Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freeze Fest X

Freeze Fest X

Finally. 2011 is almost over. What started out as a year to "live large" resulted in a whole bunch of freezefester's breakin' their shit. So we're gonna celebrate the fact it's all finally coming to an end. Rumor has it there might even be a sharebear burning to ring in the new year.

THE DETAILS

Who: All are invited. If you like mild suffering and slot canyons, you belong at FF.

What: Best New Year's party around... Multiple days of canyoneering and nights of poker, bocce, chasing foxes and good company around the campfire.

When: Dec. 26th - Jan. 2nd
    Unorganized chaos will start sometime around the night of Dec. 26th, and end the 1st or 2nd of January, with the bulk of the crowds being there the weekend of New Years

Where: Sandthrax campsite. Milepost 28.3 or so on Highway 95, north side of the road. Click here for map.

Why: Why not?

Logistics and Tips
    (Will be updated as more questions appear in the thread)

For a quick rundown on all the Freeze Fest tips, take it from RAM, the guy who started it the tradition. Here's a bullet point list of all the things you should bring/know/want. (click)

FIREWOOD PLEASE bring firewood. Usually 1 bundle per day per person. Can never have enough firewood, and if the crowds are big this year, we'll definitely need to have more than 1 fire.

Wetsuit or Drysuit? For the black hole on New Years, a drysuit is nice, but not many have them. A layered wetsuit system can work. Anywhere from 5mm-7mm has worked, but be aware of how warm or cold you get. I (carpeybiggs) used to wear two full 4/3mm wetsuits, because I get cold easily. Going with a drysuit this year. Others can do 4/3 and 2mm shorties. Consider neoprene gloves and thick socks.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Anyway, the big event is the New Year's black hole. For this people will need enough protection to swim in icewater for a couple hours. Generally double wet suits or a dry suit will do. Learning how to function in the cold and wet is an interesting challenge.

Very few raps in the Black Hole, as in zero. couple of downclimbs. Great fun had by all, usually canyon-gang-warfare.

The other big event is the sitting around the fire telling stories into all hours of the night, well, at least until 9 pm, the mandatory stay-up-till hour.
    Got questions? Post 'em here and we'll keep the thread updated as FFX draws nearer.

Scenes from last year -

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Catching mild grief from the wife about it, but Cody and I are planning on it. Freeze Fest 10 will be our fourth, and Cody's got some ideas how to improve the Dutch oven donuts...

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Black Hole: allow me to correct the above statement - we usually do 1 or 2 raps in the Black Hole, so yes, bring a harness of some sort. Wood Piles can create more raps. The young, strong kids, the ones still unbroken, can probably handline down these points, but, in a double wetsuit, agility is compromised. Getting hurt is not an option.

Another key point: your pack with some flotation is a key element in the canyon-swimming technique. Do not go packless, you will be at a distinct disadvantage.

T

I've watched this gathering take place but only ONLINE for the last few years and have been envious each year. I am thinking it's time to actually go and especially since it's the roman numeral X. If anything I will bring beer, pie, FIRE WOOD and good company. It's possible I do a canyon or two, dependent on where I fit into the melting pot.

Quote Originally Posted by abirken View Post
    I've watched this gathering take place but only ONLINE for the last few years and have been envious each year. I am thinking it's time to actually go and especially since it's the roman numeral X. If anything I will bring beer, pie, FIRE WOOD and good company. It's possible I do a canyon or two, dependent on where I fit into the melting pot.

Dang, I'll be canyoneering in Dominica (island in the Caribbean) then. I think the canyons may be warmer down there though.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Dang, I'll be canyoneering in Dominica (island in the Caribbean) then. I think the canyons may be warmer down there though.
    anti-freeze fest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    That's what we need... a Caribbean fest.

I was at Freeze-fest I, and what I remember most about that week was pulling into Sandthrax and laughing as Ram and Tom poured boiling water into there 5.10 Canyoneers, which had become wet the day before, to thaw them out enough so they could put them on.

Fun stuff....

at one of these freezefests the idea was hatched to have Stoke-O-Loco - a sweet canyoning trip in a warm place. ended up costing too much money, regardless of how we tried to make it work. instead, Stoke-O-Broke-O formed, with Ouray being the destination of choice.

there's too many of us cheap-ass canyoneers apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I was at Freeze-fest I, and what I remember most about that week was pulling into Sandthrax and laughing as Ram and Tom poured boiling water into there 5.10 Canyoneers, which had become wet the day before, to thaw them out enough so they could put them on.

Fun stuff....
    In a word, YES!!! I have attended 4 or 5 maybe and have had an absolute blast at all of them. I am not sure of my schedule yet but if things work out, I will try to round up the Mapleton Crew and our small portable kitchen and see what we can cook up. Oh, and maybe do some canyons too.
    Life is Good

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    That's what we need... a Caribbean fest.

Fun stuff....
    Myth, pure myth. I have NEVER poured hot water in my Canyoneers.

I have, on the other hand, driven out to the Hite Overlook with the heater on high and all my gear spread out in the car (the smell, the smell) to prepare for the next days adventure. Usually a drive to Hog Springs in the morning with the heater blasting is sufficient to get things in order, especially if the shoes are put on while hot.

tom

"For a quick rundown on all the Freeze Fest tips, take it from RAM, the guy who started it the tradition. Here's a bullet point list of all the things you should bring/know/want. (click)"

This link does not work. Can someone create a word doc or other with this list?

it works... it is posted on the canyons yahoo group, you probably aren't a member of yahoo groups.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/message/19120

From RAM

An annual rite. I dig this old post out and put it out there. Its five years old
    now and lots of new ideas and methods have grown up, along with the attendance
    at the fest. I am still swamped work wise, so I'm not really looking it over.
    Hopefully all the FreezeFest veterans will amend and add all that has been
    learned. I'll review and comment when I get the chance.

