Thread: Looking for Christina Lake Road info in the Wind Rivers

Looking for Christina Lake Road info in the Wind Rivers

I'm looking at doing a trip next summer to the Winds. The Christina Lake area sounded like a good spot to start from. How gnarly is the Christina Lake Road? Driving it would save me 8 miles of hiking (4 each way).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I hope it's smoother now than when I drove it in the mid 90's. It took us about 4 hours one way. The golden trout we caught made it worth it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    I hope it's smoother now than when I drove it in the mid 90's. It took us about 4 hours one way. The golden trout we caught made it worth it though.
    4 hours to go roughly about 4 miles?! That's a rough ride! I hope it's better now, but you never know. Did you got to Windy for your goldens? I'd be interested in pics. If the road is that rough, I could get in faster by just backpacking.

We looked at going in there this past summer. I googled and only found a few posts about the road and both talked about how bad the road was... We decided not to beat the hell outta my buddies truck and made plans to go somewhere else....

Where you headed too? We drove to the Sweetwater TH, on our through trip a few years back ,and it was decent unless you had a car. I'd call the Forest for the up to date info. Rd 355? Bad 4x4 but good ATV from Louis to Christina LK so lots of people

Quote Originally Posted by uintahiker View Post
    4 hours to go roughly about 4 miles?! That's a rough ride! I hope it's better now, but you never know. Did you got to Windy for your goldens? I'd be interested in pics. If the road is that rough, I could get in faster by just backpacking.
    Wow, it's been so long the details have kinda faded (except for the rough road ). If I remember right, we did a day hike from Christina to Atlantic Lake (I hope that is the name) and we caught a few Goldens at the outlet of the lake. I wish I had pics but I don't.

As far as the road goes, I don't remember any particularly challenging obstacles just miles of massive exposed boulders that beat me to death. I was driving a 78 Bronco lifted 6" with 35" tires and it was pretty slow going, but on the other hand, my buddy had his CJ7 with mild lift and 33's and he didn't seem to complain much.

I'm looking at Atlantic Lake to basecamp. Hopefully find a little more solitude than at Christina Lake.

I know how those mile of boulders go- a few years back we took the road to Shoshone Lake. It definitely had some brutal spots that would have been easier in a 4 wheeler than in the trucks.