Thread: Old people in Dark Canyon

Old people in Dark Canyon

[FONT=Times New Roman]I am looking for a good place to backpack into and set up a base camp for day hikes for a trip the end of May. Last year we camped in Robber

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We backpacked down Dark Canyon from Black Steer to the Colorado in May 2001. Three days. Weather could be very hot. Don't know much about Lost or Lean-To but you can get down to Cataract without much difficulty. On the way down I believe there was a 15' drop into a pool. We jumped in and then ziplined our packs down over it. There are quite a few areas for swimming and cliff jumping, at least in the main Dark Canyon flow. I didn't see much in the way of hiking along Cataract - we had a boat pick us up and ferry us back to Hite - but I wouldn't count on it during high runoff season. You should check Google Earth to get a better idea. I didn't see any Indian Ruins, but that doesn't mean they're not there. Do a search on Dark Canyon and you should find some more detailed info on this forum.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

Thanks for the response, Sun Dance. Also is it possible to backpacked down Black Steer Canyon and up Lost Canyon in Dark Canyon? Is it possible to follow Lost Canyon from where it enters Black Canyon to top? A Black Steer Canyon-Lost Canyon loop would seem a good place for a long (6 or seven day) trip with lots of layovers for day hikes.