Thread: Wind!

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar

Wind!

Well, here in South Jordan, we seem to have capped out at 35mph winds, but friends and co-workers in Ogden & Kaysville have roofs missing, trees and power lines down.

Carnage north of Bountiful!

How are you Davis Co. folks making out? I'm probably driving up tomorrow to help cut down and remove trees from friends up there.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    i live in Kaysville, and my neighbors had their wood-shingle roof partially collapse on the east side.
    I take the frontrunner to L-3 every morning from the Station Park in Farmington, and when I arrived at 5:55am thoday, I opened the door and it immediately swung the door open - nearly breaking the hinge. As I got out I thought it was impressive witnessing the power of the wind. Of course, it's nothing like a hurricane wind. still... it's darn impressive!

Anywho, so I continue on to the pedestrian bridge and then my beanie on my head immediately gets removed and thrown into the darkness of the morning. Then the wind rips open my lunch bag and scatters it everywhere, never to be recovered. I get to the ped bridge and see a bunch of UTA technicians at the base of the bridge, and they are telling everyone to find a alternate route as the winds are too powerful for frontrunner and that one of the crossing-guard arms broke in Syracuse.

So I drove to work on Legacy and saw numerous emergency responders on scene at 4 flipped semi's on I-15. Then near Parrish Lane (worst part of the winds) about 200 feet in front of my car a giant transformer exploded! That thing was so bright! A GIANT flash, then a billion sparks everywhere. It was like a massive aerial firework, and afterwards sending all of the sparks and shards towards Legacy. Later at work, people were saying that numerous transformers were shorting all over the region.

Farmington had 2 traffic lights that fell down. One fell on top of a truck at a intersection.

My brother has been telling me Kaysville and Farmington have hundreds of down trees, fences, garbage cans, trampolines, glass, sheet metal, everywhere...

I would think Friday and especially Saturday is a good day to volunteer for cleanup...everyone will need it.

And about 30 minutes ago, a tanker toppled over on I-15 and part of I-15 northbound is closed.

People might think we are exaggerating, but we're not. But of course, some areas are worse than others, but Kaysville down to Centerville from my POV was hit the worst.

And You okay Chevron Mark?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Very little wind down here last night, we do have 8" of snow though and still coming.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You guys should look into getting your ham radio licenses. It is not that tough and only costs $14. There are some great radios out there. One is only $130 and you can get the police and fire radio traffic on it as well.
    Let's Roll

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Friends house in Kaysville. Most every tree in the backyard is down (ground and roof of homes).

Name:  trees..jpg
Views: 319
Size:  50.0 KB
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Not so much wind, but we've got a rain/snow mix down here in Moab.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I live in Layton and work in Farmington. I got to work at 6:30 and opened my door and did bend the hinges, not the best way to start the day. Once I got the door secured, I had to run past flying tree branches and building materials. Davis county is putting up a new admin building and 15ft pieces of metal sheeting were flying off the top floor across the street and into the large maple trees. Crazy stuff. Trees and power lines down on every corner. Volunteers will definitly be needed to help clean up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apcronnelly View Post
    I live in Layton and work in Farmington. I got to work at 6:30 and opened my door and did bend the hinges, not the best way to start the day. Once I got the door secured, I had to run past flying tree branches and building materials. Davis county is putting up a new admin building and 15ft pieces of metal sheeting were flying off the top floor across the street and into the large maple trees. Crazy stuff. Trees and power lines down on every corner. Volunteers will definitly be needed to help clean up.
    Do you work at the courthouse?
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Yeah, Im an IT guy for Davis county and DCSO.

Crazy stuff! Wind chimes blowing in South Jordan...its Armageddon!

A friends house in Farminton.

Name:  377414_101510104556&.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  43.4 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apcronnelly View Post
    Yeah, Im an IT guy for Davis county and DCSO.
    Thought so, cause what you posted is what my dad posted on Facebook. He works at the courthouse.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Blog Entries
    Well I just got home from work two hours ago and surveyed our neighborhood of 39 homes, and I brought my 3million candlelight spotlight and 240lumens Surelight to count the fallen trees.

And the total including front and backyards....32 (and that includes our grassy commons of 12 trees too)! Wow!
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Today was an ugly day in my life. I am building a house in Fruit Heights, well if you ask my wife I am building a garagemahal with a house attached to it. She may be right the garage is a man garage. 4000 sq ft. on two levels. Friday they we were suppose to start putting on the truces and have the roof on by first part of next week. The one picture of the front is still missing the framing around those window up high but other then that most of the framing was done. The garage walls are 15' high and they didn't stand much of a chance. We braced and tried to tie it all together with ropes etc but by about 8 AM she was scattered all over the place. Look at the enclosed video and pictures and you can see what Mother Nature did to my new pad. There are a couple of pictures from before the wind and then the ones after. The video was shot after the back of the garage had blown out.

Mark

Bummer Mark!! That is a severe spanking. Hopefully nobody got hurt.
    We had a pretty wild night and morning here too.
    http://www.steamboattoday.com/news/2...voc-steamboat/

Here are some pictures of the lower garage. The wind had no effect on my man cave.

Oh man that sucks Mark. Luckily it's all fixable.

Suppose to meet the insurance adjuster in the morning. The depressing part is we have been busting our butts to try and get it dried in before the weather got ugly. We have only been 6 weeks Friday from the day the track hoe showed up.

I lost about 50 ft of fence. Luckily I had flipped the kids trampoline upside down last night. I have 2 pine trees about 60 ft tall in front of my house that with stood the high winds. My neighbors trees including pretty much every pine tree was uprooted or broken in half. Most of the houses lost fencing and shingles. I feel fortunate to have sustained very minimal damage. With the power being off for most of today our house got down to 59 degress. My kids don't have to go to school now until Monday. I have never seen wind damage like this while living in Kaysville.

I live in Draper.... The wind here was very mild, I don't think we even reached the level of light breeze.

Yesterday afternoon I mentioned to the wife that the storm was a dude and that's when she told me to turn on the news as some places were hit hard.