Thread: Canyoneering - Worlds Dumbest Sports

Canyoneering - Worlds Dumbest Sports

The world's dumbest sports
    December 7, 2011

You see some amazing things when you travel, things you just had no idea existed.

Some of them of them blow your mind with just how stupendously great they are. Others are like the turducken.

As a sports fan I'm always on the lookout for the weird and wonderful of the athletic world as I traverse the globe, and I've found some crackers over the last few years.

Sepak trakaw, the volleyball-soccer hybrid played throughout South-East Asia, has to be one of the best spectator sports around. And anyone who can find a game of bocce or petanque and not feel the irresistible urge to join in has got something wrong with them.

But foreign sports are not all great. Following is a list of games I've witnessed around the world that are silly at best

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Parkour, France
    Over in France they've somehow managed to elevate of the seemingly simple art of running away from someone into a sport. Only the French, eh? Sure, it looks all cool leaping off tall buildings with French swagger, but it's not much fun for spectators, is it? (Unless you, too, can leap off tall buildings.)
    What does that even mean? It's cool to watch people jump off buildings, but I can do it also, so it must be dumb for spectators? I can't even wrap my head around this guys logic. Why does a sport need to be watched by a live audience in a stadium? He must be a liberal to be spouting this kind of nonsense.

And canyoneering is dumb because I don't want to get cold and wet. So unless they are going to fly all the spectators around in helicopters, this wont work.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Surprised the blogger didn't include road bowling although with a pub likely waiting at the end i suppose that sport would not qualify as dumb.

http://www.dochara.com/the-irish/spo...-road-bowling/

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The world's dumbest sports
    December 7, 2011

Canyoning, everywhere
    I dunno, I'm sure there are people around the world who enjoy slopping around in wet shoes, bashing their knees against rocks, tearing leeches off their legs and almost drowning while trying to climb up waterfalls, but I'm not one of them.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/blogs/t...206-1oh16.html
    Uhmmm, I'd say he meant climbing DOWN waterfalls, or did I mis-interpret the whole idea of canyoneering???

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maarten.1975 View Post
    Uhmmm, I'd say he meant climbing DOWN waterfalls, or did I mis-interpret the whole idea of canyoneering???
    Huh! You go DOWN the canyons???? What's the challenge in that?

Kidding!

He IS from Down Under... so who knows.

Actually, in Japan, i believe they Trace the Canyons by going Upward. Maybe he saw it there.

he missed noodleing!!
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Canyoning, everywhere
    I dunno, I'm sure there are people around the world who enjoy slopping around in wet shoes, bashing their knees against rocks, tearing leeches off their legs and almost drowning while trying to climb up waterfalls, but I'm not one of them.

I can't believe I've missed out on the leeches!!

Ken