Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New bike help

Did you make it out to fivemile fourty? Snow?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Did you make it out to fivemile fourty? Snow?
    A skiff of snow on the north facing slopes but none other than that, Just tacky enough but not muddy. It was excellent really and I think we have a couple of Bogley members stoked about buying dirtbikes

Sweet! I was going to try and come out, but I didn't want to push my luck. Saving points for the St. George trip in 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal View Post
    I think we have a couple of Bogley members stoked about buying dirtbikes
    That's great!! It's exciting to know the group may grow.
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

Fourty's the man!! He let me and redfox take a spin on two of his 250's 2~srtokes. it was a blast!! hopefully soon ill be able to get one. Now I just need to rideone of the new 4t's so I can comepare.

The people on here sure have been super nice and helpful. I hope to be ridding with you soon!
    THANKS!!

Yep, Keith is a stud and one of the nicest guys around!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    Yep, Keith is a stud and one of the nicest guys around!
    I second that!
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

First of all, a big thanks to Keith for letting me try out his motorcyles this past Saturday. I would be interested in hearing anyones input regarding a 2007 honda crf250r. Keith already told me that it would be under powered. I was leaning more toward a 2 stroke based on the cheaper maintainance, however it seems that the 4 strokes are more readily available to buy. I have ridden the 450's and they most definitely have plenty of power. I have not ridden the 250's. I have a friend in Texas that wants to sell me his 2007 crf250r that he simply doesn't ride.

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    First of all, a big thanks to Keith for letting me try out his motorcyles this past Saturday. I would be interested in hearing anyones input regarding a 2007 honda crf250r. Keith already told me that it would be under powered. I was leaning more toward a 2 stroke based on the cheaper maintainance, however it seems that the 4 strokes are more readily available to buy. I have ridden the 450's and they most definitely have plenty of power. I have not ridden the 250's. I have a friend in Texas that wants to sell me his 2007 crf250r that he simply doesn't ride.
    My buddy has a great wr250. The four stroke 250's have power....but....he quickly falls behind on any kind of straight away or long steady climbs. However, his bike is light, flickable, and just as competent in the gnarly stuff. Personally I think it would be a great starter bike. You will outgrow it but not for several years.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Shawn & I test rode a 2001 cr 500 tonight. Anyone know what a fair price for a bike like that should be? It was in good shape for an 11 year old bike. the only thing that worried me a little is out wouldn't idle. Is that normal for 2 strokes?

We got to test ride it in a field behind there home in the dark. So couldn't really ride it that well, but from what I could tell it had quite a bit of low end torque. I think the fmf gnarly pipe probably helped.

Here at some pics. Shawn really liked the graphics.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Mine idles. It's just a jetting issue. Lots of 2 stroke owners will make it so it doesnt idle since they tend to idle high when hot. Simple to adjust, it's a matter of adjusting the air screw and idle screw at operating temperature. You may find that once it idles it bogs somewhere else, if this happens then you may have to actually re-jet it (easy to do and only $20). I'm glad someone likes those graphics.......

How was everything else? Any fork leaks? how did the chain and sprockets look? Cables? Brakes? Hoses? Will it need to be re-sprung for suspension? Compression? Will it need a new top end anytime soon? Any clutch slippage? Clean shifting or was it clunky? things to think about.

I can't imagine any 2 stroke that's as old as this one going for more than $1500.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Yeah, I was going to say $1000.

As cold as it is outside I am not surprised it will not idle. I had to bump up the Idle jet one size in my 250 to get idle in this weather. Simple carb cleaning and adjustment will probably do it.

About the price, the 500's have a following, especially 99-01, just before Honda quit building them. I bet the guy gets a couple grand if he holds out. You should probably start low, I guess 1500 but if he has watched the classifieds he will know what he can get out of it.

Good luck

Thanks forall the advice. The guy had it listed for 2,300. I told him I'd give him 1,500 and he said the lowest he'd go was 2,000. After reading your comments on here, I told him no thanks. I'm just worried on a bike that old how much work need to be done. It already needed clutch and brake levers, Grips, chain & sprockets carb work most likely, fork seal (had rebuild kit he would throw in). So that one maybe a no go.

I did find a 96, kx500 that looks like its in Great shape!! He'll throw in a paddle and rim. Has bush busters on the bars. Fmf gnarly pipe. I'll be looking at it this sat. The guy wants 1,800 but I probably could get it for 1,500. Said he's owned it for 10 yrs and hasn't ridden it much the last 6yrs. Anyones thoughts would be helpful.

Hey Red, There is a CR 500 about 89 that has been in storage for the last 22 yrs. Looks like brand new in the KSL photos. I think he's asking 2000 but asking and getting are two different things. I think they had more power but less suspension. From what little I can see I think it may only have a few hrs. on it.
    This is in the St. George area but I think he will drop off to SLC or something like that. Might just get it for 1200. People think there shtuff is gold down here until they get a dose of reality.
    But they don't rust without salted roads LMAO.
    I think he did mention it was way to much bike for him, In his add. The area zippy is 84770 if it helps at all in the KSL adds?
    If you want I can run over and give it the once over and report back if interested? You know with ?'s and a camera. But bear in mind I am not moto mech.

Mtn thanks for being willing to help a brother out. An 89 is getting pretty old. I may be interested depending on the price. I know the first few yrs. Had drum brakes on the rear. I think 89 was the first it was dics. If you don't mind can you look it over and let me know what you think and how much he will take for it. Id feel bad to put stratches on such a cean bike, but some one has to do it.

Sorry, It must have sold.

My bad. I did find it after all. This is on KSL zip 84770 used dirt bikes parts.
    He has it listed in the dirt bike parts is why I had a hard time relocating it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I can get it 2005 crf 450 r for 2,100. it had stainless steel valves put in and a high compression piston and the hutchinson clutch. is that a good deal or should I stay away