Thread: Evolution of Math

Evolution of Math

Last week I purchased a burger at McDonalds for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. Why do I tell you this?

1. Teaching Math In 1960s
    A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

2. Teaching Math In 1970s
    A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1980s
    A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

4. Teaching Math In 1990s
    A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok.)

5.Teaching Math In 2000s
    If you have special needs or just feel you need assistance because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, childhood memories, criminal background, then don't answer and the correct answer will be provided for you. There are no wrong answers.

6. Teaching Math In 2011
    Un hachero vende una carrtada de maderapara 100 pesos. El costo de la producciones es 80 pesos. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Well at least the Spanish version got back to the 1970's version of teaching math...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Well at least the Spanish version got back to the 1970's version of teaching math...
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

I've done that a few times after working a 11hr shift. Someone hands me the amount to make the change easy and my brain just shuts down.

But she sounded slow, not tired after a long day.

Hahaha, in the Netherlands the same problem.
    Apart from the Spanish influence, the rest is all the same over here...

The solution if Math grades are too low: just lower the required skills
    A Dutch politician was (and I almost quote her) 'really amazed and upset that half of the kids at school scored below average'....

Quote Originally Posted by maarten.1975 View Post
    really amazed and upset that half of the kids at school scored below average'....

That is classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    6. Teaching Math In 2011
    Un hachero vende una carrtada de maderapara 100 pesos. El costo de la producciones es 80 pesos. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?
    Nada! Porque el mandan todo para su familia en Mexico!