Thread: Air Force Will Not Remove Holiday Display

Air Force Will Not Remove Holiday Display

Nativity scene and a Menorah in spite of a threat from The Military Religious Freedom Foundation.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'll never figure out why people care about stuff like this. Good for the Air Force for not backing down! Katherine Ritchey and the Military Religious Freedom Foundation as a whole needs to get laid and stop worrying about such trivial things.
    How can you have your non-dairy pudding substitute if you don't eat your wok-braised tofu?

Quote Originally Posted by bbennett View Post
    I'll never figure out why people care about stuff like this. Good for the Air Force for not backing down! Katherine Ritchey and the Military Religious Freedom Foundation as a whole needs to get laid and stop worrying about such trivial things.
    Well, yes, and no.
    When military leaders mandate attendance to the religious service of their (not your) choice, or when soldiers choosing not to attend a religious service are made to do work while religious soldiers attend services, or when (at the Air Force academy) religious based hazing of military students is happening, or when non-religious soldiers are forced to swear 'so help me god' in a government service enlistment oath, or even when non-religious military leaders refuse time for their soldiers to attend religious services, then there is a definite need for the Military Religious Freedom Foundation.
    On the other hand, the mention of Jesus AND a Menorah makes it sound like this winter-holiday display is intended to be all-inclusive. I imagine Jesus, the Menorah, a Yule Tree (Christmas tree), and Santa all part of a holiday menagerie on display. Inclusive (not exclusive to non-believers) is what the Military Religious Freedom Foundation should be fighting for.

And on a personal note, as a member of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, this kind of baseless-whiny-bullshit makes the organization look bad.

The Christmas holiday is riddled with pagan / non christian symbols, starting with the Christmas Tree. Even the date Dec 25th was adopted from the worship of the Sun God Mithra.

So regarding Christmas, and if a Gov't office puts up a Christmas tree, is the state sponsoring paganism?

If December 25th is a Federal Holiday, is the state sponsoring the worship of Mithra? Because after all, that is the origin of the December 25th festivities.

Oh, wait, forget what I said above about the Travis AFB Winter Holiday display being inclusive. I went to email my comments (above) to the Military Religious Freedom Foundation and found more info about this story (link below).
    The Military Religious Freedom Foundation was called in after the local military atheists were DENIED permission to erect a sign saying "Have a safe holiday season! -Travis AFB atheist community"
    THAT is illegal and deserving of an investigation and exactly why the Military Religious Freedom Foundation is needed.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/rockbeyo...ativity-scene/