 for kx500. So does anyone have any experience with these bikes? I want a good all around bike. Won't go to the track much, mostly mountains and sand. I used to have an older 495 ktm and my friend had a cr500 and I was jealous and always wanted one. I rode his little, but not much, he definatley smoked my bike in every way. His was the yr. Before they detuned them, 87 I belive.

So will this be a good bike? I've called local honda parts store and they still availble. Any yrs or things I should be aware of and stay clear from? Any help/advice on this would be great! I hope to be riding soon!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

More maintenance on the 4 strokes? Here comes the flame wars...
    Just get a bike and ride. 2 stroke or 4 it doesn't matter. I personally wouldn't want to ride a 500 2 smoker in the mountains. It can be done, but they don't have the torque. Its all wheel spin.

If I could choose any bike right now for my type of riding it would be the new KTM 350 EXC. Hot sauce!!

• Handling of a 250
    • Performance of a 450

Standard Colors: http://www.ktm.com/enduro/350-exc-f-eu/highlights.html

Name:  350_EXC-F_90_Grad..jpg
Views: 200
Size:  66.1 KB

Six Days Edition - "For Extreme Missions" : http://www.ktm.com/enduro/350-exc-f-...ighlights.html

Name:  4T_EXC_F_6Days_web&#.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  70.6 KB

That six days bike is incredible!

I love the 450, maintenance isn't much different than the two stroke, I change oil every ten or so hours either way, the four stroke takes a filter too but they are cheap. I think the difference is when you have a rebuild, a two stroke is easy and cheap, four stroke is slightly harder and requires more parts.

I would love a 500 at the dunes but I think Acca is right about it being a lot in the mountains. For me the 250 two stroke has as much as I can handle and I picked up an 06 for under two grand Your welcome to give it a try if you want to see if it's enough bike for your liking. I may be easily talked into a quick trip to five mile this weekend

That KTM does look sweet and i'm sure it is a FANTASTIC bike, unfortunately I think it is a little over my price range. When you get yours you can let me drool all over it!!

So you think 4 strokes are about the same maintainance as the 2 strokes? I know back in the day, my brother had a xr500 and that thing was a beast, it had tons of low end torque and all you needed to do was put gas in it and you could go anywhere. never had to do anything to it. It was big and heavy and the brakes and suspension stunk. Wasn't all that fast either. I had a YZ 250 before the KTM 495. It was an old yellow one, yeah that old. I can't remember the year. but that thing was costantly fouling plugs and had almost zero torque. the only power it had was wide open, but it was lighter!! So I always thought 4 strokes were the way to go. Then from some things i've read about the newer MX style 4strokes is that they require value adjustments every 40 hrs and it's not an if you are going to need to replace the valves its a when you replace the valves it gets pricey. But of course since I read all that on the internet, it has to be true.......RIGHT????.

So it sounds like the 4 strokes are really not as much maintenance I was thinking, Maybe I need need to do some re-thinking on them and look more into those. I'm trying not to spend over 2k on a bike and it looks like with 2strokes that shouldn't be to hard to do. I don't know about the 4's, I'll have to check them out and see.

As for the 500 it has always intriged me and I have always wanted one. Every time I rode one I just could stop smiling.....you could wheelie that thing whenever your wanted and in what ever gear it was in. Mabye that's not a good thing . It would climb anything and smoke anyone in a drag. Maybe the power is to much in every day riding and it would be a fight to ride it anywhere but the dunes....??? I did read that you can get a weighted flywheel that helps with low end torque and wheel spin..but who knows.

So Fourty, I would love to try out your 250 sometime.....were you serious about this weekend at 5 mile? I maybe able to swing that some time saturday, let me know and I can see. I haven't been out there for years.

I really don't have the experience to give out advice with the one exception. Last Feb. I was in the same shoes as you and I went all out crazy and decided on a big ol XR650R.
    It only took one day riding with the boys from Bogley out at Logandale and the next day or two I had a YZF450X in the driveway.
    Kind of wish maybe I had started with a 250 but it is what it is and I'm learning all the time.
    Hope this helps. And remember AGATT(all the gear all the time). Safety is as important as having fun.

There are plenty of 2 and 4 stroke bikes in your range. Since its been a few years and you are referencing Yamaha when they were still yellow. It does sound like you need to ride a few different models to get a feel before you pruchase.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=231...6&category=142

2 smokes= ear plugs, mixing and you really need to keep em wound up.
    They are cheaper to rebuild.

