Thread: Yet another N00b

Yet another N00b

Greetings everyone.......just wanted to introduce myself and hopefully make some friends. I am from Murray Utah and have lived here all my life. I am 32 years old and I spent a lot of time camping when I was little, after I got older I just stopped going for many years. So I was sitting around last summer and suddenly had an awakening and thought "what the heck am I doing indoors, I have these incredible mountains 15 minutes from my house!". The rest is history..... after that I spent every free minute of the summer in the Wasatch front looking for every trail I could find. It was an amazing yet frustrating experience, as much as I enjoyed it I couldn't help but feel bad I had forgotten about the outdoors and wasted so many years. I also feel very ignorant and a little lost because I have no friends who are into it and have no idea what I am doing or what I need on the trail. I tried going to a local REI store and made myself dizzy with all the different things and the sales people. I am very interested in hiking/backpacking and some camping. I hope to learn some things along the way and do a lot of reading to educate myself. I guess my first question would be if there are any organized groups or clubs in Salt Lake City that go on regular outings together, nothing too extreme just day hikes or something over the weekend? Thanks and what a great forum you have here

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Welcome to Bogley!
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

welcome! there are a lot of opportunities here on bogley to find partners, especially in the wasatch. unfortunately, winter's got a grip on us now, so stick around and be patient. also, there's a couple of groups that are active on facebook, but facebook tends to be kind of a pain to follow discussions, IMO.

utah great outdoors has a lot of folks hooking up with partners - https://www.facebook.com/groups/UtahGreatOutdoors/

the others are a little more technical oriented, more hardcore-ish.

hope that helps!

These guys seem to be censoring Bogley members. I posted a TR there today and it was deleted. The same thing happened a month ago.

Welcome aboard Casey!

Thanks everybody.......I just spent a month down in Venezuela along the Brazil border exploring the Amazon and Delta Amacuro area. Talk about a landscape change from Utah. It was awesome and I loved it but I would still take Utah for hiking any day, what month do people start going usually that aren't to keen on Winter hikes? April? May?