Thread: Steamboat Backcountry

Steamboat Backcountry

We decided to save gas and go off the back side of the ski area (not drive up the pass or north). Since access is very limited, until they (ski area) get everything open, we knew it would be virtually untouched. 7 of us in all, lightly snowing when we left the area at about 9:20 am. Pretty casual climbing traverse to hit our first pitch. We dropped thru the trees in shin deep perfection. Being sure to make turns around any suspicious looking bumps or humps. 7 people can make a lot of noise in the woods when they're hooting they're asses off. 2 really sweet pitches down to the bog. OH YEAH!!
    Off to Middle Rib for a nice long low angle pitch. We're hoping there's no wind damage or lots of exposed rocks. I drop the first line so I can shoot some powder turns. Creamy!! We made the right choice! Excellent snow!! Yee Haw!!
    I figured everyone would want to do at least 1 more lap, but was surprised to hear they all needed to get Xmas stuff done. Ben and I put an up track in and did 2 more laps. 1 in the main meadow and then down the steeper trees to the north. so glad we hung for the extra turns! Hiked back to the area. Beautiful serenity to insanity
    Top Ten Day!
    Attached Images Attached Images               

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by powderglut View Post
    7 people can make a lot of noise in the woods when they're hooting they're asses off.
    Sounds like a perfect outing with friends.

livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH

OK!! Enough already! WE NEED SOME NEW SNOW!!!!!!! I'm used to seeing 100" Decembers.

Too many have been out back every day since. It's starting to look like a bump run in "area". OK, so I exaggerate a little. I can't consciously take pictures of such backcountry carnage.

We may have to go to drastic measures and hit the southern mts or New Mexico. The shame!

C'mon everybody we have to do a snow dance! It was scary in area, sharing the hill with thousands of more people.

GIVE US FRESH!! AND LOTS OF IT!!