Thread: Dark Canyon

Dark Canyon

Has anyone ever backpacked down Black Steer Canyon and up Lost Canyon in Dark Canyon? Is it possible to follow Lost Canyon from where it enters Black Canyon to top? A Black Steer Canyon-Lost Canyon loop would seem a good place for a 6 or 7 day trip with lots of layovers for day hikes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by wyboy View Post
    Has anyone ever backpacked down Black Steer Canyon and up Lost Canyon in Dark Canyon? Is it possible to follow Lost Canyon from where it enters Black Canyon to top? A Black Steer Canyon-Lost Canyon loop would seem a good place for a 6 or 7 day trip with lots of layovers for day hikes.
    Heya WYBoy--

You will probably get more of a response after the holidays as a lot of people love the Dark Canyon complex. I hiked down Sundance, then down-canyon a ways and then all the way up and out Horse Pasture Canyon last year. Great canyon. BUT... the middle part (near Black Steer) is probably my least favorite part. There is no water and the route is just a cobble-stone wash.

I don't believe there is any way up/down out of Lost/Long Canyon past the dryfall. Others may know more.

Lean-To Canyon you can exit, but you have to take the high route which begins way down near the conlfuence with Dark.

I saw two granaries in the upper end of Dark Canyon. There are probably more ruins, but it's not anything like Cedar Mesa. Better ruins in Fable Canyon from what I understand. The old Scorup cabin in the upper end of Dark is interesting though.

You can get to Cataract Canyon via Dark. This requires a high route bypass for a section as well. This part of the canyon is really nice with pools, falls and scenic cliffs -- but it's not for those with a fear of heights (or drops I guess!) There's not much walking along the Colorado once you are at the bottom.

- Jamal

The impressive part of Dark Canyon begins just below Black Steer Canyon, so it might not be a bad entry point. There is a ropeless route down Black Steer Canyon, but it's complicated and steep. I can probably draw it on a map if you really want to do the route.

Lost Canyon is a bit disappointing in comparison to Dark and Youngs Canyons, but there is apparently a ropeless route through.

The best loop in the Dark Canyon complex, in my opinion is Youngs and Lean To. Lower Youngs Canyon is super impressive and the best part of Dark Canyon is between Youngs and Lost Canyons. The loop is very rugged though, but worth it if you are an experienced hiker.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    There is a ropeless route down Black Steer Canyon, but it's complicated and steep.
    He's right. This is the way we went down. Full packs made it down just fine, but it is a little tricky and pretty steep. I would also say that there isn't reliable water until you hit Youngs (as I remember). We got to the bottom of Black Steer into Dark and dug a seep. Worked, but had to filter the silt out through bandannas. It's kind of a catch-22 since if there's enough water to be somewhat reliable at the bottom of Black Steer, there's probably still a good bit of snow up on top, which can make it difficult to access in a vehicle. If it's dry up top, you may not have good water for a while down at the bottom. So far, the Wasatch Front has gotten next to nothing for snow...not sure how it is down there.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?