Thread: Tourism is a Plague

Blog Entries

Tourism is a Plague

Yes, just 1 more day before a long, long break from work for Christmas and New Years!

Anywho, just read an article that others might be interested in (although nothing new). Just a time waster really..lol

Here's an excerpt:

"While I concede that tourism generates tremendous revenues (and much needed jobs), I feel that it has become a vulgar, tacky and somewhat pointless endeavor that does nothing whatsoever to benefit of either the traveler or the people in target countries. I am making a strong distinction between “travelers" and “tourists” – travelers voyage to foreign lands in order to immerse themselves in native cultures and experience something truly different and unique. Visiting other countries can be a profoundly life-altering or life-enriching experience.

I have been lucky enough to travel extensively in my life and I have treasured every journey I have made.

But “tourists”? Well, they’re only interested in spending money, having their passports stamped, and boasting to their friends back home that they’ve been to other places.

I have seen Americans in Europe who refuse to learn even the rudiments of the local language, refuse to communicate with the local people (unless they are fluent in English) and do little or nothing to explore the local culture. They go from hotel-to-tourist site-back-to-hotel, all the while taking photographs and writing inane post cards home.

I have seen Americans in Paris (Paris!) go for lunch at McDonalds, and then go to an American-style sports bar to watch NFL football games.

But I am not limiting my criticism to the Americans."
    Full link: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/271028/20111221/tourism-new-york-visitors-air-travel-bloomberg.htm
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I thought the author must be a Moab native until I clicked the link.

All the locals here HATE the international tourists. The domestic tourists are difficult to distinguish from anyone else, but the international ones are for the most part extremely rude and underfoot much of the time, and don't (or won't) speak English.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    All the locals here HATE the international tourists. The domestic tourists are difficult to distinguish from anyone else, but the international ones are for the most part extremely rude and underfoot much of the time, and don't (or won't) speak English.
    This has completely been my experience in the National Parks of Utah - I was turned back on Angel's Point by a crowd of Germans who refused to aknowledge basic right of way courtesies.

I know it's the same way on the other side of the pond - my Grandma used to take the old people bus tours of Europe - 10 countries in 7 days.

Good article! Although the ones I run into who want to immerse themselves in a culture, actually makes up for it, IMO. I have run into the coolest people hiking in Zion for instance. We took a German family through Subway and having the kids say "this was more fun than Disneyland last week" still makes me smile to this day, going to Ireland and getting a tour from the "locals" and avoiding all tourist spots is a memory I will cherish forever. It's life changing to see how another culture lives and experience. Can't have one without the other.

So I think the author has it wrong. Those "tourist traps" keep all the undesirable retards in one place. Like when I lived in San Diego, you knew what bars, restaurants, hotels, malls, etc to avoid. So I am very grateful these places exist. Could you imagine if these people were spread all over the place and we had to interact with them? That would be a friggin nightmare.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

We New Yorkers don't like tourists either, both foreign and domestic. Fuggedaboutit! :D
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow View Post
    We New Yorkers don't like tourists either, both foreign and domestic. Fuggedaboutit! :D
    This seems reasonable---you block your border, we'll block ours.

Nice to see you posting KS

Nice to be back. The bed economy kind of took me for a ride with the unemployment thing and relocating back to Brooklyn for a job and all Oh well. Another year older, another bald spot emerging.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Yep, great to see you back KS.

+1 for welcome back Kapitan.

DC, I totally agree about those that want to immerse themselves in the local, rather than skim across the top of the culture to "see the sights". When we were in Europe in July, the best times weren't at the tourist traps, it was passing through the small villages, finding the local pubs (UK) or patisseries and brasseries (FR), trying out my rusty French - making an honest effort goes a long way - that made the trip special.

The same is true, of course, anywhere. Go to Germany, and it's the loud American, Canadian (yeah, right...), Japanese etc. tourists that will drive the locals nuts. You can bet, though, that for every obnoxious tourist, there is another nearby who is trying to absorb and fully enjoy the experience who just isn't noticed. It is the annoying tourist that is noticed.

I just have two words for those who really want to get into a local culture: COUCH SURFING!! We have met some of the most incredible people from other places who are truly interested in getting to know us and our area. Of course there are some who just want a "free" place to stay. But all in all it's been a great experience.
    If you don't have anything nice to say....come and sit by me.

Dana & Thane @ Couchsurfing.org