Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Six Officers Shot in Ogden, UT

Six Officers Shot in Ogden, UT

Yikes!

--

One of six police officers shot while serving a search warrant at an Ogden home Wednesday night has died of his injuries.

Ogden police identify him as Jared Francom. In a news release, police said he has "served the citizens of Ogden City with honor for seven years." He is survived by his wife and two young children.

Five other police officers from multiple agencies remain hospitalized with serious to critical injuries.

The suspect remains at a local hospital under guard, in stable condition with non-life threatening injuries. The suspect's name has not been released.

The shooting took place at 3268 Jackson Ave. at 8:40 p.m.

Witnesses say they heard three quick pops followed by a two to three minute pause, then lots of gunfire.

Nearby resident Clayton Payne said, "I was sitting in the front room watching TV, heard three pops. My fianc

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Unbellievable! Hope the other officers fare well? My Condolences go to the family and friends of the slain officer.

This is horrible, I'm speaking with the school officer here, and a teacher's husband was on the crew.

Oh.... and the shooter lived.

Here in New York a guy killed a cop a few weeks ago too. And he lived, too. I am beginning to think the cops are not doing their job very well.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow View Post
    I am beginning to think the cops are not doing their job very well.
    Yup... the coppers are slacking.... there are usually no survivors when it involves one of there own.

More info on this;

The task force got some bad intel, the guy wasn't supposed to be there at the time of the search warrant. Plus the guy only had a few misdemeanors and wasn't deemed armed and dangerous.

Bad deal.

The teacher I work with, her husband is on that task force and called in sick last night. So of course he's feeling all kinds of bad, feeling some undeserved guilt for not being there. That sucks.

Getting worse, I just learned that my buddy Jason was shot in this incident. He's out of the hospital now though.

See how to embed KSL Videos in your posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Getting worse, I just learned that my buddy Jason was shot in this incident. He's out of the hospital now though.

See how to embed KSL Videos in your posts

That sucks man. Sad deal indeed.

"A 12-man narcotics task force was serving a search warrant...."

Do you know what it was the narcotics task force was serving a search warrant for?

MARIJUANA - that the shooter was growing in his own house for his own personal use.

So.....one guy is dead, his wife a widow, his two young children fatherless, and 5 other officers in serious condition....all over Marijuana. Was it worth it?

I think Brian Griffin said it best:

"No more repression! We as American adults with free will have the right to use marijuana if we choose to! Enough government profiteering under the guise of morality! Enough with this phony war on drugs!"

http://video.adultswim.com/family-guy/bag-of-weed.html
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

You mean we're not winning the war on drugs?!?

Legalize them all.... and then tax the hell out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Was it worth it?
    This is a horrible incident but I agree with the question. I hate to think what would happen if I was startled awake by my door being smashed in and men in black entering my house. I am sure they yelled police before entering but what if that didn't register while the man was asleep? Crazy to think how simple it might have been to avoid this. I imagine the guy would have surrendered his plant had any authority just asked but instead we have a dead officer and a stoner facing the death penality

"A 12-man narcotics task force was serving a search warrant...."

Do you know what it was the narcotics task force was serving a search warrant for?

MARIJUANA - that the shooter was growing in his own house for his own personal use.

So.....one guy is dead, his wife a widow, his two young children fatherless, and 5 other officers in serious condition....all over Marijuana. Was it worth it?
    My immediate thought upon hearing this was "just another pointless death in the war on drugs".

Legalize, tax and regulate! Remove the criminal element and make room in our over-crowded prisons for violent offenders. The war on drugs is a joke.
    How can you have your non-dairy pudding substitute if you don't eat your wok-braised tofu?

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal View Post
    I imagine the guy would have surrendered his plant had any authority just asked but instead we have a dead officer and a stoner facing the death penality

I agree with the notion that he would've surrendered his weed by non-violent means.

This morning's Tribune mentioned that "his parents knew that he was using marijuana because of anxiety and depression, but didn't want to use prescription drugs." Doesn't sound like a hardened criminal to me - especially considering his past (his record was squeaky clean, and an army vet). In that light I don't believe he was a stoner. I think if he lived in California or Colorado he might've had a prescription for marijuana and one cop would still be alive and he wouldn't be in prison.

I can't really fault the cops - they were just following orders. IMO the guy who gave the orders to the cops to break down the front door with guns a blazin' is one of the biggest culprits in this mess.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

True, Mary Jane seems like such a low priority for this type of stuff, but there's more to the story than that.

Once while smoking it I stuck a rubber hand up my ass. I didn't shit right for 3 weeks!

Plus, it would be an interesting note if it was just the "mellow ever calming chilled out" marijuana, and at the same time the dude keeps a loaded AK-47 ready to rock.

Still a sad deal. These guys are doing 3-4 of these a week, most of them go down without incident. Plus, there must be some kind of history with the harmless plant if they need a dozen officers geared up for every raid. The effects of smoking the plant are usually calming, but smoking it is just a partial piece of the whole possession, distribution, and agriculture picture.

Anybody ever stumble upon a crop outdoors, and suddenly fear for your life? You probably should.

the dude keeps a loaded AK-47 ready to rock.
    If you were single, not using any drugs, and living in a home w/o children, would you consider having an AK-47 "ready to rock" as a bad thing?
    How can you have your non-dairy pudding substitute if you don't eat your wok-braised tofu?

Quote Originally Posted by bbennett View Post
    If you were single, not using any drugs, and living in a home w/o children, would you consider having an AK-47 "ready to rock" as a bad thing?
    Not if the Rabbit Hunt was early the next morning

I've only stumbled upon a huge marijuana growing orchard 1 time and yes I was frightened and armed with only a .22 rifle.

One more thing about the blessed herb

Even if it get's legalized here like in other states, the same raids would take place because you still can't grow it, can't distribute it, must have the right grade of herb, and can't excede your prescribed amount.

Being able to get a legal prescribed high is STILL a very small slice of the whole marijuana pie (or shall we say brownie). Just don't have a rubber hand available. Legalizing it will do hardly anything for the "movement". So many restrictions will still be in place.

Just like Percocet being legal via prescription. You must carry the prescription with you, it's illegal to buy on the street or from a friend, and you will have a warrant on your hands if the task force catches wind of it.

"Legalizing" will just put a dent in the street sale and home agriculture, the same amount of warrants and searches will be served, and unfortunately unnecessary deaths.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I agree with the notion that he would've surrendered his weed by non-violent means.

This morning's Tribune mentioned that "his parents knew that he was using marijuana because of anxiety and depression, but didn't want to use prescription drugs." Doesn't sound like a hardened criminal to me - especially considering his past (his record was squeaky clean, and an army vet). In that light I don't believe he was a stoner. I think if he lived in California or Colorado he might've had a prescription for marijuana and one cop would still be alive and he wouldn't be in prison.

I can't really fault the cops - they were just following orders. IMO the guy who gave the orders to the cops to break down the front door with guns a blazin' is one of the biggest culprits in this mess.
    Apparently he had no intention of surrendering his weed.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1886...capital-murder

Last summer, Matthew David Stewart told a friend that if police officers ever tried to stop his marijuana cultivation, he'd "go out in a blaze of glory and shoot to kill."
    and

After the officers entered the home and cleared the basement and the main floor, they continued to announce their presence with no response as they went through the house. Stewart surprised the group and allegedly started shooting.
    Chere'