Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandthrax Buffoonery

Sandthrax Buffoonery

I don't know if anyone else has posted this, but I thought it was too entertaining not too share.

http://awclimbingadventures.wordpres...thrax-debacle/

I've gotten too cocky going into canyons and climbs before but I think this story trumps anything I've experienced.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That sounds horrible.

I can certainly identify with the over confident and underestimating.....

.......Great story

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post
    I don't know if anyone else has posted this, but I thought it was too entertaining not too share.
    yes it's been posted before, but well worth the read again. thanks for the reminder

thread from price about his friends epic
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...rax-submission

I remember that thread. It contained this classic statement by Shane:

"I really believe there are only two types of canyoneers in the world..... Those that have spent a night in a forced bivy.... and.... those who are going to spend a night in a forced bivy....."

I just hope when I do my forced bivy as an overweight "middle aged" person, I am smart enough to have more gear with me than those boys.

Still 5.10c in sneakers when it counts-got to like that.

Ken

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post

Still 5.10c in sneakers when it counts-got to like that.

Ken
    I don't like that. Lucky to have survived. Much safer and easier to complete the canyon. Not all that hard from that point out, certainly not 5.10, or I'd still be in there. Perhaps bringing a rope for the raps MIGHT have been a good idea.

Yahweh protects children and fools - overlap here.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Much safer and easier to complete the canyon. Not all that hard from that point out,
    Their story sounds a lot like our first attempt.... I tell everyone we really didn't get stuck, we just ran out of daylight, at which point we just wanted to get the hell out of the slot. We also would have been much better off just finishing the slot instead of climbing straight out. But when you are in the slot you have no clue how much longer, and when you look straight up you at least know where the finish line is and how much time, skill and effort it is going to take to extract your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Their story sounds a lot like our first attempt.... I tell everyone we really didn't get stuck, we just ran out of daylight, at which point we just wanted to get the hell out of the slot. We also would have been much better off just finishing the slot instead of climbing straight out. But when you are in the slot you have no clue how much longer, and when you look straight up you at least know where the finish line is and how much time, skill and effort it is going to take to extract your ass.

Seems like for you guys, it might of also been better to go back to the beginning, and engineer an escape there.

Of course, hindsight is 20-15; functioning in combat conditions is entirely different.

If I had a point, it was that there are several injuries where people tried to 'escape' the canyon, when finishing it off would have been easier and WAY safer.

Tom

I should probably point out that my use of the word "buffoonery" refers to the definition "Behavior that is ridiculous but amusing" and not "stupid behavior". The title of the post was meant to convey amusement and not condescension. Lord knows I've engaged in plenty of buffoonery before.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

Thanks XXnitsua for clarifying that, I saw a spike in traffic and wondered where it was coming from, evidently here! Like I said, lots of lessons learned!

Quote Originally Posted by Calmadrenaline View Post
    I saw a spike in traffic and wondered where it was coming from, evidently here! Like I said, lots of lessons learned!
    Welcome to Bogley.

Thanks for taking the time to write up your epic.

I don't like that. Lucky to have survived. Much safer and easier to complete the canyon. Not all that hard from that point out, certainly not 5.10, or I'd still be in there. Perhaps bringing a rope for the raps MIGHT have been a good idea.

Tom
    I admit the guilty pleasure of reading the story. I am going to take your word about conditions in Santhrax. Unless I accidentally fall from a plane into the place, I have no plans to test my metal in there. The metal just isn't as hard as it once was (OK, perhaps it was never that hard).

Ken

Id just like to clear up a few things,

A. I have edited the TR to exclude that Tom is a nutjob, I dont know him personally and have never met him, therefore have no basis for saying that. This started as a personal blog post, but now it is far from it, that particular sentiment stemmed from the personal feeling of myself and a close few others that many of the canyons he had rated were beefed up. The function of that was mainly to hi-light our over confidence, not to take a shot at Tom. I dont necessarily call myself a canyoneer as climbing is my main focus so what do I know.

B. The vast canyoneering public being middle aged and overweight line: Well you all kind of ar..... kidding. That line was also meant only to hi-light our arrogance and over confidence which we know was present, not to take a shot at any of you.

C. This was almost two years ago and one of the only close-to-getting-really-nasty epics I have had and the only one in a canyon, Ive had a few forced bivys, and too many expected ones to count in my climbing career thus far, I think that just means Im out there getting after it, nature happens, days are only so long, and objectives are objectives even when things dont quite go according to plan. I really like that quote spinesnaper posted as well "I really believe there are only two types of canyoneers in the world..... Those that have spent a night in a forced bivy.... and.... those who are going to spend a night in a forced bivy....."

D. We will be returning this spring to clean up our webbing, I dont rock "protect wild utah" stickers on my car cause it looks cool. You may ask why we havent done it yet since it has been almost two years.. well, its a relatively low traffic canyon, Im not usually in the area, and, well its not going to be an easy task. Oh, and convincing someone to go as braiden my partner for the epic has sworn never to return!

Cheers,

-Adam

Thank you Adam.

