Thread: 10.19.2011 - Observation Point & Middle Echo Canyon (bottom-up)

10.19.2011 - Observation Point & Middle Echo Canyon (bottom-up)

After having returned to Zion for the last week and a half of my holiday, I wanted to start out with a challenging hike. And Observation Point was going to be my challenge. I read in Tom Jones' book that Middle Echo canyon is also accessable (bottom-up) from the route, so if possible I'd combine the both of them. It would be a good opportunity to test my new wetsuit. So... packed relatively heavily (shoes and wetsuit stuffed in as well) I started early.

It was nice, hiking up in the shade. I knew the first part of the hike from my earlier visit to Hidden Canyon. Next up was the Echo canyon area. A fantastic view, seeing the walls almost closing in on each other. For now I continued upwards on the path on the left side. I hiked for some time with some people I met, I enjoyed the views, I left the shade.... ouch. The sun was hot, hiking up, up and more up. I'm glad I had enough water. Partially drinking it, partially keeping my head wet.

Finally at the top, great views around. Seeing Angels Landing Point below, the Zion main canyon, the sight towards the Narrows, a redtailed hawk flying in the side canyon, superb. I enjoyed the views, sitting at the edge, feeling great. Somehow time seems to fade when sitting there...

After some time I got up and started my way back. The views were as beautiful as on my way up. Havin arrived at Echo canyon, it looked mysterious to me. The water was quite cold, and I was hoping my wetsuit would keep me warm. So I changed into my wetsuit and went in. After the initial swim I had to climb a man-build wall (?), after which the canyon became more and more beautiful. The suit kept kept me warm for now.

The light and colours were amazing, the canyon has some sort of special very intimate beauty. Or was that just my mood? I hiked up as far as I considered safe, and ended up (I think) in the echo-chamber area. The canyon did return great echo
    Attached Images Attached Images               

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Echo canyon is one of my favorites! Great report!
    --Cliff

I've always liked Echo a lot. Nice TR
    - Gavin

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Nice. Thanks for the pics. Always a beautiful place.

T

Oh, thanks something else to add to my already overburdened list! Just kiddin' beautiful pics and nice TR! Thanks for sharing.
    [COLOR=#800080][FONT=franklin gothic medium]"Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L

Next time you are in Zion post on Bogley and I bet you can get one of the tech canyoneers to do a top down through Echo with you. If I'm in the area I can always be talked into doing Echo again.