Thread: 'Circle of Friends'-membership on climbutah.com

'Circle of Friends'-membership on climbutah.com

Good morning everybody,

Short question from my side. Currently I've started planning my next holiday to the States and/ or Utah.... And I've wondered a couple of times already what a membership of the circle of friends on climbutah.com gives me extra. Any people here a member of this circle of friends? Is it worth it for somebody who is quite new into canyoneering, and a bit experienced in hiking. I'm hoping to find 'less touristical' canyons and hikes, which are doable without years and years of experience.

May I ask for your opinion on this (if you have something useful to add)?
    Thanks and grtz,

Maarten

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There is never enough beta. I found Shane's site very, very helpful. If it was a book, I would buy it. I think he has been bagged on for having a paid site. I hope he makes money on the site. These things are a lot of work. My subscription has lapsed. However, I know that when I get a little closer to canyoneering season, I will be renewing my subscription. I think you'll feel the concentration of information there make it well worth the cost. Tom's free site is also very good but I have found the two sites complementary. My 2-cents.

Ken

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maarten.1975 View Post
    Good morning everybody,

Short question from my side. Currently I've started planning my next holiday to the States and/ or Utah.... And I've wondered a couple of times already what a membership of the circle of friends on climbutah.com gives me extra. Any people here a member of this circle of friends? Is it worth it for somebody who is quite new into canyoneering, and a bit experienced in hiking. I'm hoping to find 'less touristical' canyons and hikes, which are doable without years and years of experience.

May I ask for your opinion on this (if you have something useful to add)?
    Thanks and grtz,

Maarten
    Shane does a good job of detailing quite a collection of canyons, many of which are not available elsewhere. Most of the basic canyons are available from multiple on-line and book sources, of varying quality, so you COULD work from freely available sources, but adding Shane's pay-to-play will increase your available canyons by perhaps 50%. A good value.

Another source for a great expanse of canyons would be Michael Kelsey's books (aka Mr. K.), but they suffer from a lack of discernment - ie, he has a lot of stuff in there and it is hard to tell what is good and what is mediocre. There are other issues with Mr. K., which some people call "politics", but i don't - detailed here: http://canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0901kelsey/index.htm

Overall, I would say Shane's ClimbUtah.com is a good value.

Tom

I agree with both of the above. I get to Utah a couple of times a year, for a week or two at a time, and I would not wish to be without my membership. I'll bet a lot of people on here have memberships. If you are wanting to get into more canyons of the type you did on your last trip, this is an excellent resource.

By the way - when is your next trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    By the way - when is your next trip?
    Well, I have to see whether somewhere April or May is possible for me financially, otherwise it

Euro Utah enthusiast Michael_WB's Avatar
    Hi Maarten,

Specific weather in a certain area is always a lottery. I was in southern Utah in early Oct 2009, late Oct 2010, late April/early May 2011 and late Sept 2011; if I were hiking and backpacking, April/May is a great time for Zion/GSENM/Canyonlands, but a big risk that snowmelt flooding will make many technical canyons inaccessible. Late October was already pretty cold in Capitol Reef/GSENM last year, but Zion was paradise. Late Sept was excellent in Zion this year, but still quite hot meaning early starts to avoid hiking out in ~100
    Last edited by Michael_WB; 12-11-2011 at 06:46 AM. Reason: spilling mistooks

I’m also new to canyoneering. I joined climb-utah.com last year and feel it was definitely worth the money. It was the best one I’ve found so far with a good description on how to get to the trailhead and great description on the routes. It also has GPS waypoints which I like find extremely helpful. If you have a GPS you will know for sure if you’re in the right spot.

I started with Tom's website, which is great for newbies. Not just for beta but also other canyoneering info. Coming from climbing background it was good to get idea on what was different and needed in canyons. But now almost exclusively use Shane's. Little more info (GPS points for those who want) and def more canyons as Tom has not updated or added any new canyons to his site lately. Not a criticism, just observation. Check out both. PS: Both have been very helpful personally in the few interactions I have had with them.

Climb Utah is a fantastic resource. You will not regret it. Not only does it help immensely when planning, but on those long cold days at work when you are stuck in the office the site makes a great escape for an hour or two!

Plus, Shane (the proprietor) is an active, friendly member of this community. Not only is it a great resource but you're supporting one of our own!

Quote Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
    I started with Tom's website, which is great for newbies. Not just for beta but also other canyoneering info. Coming from climbing background it was good to get idea on what was different and needed in canyons. But now almost exclusively use Shane's. Little more info (GPS points for those who want) and def more canyons as Tom has not updated or added any new canyons to his site lately. Not a criticism, just observation. Check out both. PS: Both have been very helpful personally in the few interactions I have had with them.
    Thanks Flatiron.

by design. Shane does a good job of adding new canyons, and I see no reason to compete with him.

I recently subscribed to climbutah.com and find that the detailed information that members are privy to pays big dividends when heading into new canyons.

I was of the opinion that you could scavenge for beta on the internet and find enough to complete most canyons. Sometimes this is true, but after doing a few canyons and using Shane's beta I complete canyons more efficiently (due to GPS points) and safely (due to obstacale descriptions).

The time you will save hiking and scavenging for beta is easily worth the subscription price.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    I recently subscribed to climbutah.com and find that the detailed information that members are privy to pays big dividends when heading into new canyons.

I was of the opinion that you could scavenge for beta on the internet and find enough to complete most canyons. Sometimes this is true, but after doing a few canyons and using Shane's beta I complete canyons more efficiently (due to GPS points) and safely (due to obstacale descriptions).

The time you will save hiking and scavenging for beta is easily worth the subscription price.
    Nice pic, oh Machine fo the Slots!

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

I'd say the one huge advantage you gain when using beta from Tom or myself is that you can always find us right here on Bogley to personally answer any of your questions. No other beta source offers that type of accessibility.

I didn't think about it or realize this before, but it was most likely that the author of climbutah is a member on this forum as well.... And so it indeed appears to be...

Thanks for the info and replies to all!
    I decided what to do
    and soon I join them!

Another for both Tom and Shane's sites. I started with Tom's and then moved on to Shane's when I needed more beta. I recently got Tom's book as well. Both are excellent resources and a great way to get started.
    - Gavin

I met Tom for the first time at North Wash at "Frost-Fest" a few weeks ago (before his "bump" ), and it was an opportunity for me to shake his hand and say "thanks" for his introducing me (through his website) to a new outlook upon the Utah outdoors.

I have yet to meet Tanya who's site I also use extensively use for hiking in Zion (sometimes as a "oh I wish I was there!" site and sometimes as beta for when I am there).

A couple of years ago I met Shane for MoabFest 2009, and again this year at Frost-fest, and a more welcoming chap you'd be unlikely to meet.

I also like that of IntrepidXJ and also I like Udink's site (but I can't find it at the moment). Also useful is http://www.americansouthwest.net/slo...ons/index.html and the MiniSlot Guide (which I used this year for my first solo).

For further inspiration, I also like Scott P's blog within summitpost.org .

All in all, and in conclusion, there is a wealth of information... some of it free... some of it pay-as-you-go.... but when I have been there and partaken of the Bogley friendly hospitality, I have found the willingness to either give it freely or show you and share very welcoming. As a fellow European, Maarten. I'm sure you have found the same.