B. The vast canyoneering public being middle aged and overweight line: Well you all kind of ar..... kidding. That line was also meant only to hi-light our arrogance and over confidence which we know was present, not to take a shot at any of you.
    But, really Adam, the funny thing is that quite a bit of the canyoneering A Team IS both silverback and a tad soft around the middle. But as you point out, on occasion, we can still get it done. A case where experience and cunning perform better than youth and ambition. Then again, the ambitious youth that also have cunning and experience can do some amazing things!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    C. ... I've had a few forced bivys, and too many expected ones to count in my climbing career thus far, I think that just means I'm out there getting after it, nature happens, days are only so long, and objectives are objectives even when things dont quite go according to plan. I really like that quote spinesnaper posted as well "I really believe there are only two types of canyoneers in the world..... Those that have spent a night in a forced bivy.... and.... those who are going to spend a night in a forced bivy....."
    I feel it my duty to keep Mr. Ram's honor intact - our ONLY unplanned canyon bivy together (and Ram's ONLY unplanned bivy EVER), while perhaps close to equally our faults (at best), was karmically definitely mine to own. Mr. Ram has an almost Beckeyish tally of days out, yet has only the one unplanned bivy, with me; while through my modest climbing career I was, at least among my friends, the king of the unplanned bivy. Including a particularly frustrating night on the Great White Icicle. Canyoneering, somewhat better - I have only the Psycho Damage and a non-technical canyon bivy in Cedar Mesa due to over-trustfulness of my new GPS unit. Knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    D. We will be returning this spring to clean up our webbing, I dont rock "protect wild utah" stickers on my car cause it looks cool. You may ask why we havent done it yet since it has been almost two years.. well, its a relatively low traffic canyon, Im not usually in the area, and, well its not going to be an easy task. Oh, and convincing someone to go as braiden my partner for the epic has sworn never to return!
    Good on ya - thanks. Tom

Our group tried removing the webbing when we were there. Jason's massive arms wouldn't allow him into the crack. My puny little arms weren't long enough. I think perhaps a coat hanger can be used to reach in and grab it.
    I wouldn't worry about going in just to retrieve webbing. It is not noticeable until you are standing at the bottom of the crux. I am planning to be back in there in the spring, I will be happy to get it for you. Do you want it back? Perhaps, Braiden would like it for the "What were we thinking?" wall.
    We removed a pair of bright green sun glasses from the 'infamous' chockstones. We left the dried apricots.
    Penny

Id just like to clear up a few things,

A. I have edited the TR to exclude that Tom is a nutjob, I dont know him personally and have never met him, therefore have no basis for saying that. This started as a personal blog post, but now it is far from it, that particular sentiment stemmed from the personal feeling of myself and a close few others that many of the canyons he had rated were beefed up. The function of that was mainly to hi-light our over confidence, not to take a shot at Tom. I dont necessarily call myself a canyoneer as climbing is my main focus so what do I know.

C. This was almost two years ago and one of the only close-to-getting-really-nasty epics I have had and the only one in a canyon, Ive had a few forced bivys, and too many expected ones to count in my climbing career thus far, I think that just means Im out there getting after it, nature happens, days are only so long, and objectives are objectives even when things dont quite go according to plan. I really like that quote spinesnaper posted as well "I really believe there are only two types of canyoneers in the world..... Those that have spent a night in a forced bivy.... and.... those who are going to spend a night in a forced bivy....."

Cheers,

-Adam
    Welcome to Bogley. Your post makes me sad though. You posted an awesome story and we all enjoyed reading it. I think you should have let it stand as is. Now I see you back pedaling and trying to apologize or something. This is not needed in any way. We've all made slight mistakes over the years that have resulted in stuff like this and no one is judging you. And if they are, then screw them..... Gotta push the envelope every once in a while and live a bit, some people don't understand that. I think xxnitsuaxx said it best, we are laughing with you, not at you. And Tom's book is completely inaccurate sometimes, I find Iceaxe's info more reliable personally. but they are general guides and not gospel, simply proceed with caution. But being a rock climber I'm sure you've noticed how you can solve a crux easier than your friends, and they can probably solve certain ones you can't. Our bodies are all built differently and that is to be expected and rejoiced in. So a canyon can be rated differently depending on different skillsets. I can't tell you how many times our climbing group has said to one member "How did you get up that, you are smoking crack and insane!". Every time we enter a new canyon with beta, we are aware of this and sometimes we have to pay for it, haha.

Anyways it was a great story, don't apologize, and please post more of your adventures in the future. You rock!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

B. The vast canyoneering public being middle aged and overweight line: Well you all kind of ar..... kidding.
    You can make all of the fun you like.... you will be joining the club soon enough.

As you are now, so once were we.... As we are now, you will one day be.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Welcome to Bogley. Your post makes me sad though. You posted an awesome story and we all enjoyed reading it. I think you should have let it stand as is.
    x2

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    And Tom's book is completely inaccurate sometimes...
    Name one.

Tom

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Name one.

Tom
    the helmet wearing part

[/sarcasm]