Thread: Bike to Work [Infographic]

Bike to Work [Infographic]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cool! However, I would question the assertion that 1100 lives would be saved each year if people switch to commuting by bike. True, fewer people would be in auto collisions, but unfortunately more cyclists would be hit by autos. Wish I had a $ for every time I've nearly been creamed by a vehicle while cycling. Knock on wood, I haven't been hit (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by Candace66 View Post
    Cool! However, I would question the assertion that 1100 lives would be saved each year if people switch to commuting by bike. True, fewer people would be in auto collisions, but unfortunately more cyclists would be hit by autos. Wish I had a $ for every time I've nearly been creamed by a vehicle while cycling. Knock on wood, I haven't been hit (yet).
    That was my thought exactly! People are more likely to survive a car crash vs a bike crash too. Seatbelts, airbags, reinforced steel etc. But I still like the idea of promoting bike use.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Yeah, they kinda pulled that 1,100 number outta their arse. So many assumptions, like all automobile drivers are overweight. One stunning fact they avoided is the higher rate of air pollution inhaled by cyclists because they're riding in the fumes, rather than seated comfortably in an automobile with filtered air coming through the vents.

Cyclists may be skinnier, but daily inhalation of fumes at the stoplight alone is crazy unhealthy.

I use to bike every where here in Logan. That is until some old lady made a illegal left hand turn in front if me and I hit the side of her van. That was last summer. She said that she did not see me, how could she not I was in the middle of the lane and I am only 6'6" 250 lbs, that's hard to miss.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    IF she isn't happy no ones happy. If she isn't happy long enough you'll unhappy with half your stuff.
    http://childbikingutah.blogspot.com/

Yikes dude! Tell us the whole story!

That's nothing! I got nailed by a chick on a scooter the other night. I typically ride my bike to work 2-3 times a week (4 mile commute each way). The other night I'm going home with my big ass niterider 300 lumen light in flash mode and my red tail light on. I'm wearing a reflective sweatshirt and I'm a big SOB. She T-bones me, knocking me over, and then panics and literally runs the moped up my left leg. No damage done, a few scratches and a nice black plastic smear on the bottom of my downtube but other than that nothing. It's too bad 'cause I lost my cool and went totally ape shit on her ass and she was smoking hot! Especially in her little helmet. I should have finagled a phone number out of her for recompense. Hind sight, hind sight......
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Damned moped chicks!

Does anyone have a road bike and a mountain bike noticing if they are able to maneuver better on their mountain bike vs their road bike? I been strictly mountain bike and been riding my bike to school and work since my car went down just a little under 2 months. I find in riding attack position. I'm a lot more alert and at certain points looking out for possible hit locations.

I was riding back from USU down 10th north when this old lady made a left had turn into Petsmart. I slammed on the brakes but no go. After I impact the I found my self on the ground covered in glass. After I got my wind back she was yelling and crying " you didn't see me?, you didn't see me?". I didn't break anything but got some huge bruises and cuts all the way up my arm from the window. She got a ticket for failure to yelled to on coming traffic.

In the pic it does not look like I am wearing a helmet but i was the paramedics cut it off my head, I don't know why, I could have just unclipped it.
    IF she isn't happy no ones happy. If she isn't happy long enough you'll unhappy with half your stuff.

She thought it was your fault and then got a ticket?

yep, thats the only thing she said to me the whole time i was laying in the street.

Quote Originally Posted by StudChild View Post
    yep, thats the only thing she said to me the whole time i was laying in the street.
    Lame.