Thread: Multi day Utah cross country

Multi day Utah cross country

Hey - first time posting here, so feel free to tell me I'm doing something wrong. That said.

I'm looking for information about a 1 - 2 week bike trip this summer in Utah. None of the details are set and I'm open to suggestions. I have a hybrid bike, so unfortunately I'm not equipped to do more than a few miles of unpaved road. I'd like to camp for most of the trip, although I'm not sure about my ability to bring food for that long, so ideally there would be a few nights of passing through small towns.

I really have no idea what it's like to bike in Utah, just an idea of what the scenery can be. As you might have guessed I'm a relative newb to long distance biking. Hopefully trouble and adventure will be a part (just not a huge part) of the trip.

Thanks in advance. Happy to learn!

-greg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sounds like a grand adventure. I've been toying with the idea of bikepacking myself.

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for though - mostly paved road routes? dirt roads? singletrack? a mix of all? Since you have a hybrid, you could probably put fat tires on the bike & happily ride both dirt/singletrack. If you're looking to do mostly road, I think you'd be much happier with a road/touring bike. What area were you looking to ride?

I think I'm looking for paved roads. But I'm willing to be convinced otherwise. The hybrid has a carbon fork but no other shock absorption - what's it like to ride tens/hundreds of miles of dirt without more suspension? To be honest getting off the roads sounds really appealing. I just didn't know it was a possibility.

For areas... Southeastern Utah and Canyonlands national park is what I was toying with. But I've never been to Utah and don't know anything about it other than pictures and recommendations. Ashley National Forest looks lovely. Really this is a bit of a whim, so I'm open to suggestions.

And thank you! Thank you. Your reply helped me think that this is actually going to happen =)

If I had 2 weeks I would do a trip from the northern end of the state to the southern, Start in Evenston and head up the mirror lake hyway, then down through Kamas, maybe head to Strawberry lake then cut from strawberry south to US6 (dirt road here), 6 will be a beast but fun, then down to Green river, Moab, Arches, Canyonlands, lake Powell..

I think a trip along the eastern side of the state taking in the sights would be a great trip.. if that is not enough miles for you you can always head west once you get to Powell and hit St George/ Zion :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Wow, thanks! I'm looking at the maps for this... More questions to follow.

Lets see if this map works

Hmm that should go all the way to halls crossing... might need to get a boat shuttle across the lake from there :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

What's the road like between Strawberry Reservoir and Hwy 6? Dirt not gravel, right? Would you do it without suspension? How nice is Strawberry Reservoir? What would you say about taking the 89 through Provo instead? Also, what's camping like along this whole stretch? Can you do it close to the road?

Oh, and THANK YOU. That is awesome.

The road between stawberry and 6 is dirt/ gravel.. I would do it without suspension.. but you will feel it that night :).. Strawberry is nice. I wouldn't do 89 through provo just to stay out of the city as riding through provo sucks in my opinion and would add a bit more climb as you come up 6. There are places to camp along most of this area.. .. The Evenston to 6 stretch there are tons of places to camp. 6 - Price good camping as well right off the road. Between Price and Green river your pickings will be thin closer to the road I would plan to do this stretch in one hit and camp outside of Green River, Hit Moab the next Day and from there camping becomes easy again..

now I wish I had 2 weeks to take a stroll across the east side of Utah...

Do you know if I'd be able to put my bike on a bus from somewhere in Canyonlands National Park back to Salt Lake City? Also, would May would be a good time for this?

Thanks for all the info.

I don't know about a bus from canyonlands.. there may be a grayhound stop in Montecello...

May would be good for the south end.. but up north Mirror lake Hyway will still be closed due to snow as will the pass from strawberry to 6..

if may is your date you will want to stay in the lower elevations.. possable west desert , Capitol reef, to green river and down

I don't do much road riding, but I know there are some popular routes around southern utah. May is generally a good time to ride here as well. Here's a sample week long tour http://www.planetultra.com/Utah/index.htm. North rim of grand canyon might be open then, which you could throw in. Have fun & definitely do it if you can!

Doss - if the roads are closed due to snow, do you think it would still be possible to bike on them?

Mfshop - that looks amazing. Thanks, I hadn't thought about the Grand Canyon at all! Utah is starting to look like an amazing place to bike.

When the roads are closed up there unless you have skis you don't want to bike them.. they will probably still have 6 feet of snow in May ..