Here a few of the things I have learned.....

1-A super warm sleeping bag is heavenly
    2-A back up bag, squeezed under a seat in the car, gives piece of mind and
    doesn't take up much room
    3-Three foam pads is mighty comfortable and warm
    4-A 60 gallon trash liner, to keep personal gear frost free and dry, next to
    your sleeping arrangements, works well
    5-More 60 gallon, heavy duty liners, for wet gear. Can't bring too many.
    6-Lots of firewood, for those endless evening hours.
    7-Interesting companions, with the gift of gab. A must
    8-Spirits, for the illusion of warmth and the illusion of the gift of gab.
    9-Dehydration at bedtime. That 3AM pee is worth avoiding. Hydrate in the AM
    10-Layers of clothing, for the campsite. If you don't feel like the Michelin
    Man or a blow up doll, put on some more clothes
    11-Hot breakfasts.
    12-Stove, pot, water and matches, right next to your bed.
    13-Ten course dinners. Eat all you want, lose weight. A truly effective diet.
    14-Package your lunches for every day, at home in the warmth of the house,
    before the trip. Grab a bag every day, rather than pack up in the cold
    15-I have 5 pairs of neo socks. Most of the week is over before a wet one
    goes on the feet, in the morning
    16-A little warm water, from the stove, unfreezes those shoes and is nice and
    cozy
    17-Old, shredded wet suits, make great garb, for MOSTLY dry canyons. The
    occasional waist deep pool is a non issue, the system is warm and it is great
    body
    armor in the tight world of many a canyon.
    18-A different dry, shredded wet suit, for the first 3 days, is heaven. By
    day 4, a suit and some socks have dried.
    19-A pair of waterproof, Air Force Mickey Mouse/bunny boots, insulated to -50
    below zero for the campsite. If the feet are happy, your happy.... and
    fashionable too.
    20-Cheese, yogurt and fresh fruit need no cooler. Keep them deep enough in
    the car prevent freezer burn.
    21-Haven't discovered at what temperature scotch freezes yet.
    22-Extra ground sheets create layering and segregation of wet gear, in the
    vehicle. Critical!
    23-A LARGE community tent, for when the wind blows too hard, for a safe fire
    24-Heaters and a generator to warm that big tent
    25-It is always comfortable in the canyons proper
    26-It is often very uncomfortable on the AM bench land approach to the canyon
    27-It's generally not worth carrying extra gear to stay warm that first hour,
    as it is often not needed the rest of the day
    28-Flashlights in the pack, in the sleeping bag, in the car, everywhere!
    29-Canyon water can only get so cold and it is never as bad in reality, as
    the anticipation
    30-FreezeFests have lots of return customers. It's getting new folks over
    their prejudice and out on a trip, that is the hard part.
    31-Soccer Mom chairs, for in the big tent or around the fire are worth their
    weight in gold
    32-Cooking tables make excellent wind breaks, when laid on their side.
    33-Go ahead, eat some more!
    34-The inside of a convenience store feels really weird after 4-5 days of
    being only outside.
    35-Dusty dirt insulates and works as sunscreen
    36-Water freezes in canyons, in the open areas next to narrow places and
    stays liquid in the darkest and narrowest places.
    37-All reptiles and FreezeFesters know that there is always a place, often
    sunny and always out of the wind, to be comfortable in.
    38-A mid winter trips helps the sanity between the prime fall and spring
    seasons
    39-Let the beard and hair grow. Shaggy is warmer
    40-A January 1st Black Hole is an eloquent way to start the year.
    41-FreezeFest partners have a build in "No Whining" filter. They laugh or
    smile big smiles, all the time and are a joy to be around.
    42-When its over, a hot shower, loving wife and 2 pretty cool kids welcome me
    home.

Thanks. I am. I signed up. Guess it just takes a long time to get verified.

Quote Originally Posted by jentzschman View Post
    Thanks. I am. I signed up. Guess it just takes a long time to get verified.
    yeah, the eternal problem with the yahoo groups... they are slow and painful. one of these days i expect they'll join the 21st century. sending notes by carrier pigeon nowadays gets really old... lots of great stuff in the archives over there though.

As usual my work schedule makes attending freezefest difficult since I work Christmas and New Years, and the days in between are practically impossible to request off... You never know though I could make a guest appearance for one or two days, it's been too long since I've been in a canyon (last April I think was the last time).

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125 View Post
    As usual my work schedule makes attending freezefest difficult since I work Christmas and New Years, and the days in between are practically impossible to request off... You never know though I could make a guest appearance for one or two days, it's been too long since I've been in a canyon (last April I think was the last time).
    dude. i wasn't even sure you still exist.

So it looks like there is enough interest to warrant getting some hoodies made.
    This is the final design, it is navy blue with light gray logo that reads
    "Freezefest Ten, The Bad Idea That Caught On." If we get enough orders, we
    could do the desert orange color too, if people want. Cost will be $25, you can
    paypal me and I'll order 'em all, if we get more people I'll return the change
    (likely only a dollar or two) after we order. Deadline to order will be
    Wednesday night so we can get the free shipping in time for FFX.

Let me know if there are questions.

here is the design -
    http://tinyurl.com/7fpleak

here's the list of interested folks so far -
    http://tinyurl.com/8xsmwrr

pm me for paypal information, if you are interested.

Anyone want to do a canyon or two on the 26th?