Thread: Moab Canyon Conditions

Moab Canyon Conditions

Hey all,

Just got back from a canyon trip near Moab, and here's what we found:

Winter Camp Slot: Road was fine, should be passable by any carefully driven passenger car. Canyon was dry, and quite short. Essentially, it's just one cool rappel with a walk.

Repeat Jr: Road was fine up to the 4wd road marked on Shane's map. Instead of using the 4wd road from the beta (which isn't drivable), continue South to the first pullout on the left, and hike from there. There is an emerging trail there. Canyon was dry, and very short. However, I'd recommend skipping this canyon for two reasons. 1) It's not very good; worse than Winter Camp Slot (which is the same type of canyon - one rappel with a hike; but this one is shorter with a more convoluted exit) and 2) there was a cow trapped in the canyon which we tried to help get out for three days, but even with the owner/rancher's help we were unable to do so. So, the aroma will not be pleasant in there for quite some time.

MMI: Road was fine up until the last turnoff, and then the final road out to MMI had some deeper sandy sections. A skillfully driven passenger car might be able to make it, but 4wd would be better. Canyon was dry, and about the duration of other Moab slots (i.e. half day or less.)

Undercover: Road was fine up until the last turnoff, and then the final road out to Undercover had some deeper sandy sections. A skillfully driven passenger car might be able to make it, but 4wd would be better. Canyon was dry, and about the duration of other Moab slots (i.e. half day or less.) This was the best canyon in this area by far, followed by MMI.

Elephant Butte: We finished the trip with the classic Elephant Butte. Access is on a paved road, so any car is fine, and any water could easily be avoided.

Hope it helps!
    A.J.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Would be helpful to post this beta on Candition.com as well, but thanks for providing this update. That's a really helpful site if you're looking for recent canyon condition beta. Need more people using it though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    Would be helpful to post this beta on Candition.com as well, but thanks for providing this update. That's a really helpful site if you're looking for recent canyon condition beta. Need more people using it though.
    Indeed it is a good site. Thanks for the endorsement!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Canditions entered. Definitely a good site, just comes down to how much time is already used by putting details together, posting it on three different canyon sites (now four with Candition), etc.

Definitely feel it's worth the effort though; and hope Candition gets used more frequently...

We just did Repeat Jr. on February 20. Snowy/Icy conditions which made the rappel a little slippery. The cow didn't make it. It is right at the bottom of the rappel, and I am hoping for a flash flood or something to wash out the carcass, as it is starting to smell. Luckily I think it is still cold enough that it isn't too bad yet, but if you don't like the idea of rappelling onto a dead cow, don't go down this canyon.

I thought it was kinda fun. My father-in-law did get stuck in the downclimb section for about an hour. He is 80 years old, so had a hard time stemming/mantelling out. Picture is where he got stuck taken from where I rapped down to help him. Dead cow is the black lump on the canyon floor in the distance.

We still had a good time.
    Attached Images Attached Images