Thread: Current Conditions in Zion Report

Current Conditions in Zion Report

I just returned from an amazing week in Zion and I wanted to give a quick conditions update.

Spry - We ran this with RobL and mfshop on 11/19. We did not attempt to avoid the water, so I can't be sure how much was mandatory, but there were several pools and we were fine in 3/2 fulls plus 2mm shorties.

Mystery - mostly dry on 11/20. The pool at the bottom of the mystery springs rappel was waist deep, and the lake was dry. If it weren't do the narrows we could have done it without wetsuits.

Echo - A few full swims and a good amount of wading. The first rappel ends in a full swim. Cold. We were warm in a 7mm full or 8/5 layered. Potholes were very easy to get in and out of. The water was clean(ish) and not very smelly compared to what I've heard is the norm. Also used 5mm socks and neo gloves. 11/21.

Keyhole - lots of cold water and swimming. Cold. We used the same wetsuits as Echo and stayed warm. Great canyon. 11/21

Das boot - The guy at the backcountry desk cave us some "are you crazy?" looks and tried to scare us away but we had an amazing time on 11/22. There was snow on the start of the approach, which made the slick rock portions of the approach sketchy. Das boot had lots and lots of wading and swimming in very cold water. mfshop joined us and we all stayed warm using lots of neoprene. All of the anchors were good. The last rappel in Das Boot may have been cliff jumpable in one spot but we didn't risk it.

Subway - Came in from Das Boot. There were a few short mandatory swims and some wading. The water in the subway was slightly flowing and also chilly. At one point before the subway there is a logjam under some chockstones, but we were able to squeeze under the log without dunking our heads in the water. To get from the upper subway to the lower subway there is a fixed rope hanging from a log jam just past the waterfall room. This can be used as a hand line. I was able to cliff jump into one of the pools (to get into the lower subway) as it was about 6 feet deep. I have a lot of experience with cliff jumping, but I would not recommend it to everybody. The hike out had many optional swims along the way that helped cool us of since we stayed in our wetsuits.

Pine Creek - 11/24. The water in pine creek was cold, but there were only a few full swims and quite a bit of wading. We used thick wetsuits and stayed warm.

Overall a great trip.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the update! Sounds like a great time - 7 canyons. Any of these your first time?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Awesome. Could you also post at http://candition.com ?

Sounds like a great trip, with good timing to catch some stellar weather.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Thanks for the update! Sounds like a great time - 7 canyons. Any of these your first time?
    Actually, this was my first trip to Zion. And of course I loved it! Now that I've got the popular canyons out of the way, I can't wait to head back for the heavy hitters. (Heaps, Imlay, Kolob)

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Awesome. Could you also post at http://candition.com ?
    Done

Blog Entries
    You forgot Shane's favorite canyon in the entire world - Behunin! I heard he's gonna name his next kid it...

●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Glad you had a good rest-of-your-trip. Sounds like a blast!

All the best,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bladerider View Post
    Actually, this was my first trip to Zion. And of course I loved it! Now that I've got the popular canyons out of the way, I can't wait to head back for the heavy hitters. (Heaps, Imlay, Kolob)

Done
    Really? Many rescues have resulted with this type of outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by jphoenix View Post
    Really? Many rescues have resulted with this type of outlook.
    jphoenix, I am actually quite an experienced canyoneer, with many canyons under my belt from zones other than Zion. Just because I have not yet made it to Zion until now does not mean that I don't know what I'm doing.

And I would never think of attacking those other canyons without approaching them seriously and giving them the preparation they deserve. I am aware they are entirely different animals, and I can't wait to descend them.

Quote Originally Posted by bladerider View Post
    jphoenix, I am actually quite an experienced canyoneer, with many canyons under my belt from zones other than Zion. Just because I have not yet made it to Zion until now does not mean that I don't know what I'm doing.

And I would never think of attacking those other canyons without approaching them seriously and giving them the preparation they deserve. I am aware they are entirely different animals, and I can't wait to descend them.
    Nice! Then, you've probably already heard about the many accidents that have occurred because canyoneers jumped up in difficulty from Pine Creek to Heaps. Canyoneers are a social bunch so I'd recommend asking someone who has been down 'the heavy hitters' to tag along.

Best of luck!

j

Quote Originally Posted by jphoenix View Post
    Nice! Then, you've probably already heard about the many accidents that have occurred because canyoneers jumped up in difficulty from Pine Creek to Heaps. Canyoneers are a social bunch so I'd recommend asking someone who has been down 'the heavy hitters' to tag along.

Best of luck!

j
    Check out his trip reports. he's done some good ones. I'll agree that taking someone who's done them is a good idea but he will be fine either way as long as he does his research. Nice Trip report Bladerider.
    - Gavin