Thread: Holy Sh*%...Crazy night

Holy Sh*%...Crazy night

Was out all day today delivering shirts for a charity, holiday shopping, saw Sherlock Holmes 2 at a private screening, and wrapped it up with a beer tasting at a friends house. Got home to find the glass in my back door shattered and the door unlocked. Consequently there was blood all over the house. It appeared who ever broke in tried to wipe up after himself. Cops came out to check the house and the Crime unit took blood samples and dusted for fingerprints. No sign of the apparent intruder. It appears (from blood spots) that he went into the cabinets, the fridge, some of our bags that were packed with camping supplies from last weekend, and the biggest blood spot of all was on the battle of Jim Beam. Appears that he took a swig or two from it. He apparently has a terrible taste in alcohol...2 bottles of high west were sitting right next to it untouched . We can't find anything missing except for a bottle of percocet left over from my ankle surgery years ago. Laptops were out, cameras, all my canyoneering gear and skiing gear scattered about, chrostmaas present out to be wrapped...yet nothing was missing.Cops left around 2:00 am and we attempted to calm down on the couch for a bit and then finally retired to bed around 2:30.

Woke up at 4:30 to hear the plastic rattling and being disturbed and could tell that the motion light was on in the backyard. I grabbed a crowbar (I don't own guns), Carrie was ready to dial 911, and I jumped out to my back entryway to find a hole ripped in the plastic and the door unlocked and unlatched again. She called 911 and the cops came and swept the perimeter then came in the house. Sure enough, they found a bloody and drunk old white guy trying to hide under the basement bed. He claims to live across the street in an apartment complex. We will find out more tomorrow. Now to try to get some sleep...might need that Whiskey (Of the High West variety) to take the edge off... What a night and a mixture of emotions. Just glad the guy was caught already.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That totally sucks! Nobody needs to go thru that shit! Better it was this drunk boozer than a real thief.
    That's one dose of reality!!

How can you have your non-dairy pudding substitute if you don't eat your wok-braised tofu?

Well that's too bad. Especially since you didn't even get to use the crowbar. Glad he was caught, at least.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Dang! Glad you didn't get robbed, but blood all over yuck!

Wow - what a crazy night! So, was much damage done, cost-wise? Potential house insurance claim, perhaps? Nice that you got to meet one of your neighbours.

By the way, thank you for disproving a stereotype about Americans for me (by not owning a gun). I thought all y'all had them. As an aside, I've wondered before how well an ice axe would serve in an altercation.

But how was the movie??

That dude has no clue how lucky he really is.... if it was my home (or many others) we would be talking double tap.

So.... how was the movie? worth seeing?

HOLY SNIKES! Crazy story.... Pleased to hear he was caught and that it looks like monetarily, you didn't lose anything of significance. I am sure your peace of mind is a little shaken though....

Luckily, nothing was lost of real consequence monetarily, probably $100 or so to replace the glass tomorrow and Carrie has to have ankle surgery next month, so the percocet supply will be replenished I am sure. More than anything, I think we are both on edge a bit. I know I kept waking this morning at the drop of a hat. I will feel a bit better once I have glass again as opposed to plastic securing my door. All the neighbors now have a keen eye out. I did talk to one of the neighbors a few houses down and he says he saw a green pickup truck circling the block early evening. He is always hanging out on his front porch smoking to, as he says, get away from the wife. He used to be a probation officer. He said he will report things sooner if they seem a bit fishy.

Cirrus2000, kind of funny you mention that. Last night for some reason the crowbar is the first thing that came to me, but I woke up this morning realizing the Ice Axe would probably be even better. Both are now sitting by my bed.

And, yes, the movie was quite good. I was surprised they did such a good job with the sequel. Certainly worth seeing.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    That dude has no clue how lucky he really is.... if it was my home (or many others) we would be talking double tap.
    Agreed. If I was home, he'd be hit by either .40/.45 or personal protection shotgun slug(s). If the wife were home alone, he'd have been hit by 9mm or .32. He would not have left our house alive. Glad that it worked out well (save for the damage and blood).
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    Agreed. If I was home, he'd be hit by either .40/.45 or personal protection shotgun slug(s). If the wife were home alone, he'd have been hit by 9mm or .32. He would not have left our house alive. Glad that it worked out well (save for the damage and blood).
    I can say ditto to the above. You demonstrated great restraint. With all of the new 911 instructions on when to dial 911, I wondered if anyone said anything to you or if this fell under the stop a crime category. I hope that you can once again find security in your own home quickly.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    umm . . . pics or it didn't happen

glad to hear everything is OK

Wow, sounds like your neighbor has some problems.

Sorry to hear about this. Hope you all are sleeping better.

Dang dude, it turned out relatively good but it still sucks to be reminded that it can happen any night. About once a week I think for about 30 seconds what I'd do if I heard somebody in the house, what action I'd take, stuff like that. But I REALLY don't want to find out.

Wow! That is crazy! I am glad there was some resolution in finding the guy. It is the violation that usually upsets me. Fortunately, sounds like this guy was pathetic and not dangerous.

Hope you sleep well.

That's actually a very scary story. Sure the guy was harmless, but what if he wasn't? If you won't get a gun at least consider getting a dog.

Glad your family is ok though. Wish you the best in recovering from this huge invasion of your privacy. Hope you can sleep soundly again.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Just one more reason to not break into peoples houses. You may break into someone who has a gun and then you are a real bloody mess!

Scarry stuff. I had a loaded 12 gauge on one side of my locked front door with some crazy person outside @ 2:30 AM several years ago. After he left and the cops came I was very shook up. Super duper glad I didnt need to defend myself and the family!

My only thought was, you will not be coming in the house!

I'm gonna wager the blood from the first incident matches the dude from the second....

Glad to hear all is well and everything can be un done.

Note to stealers, it aint worth it!

The drunk dude broke back in later, or was he under the basement bed for hours? Wow. Scary story either way.