Thumpers= Drill holes in your helmit at the ears to let the sweet sound of thumper music in.
    They do cost more to rebuild. They pull like a tractor.

Just some pros and cons from my point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnseeker1 View Post
    They pull like a tractor.

2 Stroke! Everything that needs to be done on a 2 stroke is super easy. I pulled the entire engine apart and re-did my tranny in a weekend. I've re-built the top and bottom ends a few times. Easy. Checking the valve clearance on my DR650 4 stroke, major pain in the ass. 2 stroke's are cheaper and easier to maintain. I have both and do all the work on mine and Jarrods. Big difference. I would never recommend to anyone to buy a 2 stroke 500 that has not been riding. Death sentence. A 2 stroke 250 will have more than enough power for almost every situation. I ride mine hard with all the Bogley guys and only in the straights do I feel a slight lack of top end power. You'll find that a 500 is going to be heavy and just too much bike unless you're dune riding every weekend.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Man I wish I had some of this advise a year ago. You know before I went nutts and jumped into a 650 4T.
    Could have saved me some real heart ache not to mention funds.

Yeh I forgot about the pia for adjusting valves. Hell the ten minutes it takes me to pull the tank just to find out they are still fine sucks.

Truth be told I have a harder time with the two throttle lines than I ever had with the Valves. Hmmm must be a HONDA thing.

However I still have to run out and pull my Yami tank and check my lash settings on this YZ. Thank god the previous owner left me with a book.

There's an old saying in the skiing know how.
    Short ski's suck.
    And long ski's truck.
    But waxing them and edging them takes a little longer.

RED I think the bottom line is get the best deal you can ( and right now is the best time to buy ) on a bike that suites you best and like others have said just ride.
    If it's a 2t or 4t if it's something that you are serious about then just do it and lets get together and ride it into the ground

2 stroke: Lighter, shorter gearing, more power per cc, peaky power, and can be less maintenance than a 4 stroke (depending on the extras you have for Enduro IE: street legal kit, racks, fuel cell, etc.)
    4 stroke: Heavier, wide or short gearing (IE- WR450 vs YZ450), less power per cc, linear power with more low end lug. A 4 stroke is at least 2-3 times more money to rebuild. At least for the top end. I can's speak for the tranny or bottom end.

The only bike I have heard to stay away from is the Honda during certain years up until a few years ago. It was a valve issue. I'm sure you will get more than one comment on this, so that should help.

I wish there was an easy answer, but if you like 4 strokes, I'd get a 450. If you like 2 strokes, get a 250.
    Again, Keep in mind the wide ratio trans will only be on the 4 strokes. Yamaha WR450, Suzuki DR400(a bit more tame and easier to ride) or RMX450z, Kawasaki KLX450 or Honda CR450X.

KTM makes any combination you can possibly imagine, but as you've acknowledged, they are not cheap.

If you guys decide to ride one day, put an invite up. You're welcome to ride my WR450 and I'm sure I have an older YZ250 you could sample.

Later Oh yeah, I LOVE my Wr450, but I have spent a lot of cash to get there!
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

Personally I think if your trying to stay under the 2k thing I would push the YZ250 two stroke and it sounds like you have a chance to try one out(40cal) at 5 mile.

I love your WR450 also. Any chance of trading trannies :)

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpecialized View Post
    So Fourty, I would love to try out your 250 sometime.....were you serious about this weekend at 5 mile? I maybe able to swing that some time saturday, let me know and I can see. I haven't been out there for years.
    Sure thing, I am ready whenever. I should be ready to leave Midvale at around 10:00am. You are welcome to ride with me from here or meet out there. Just give me a ring. 801-560-1418.

Right on fourtycal- you the man.

Right on fourtycal- you the man.
    Hey I need a warm up for Sundays Cherry Creek ride anyway, plus I have not ridden since Knolls way back last weekend

Hey that's great but your the man getting Redspecialized hooked up with the 250. I really think it will help him with his answer.
    He's probably capable with something bigger but I think because it's been awhile he will like the 250.

Glad to see you being so calm while waiting for the 2012 WR. I'd be in the funny farm by now. Oh where am I now

Is cherry creek a race? That's about the only time I here of it.

Is cherry creek a race? That's about the only time I here of it.
    There are a couple of races a year out there north of the sand dunes. I have been to the races but for me Cherry creek is just a hundred miles of awesome diverse singletrack. You can make it mountains, desert and sand dunes in the same ride.

As far as the two stroke goes, after riding with Nelson and a few other friends on 250 smokers I am convinced they can get the job done. About the time I get the hang of it I will have a new 450