Thread: Sawtooth Wilderness Idaho - 60 mile Traverse

Sawtooth Wilderness Idaho - 60 mile Traverse

Slideshow for our 60 mile trip through the Sawtooth's. Four of us started at Iron creek TH and ended at Alturas lake TH. Some off trail, some on trail. Some hard days, some easier days. Caught a LOT of fish.....

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Day 1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Epic, man. Kudos to you. I gotta get up there sometime soon - only five hours to the southern slopes.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

I assume most of your food was fish...I wouldn't want to pack ten days' worth of freeze dried crap all that way. How much food did you start out with? What if you *gasp* didn't catch any fish?
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

Packed freeze dried for the entire trip......I never count on fish, to iffy. Total pack weight including camera and fishing gear, not including water was 35 lbs.

Well, I guess you gotta make some sacrifices if you wanna see that much country in ten days.

Got my gear down to decent weight and carry the right combination to be comfortable in most conditions. Even our 13 day Winds Traverse my pack was only 45lbs at the start.......by the end it was 25lbs. Pretty happy with my setup.

If you were to do a two-nighter in this area, what route would you choose? Iron Creek or Alturas side? Would you change the route at all to see more spectacular lakes or those with better fishing?

Also, are they starting to go liberal and charging fees to park at either of these trailheads?

Nice Report! Yeah, you certainly have the packing down to a science.

Rumor had it they were charging to park at TH's. We parked at Alturas and there was no pay station. We had a shuttle drop us at Iron Crk TH and I didn't notice a pay station. I put together our route to stay higher for scenery and hit some fishing. A lot of the trails are in the bottom of hugh canyons. Obviously the more you are on the east side the more people you will see, its popular. Depends on your on trail speed and how well you do elev gains.
    From Iron Crk you have two directions to go: to Goat Lk area or towards Sawtooth Lk. There is a nice loop from Petit-Farley-Toxaway-Twin-Alice-Petit (abt 14m). Out of Redfish Lk you can catch the boat shuttle ($8 each, saves 5 miles walking each way)-Cramer-Hidden-Edith-Imogene-HellRoaring-Redfish (abt 33m). Alturas- Alpine-Alturas (13m trail,abt 21m total). You really need one more night to do justice.......

How did you keep your GPS running for so long? Did you have one of those solar power packs?

Nope, figure 2 AA per day and 1 spare set. Have a solar thing now to try though. Camera uses its own type and I have a spare for that, but never haved used it. Headlamp is AAA and I carry 2 sets for that.

Wonderful trip report and loved the slide show! Thanks for sharing. If you're a mind to post it what's your gear list for this trip?
    [COLOR=#800080][FONT=franklin gothic medium]"Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L

Here ya go...........................

Latitude Vapor pack (3600ci), Rainbow Tarptent w/ftprint, Ultralamina15 bag, silk liner, Neoair pad, sleeping socks, Crux stove+2 8oz cans, MSR Kettle & Cup, Spoon, 2 bics, 2 foil pie plates (for fish), fire blanket, Micropur tabs, 1.5lbs/day food/snacs/Honeystinger energy supl, 2 1ltr Platys w/drink tube, 3" folding knife, 50'rope to hang food bag, 2 lg LocSaks (odor proof food bags), petzlXp light, thermal top, 1pr extra socks/under, collapsible pole ultratlight spinning reel, spinners/flys (2lbs worth), extra spool 4lb line, 60csx GPSr, 3 extra AAA, 14 extra AA batteries, map, first aid stuff, Lumix FZ40 camera w/case extra card battery, wearing: zipoff pants, long sleeve shirt, wide brim hat, Scarpa Kailish boots. Thats about it. Pack, tent, sleeping gear weighs in at 8.8 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bobb169 View Post
    Pack, tent, sleeping gear weighs in at 8.8 lbs.
    I'm so jealous! My pack (empty) weighs 7 lbs!

How do you like your tarp tent? I've been looking at getting a new tent!

I've had it about 4yrs, really like it. The three guys I hike with liked the Rainbow so much they all went and got them.....
    Haven't had it in a full blown snowstorm tho. Been in 50+ winds in Canyonlands, high altitude stuff in the Winds, lots of rain. It weighs 37 ozs (tent, footprint, stuff sac, 2 extra stakes and extra cord to tie it down in wind). It's roomy enough to put my pack in it in bad weather. You can sit up without hitting the top.

Thanks for the gear list. I like my Gossamer Gear The One tent. It is 1 lb, made out of spinnaker fabric so a little noisy but I think that lessens with use.
    [COLOR=#800080][FONT=franklin gothic medium]"Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L

Quote Originally Posted by bobb169 View Post
    I've had it about 4yrs, really like it. The three guys I hike with liked the Rainbow so much they all went and got them.....
    Haven't had it in a full blown snowstorm tho. Been in 50+ winds in Canyonlands, high altitude stuff in the Winds, lots of rain. It weighs 37 ozs (tent, footprint, stuff sac, 2 extra stakes and extra cord to tie it down in wind). It's roomy enough to put my pack in it in bad weather. You can sit up without hitting the top.
    Looking at these, I can't figure out exactly what the breathable liner does for ya. Do you know what it adds/does? The only thing I can figure out is that it makes it more like a double walled tent?

The liner keeps dew and frost from dropping on you.....supposedly. Single wall tents are notorious for collecting frost on dew on the inside. Adds a extra air layer to maybe warm the inside a little more as well.