Thread: Avoid Sales Tax on ATV purchase?

Avoid Sales Tax on ATV purchase?

Anyone have any tax evasion ideas that actually work when looking to buy a used 4-wheeler? The mormon republican government really has this thing figured out and make it very difficult. How about finding a friend in Oregon willing to buy one for me?
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't know that you can easily avoid paying sales tax completely, but you can ask the seller if he/she is willing to write a very low sale price on the title when he/she signs it over. You only pay sales tax on the amount written on the title...
    Blog | FB

Yep, Utah and them crazy mormons republic are the only state I know of who taxes on personal property!

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    I don't know that you can easily avoid paying sales tax completely, but you can ask the seller if he/she is willing to write a very low sale price on the title when he/she signs it over. You only pay sales tax on the amount written on the title...
    Doesn't work like that anymore. The tax is now based off book value regardless of what you pay. They enter the make, model, and year into the system.. and you get to pay accordingly.

Huh. So if I actually pay $2900 for a machine that has a blue book value of $3500, I end up overpaying to the guvment?

Our government sucks.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Dance View Post
    Huh. So if I actually pay $2900 for a machine that has a blue book value of $3500, I end up overpaying to the guvment?

Our government sucks.
    Yes, and each time it's resold they take more.... talk about double-dipping.

Doesn't seem right. Anyone have any insight as to why they think this is right?

Sent from my Android

It's not based on book value. I just registered a snowmobile last week. Book value was over $3k, I paid $1800, it said $1800 on the title, I paid taxes on $1800. I've never seen them consider book value. I've had titles that said $1 on them and I paid taxes on $1.

I'll call the DMV and let you know what I find. Maybe snowmobiles are treated differently because they're two-stroke engines...

DMV says if you have a bill of sale it's based off that value. If you don't have the bill of sale it's based off blue book.

Have the seller write you a bill of sale for a much lower amount than what you actually pay. The guy I bought my car from did that, it saved me something $500 in tax on my car.

Years ago that worked... Now they charge you tax based on book value o the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    Years ago that worked... Now they charge you tax based on book value o the vehicle.
    It worked for my brother about a month ago.

Re: Avoid Sales Tax on ATV purchase?

Explain Kokopelli's Dec 20 post above then.

Here's what the Utah Tax Commission has to say about it:

http://dmv.utah.gov/registration/reg...-fees#salestax

"Sales and use tax is imposed on the purchase of a vehicle or watercraft and is calculated using the purchase price. Purchase price should be listed on the title being transferred or on a bill of sale."
    Blog | FB