Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best of 2011 Canyoneering Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by jdamin View Post
    Attachment 50117

Here we have Atlas, Hamlet, The Thinker & Michelangelo's David. A mud masterpiece if I do say so myself
    This picture was taken at the end of Neon right before it runs into the Escalante. It had just rained the few days before and we floated the river down to Neon. Then we found the most squishy/slick mud and had an awesome time in it.
    - Gavin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ghawk View Post
    seconded
    And I was picturing Tom hauling someone up 300 feet. I assumed it was some type of typo and they really meant some other close to the end rap in Heaps but that would be a whole lot of flowing water in Heaps. Now that you mention it, it does look like it could be Boundry.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    If this photo is the last Rap in Heaps, then the Upper Emerald Pool was full to the brim as you are standing in it to retrieve your rope?
    If that's the last rap in Heaps its a different Heaps than the one I do.

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    I'm guessing most people know where this is?
    Actually... No. Where?

Quote Originally Posted by ghawk View Post
    This picture was taken at the end of Neon right before it runs into the Escalante. It had just rained the few days before and we floated the river down to Neon. Then we found the most squishy/slick mud and had an awesome time in it.
    Don't know what you boys was smoking..but just inspired. And who said a liberal arts education would never pay off?

Quote Originally Posted by Branin View Post
    Actually... No. Where?
    Grand Canyon, Grandview Trail

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    It must've been a really wet trip thru Heaps this day Bruce? If this photo is the last Rap in Heaps, then the Upper Emerald Pool was full to the brim as you are standing in it to retrieve your rope?
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce from bryce View Post
    While cleaning up our ropes at the bottom of the last rap in Heaps we realized that we had left a rope at the top. Oooops! The Emperor quickly rigged a haul system (not sure of the advantage Tom established) and our gorilla, Parker, quickly ascended up the waterfall to retrieve the rope (well not so quickly) with assistance of the haul team. Moral of the story: never pull your rope until you are sure of what's below you or to ensure you have all of your equipment.

Photo by Julie Burton of Australia
    If I remember correctly they did Boundary the day (or a few) before Heaps as team efficiency training to see if they worked together for Heaps. Anyways that's what I remember Julie telling me 6 months ago.

Epic and for the win on so many of these.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    If I remember correctly they did Boundary the day (or a few) before Heaps as team efficiency training to see if they worked together for Heaps. Anyways that's what I remember Julie telling me 6 months ago.
    Bruce apparently is not following the forum, much.

IN FACT, just for me, Heaps reduced its final rappel to 60 feet down an 80 degree chute, so Parker would not have to carry a 300 foot rope through the entire canyon...

and if you believe that... ... ...

Yes, the final rap in Boundary. Absence of the other rope was fortunately noticed before the rope was pulled. Parker volunteered to jug up the rope, and agreed to try my hare-brained "easier" scheme, which proved to be about the same amount of effort as just jugging up the rope.

Tom

Yup You are all correct!

It is the last rap in Boundary.
    And the prize for your correct answers will be to take me through an unnamed canyon next summer! LOL
    Last edited by bruce from bryce; 01-03-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: comment on
    bruce from bryce

'I used to work for the government; but I was not part of the problem'

You are so correct Tom

Have not been monitoring this site nor any others as I have been 'working my ass off'! Late nights (2:00am) and early wakeups (6:00am) make this old man very tired.
    bruce from bryce

'I used to work for the government; but I was not part of the problem'

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Bruce apparently is not following the forum, much.

IN FACT, just for me, Heaps reduced its final rappel to 60 feet down an 80 degree chute, so Parker would not have to carry a 300 foot rope through the entire canyon...

Tom
    Tom

Gosh, I think I have seen this technique before in an early canyoneering movie with Charleston Heston, Anne Baxter, and Edward G. Robinson. My recollection is a bit hazy but as I recall, the character played by Heston used an advanced ghosting method to move a vast number of canyoneers (boy scouts if I am not mistaken) through a dangerous class C canyon. I am pretty sure this is the correct image.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    Tom

Gosh, I think I have seen this technique before in an early canyoneering movie with Charleston Heston, Anne Baxter, and Edward G. Robinson. My recollection is a bit hazy but as I recall, the character played by Heston used an advanced ghosting method to move a vast number of canyoneers (boy scouts if I am not mistaken) through a dangerous class C canyon. I am pretty sure this is the correct image.

Ken
    This may be the best post of 2012. And it just started!
    --Cliff

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    This may be the best post of 2012. And it just started!
    Here, fixed that for you:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Here, fixed that for you:
    So much better.

- Gavin

Mindbender
    Name:  225114_101501786009&.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  77.3 KB