Thread: The Official Captain's Log- 2011/2012 Winter Season.

The Official Captain's Log- 2011/2012 Winter Season.

Once again, I am putting this thread up as a way to share days on the snow, resort or backcountry. I ride so many days, I am not going to gum up this section with 100 extra posts. Feel free to upload pics, video, maps ect. I usually like to put where I was, what gear I was using, and the conditions. But feel free to post your log however you would like. Add to the winter awesomeness or come along with my adventures via this thread. I hope everyone has an epic season- Pray 4 Snow!

Day 3 & 4, November 20th, 21st, 2011
    Snowbird
    Custom ICS
    Conditions: Fresh snow and some early season powder.

First Sunday Funday of the 11/12 season! Really fun day, new snow made the surface really fast and laid back. Monday was the best snow of the season so far! There was about 8-10" of fresh to play in up there. Experimented with some different camera angles. Gonna play with that some more this season. Enjoy the video!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Day 5- November 26th, 2011
    Snowbird
    Custom ICS
    Conditions: A wee bit icy- blue bird day

Finally got on the Tram. After it having some mechanical difficulties and then crashing into tower four breaking the windows out, they finally opened the big boat into the sky! Nothing fancy here, just a nice run from peak to base. First Tram Lap of the season! Conditions were icy to say the least, but still fun to be dropping 3,000 vert again!

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Thanks for viewing!

We have started off this winter like 2 years ago, shallow snow pack and limited terrain and dangerous avy conditions. I bet winter this year looks a lot like 09/10.

Day 6-7- December 2nd, 4th, 2011
    Snowbird
    Custom ICS
    Conditions: Softening and some new snow

December Begins! Not that it means much, we have had very little snow so far. Friday the 2nd was a softening day which was fun to cruise. Sunday the 4th was a fun day with some new snow to freshen up the trails. I am not going to sing a sob story, it has been thin so far, but we will get our snow, it is a matter of time.

Day 8- December 9th, 2011
    Snowbird- Occupy P-Dog!
    Custom ICS
    Conditions: Peruvian Gulch and Lift opening day- mix of man made and natural creaminess!

Finally! After waiting for what seemed like forever, Peruvian Gulch and the P-Dog chair opened today! The snow was in excellent condition for how little we have had in accumulation. Runs from the peak and off the chair were fast and smooth! Even went a bit off trail, not too far off, there is some nastiness still exposed out there that you would not want to meet. It would probably destroy your gear, if not you! Got to shred the day with my favorite riding partner, Jeremy who I spent the entire record breaking season of 10/11 with riding. It was just like good old times, fast laps and lost of sprayin' to be had! Now if we could get one of those massive storm cycles to put a bit more of the mountain in play. Never the less, a fantastic day riding, bluebird skies and snowboarding- nothing can beat that!

Yup! We just got a bunch more open too. Need some fatty storms to fill in the back and side country. Too many obstacles. Be careful!

Quote Originally Posted by powderglut View Post
    Yup! We just got a bunch more open too. Need some fatty storms to fill in the back and side country. Too many obstacles. Be careful!
    Yeah, the crazies were out yesterday, with a 28" base trying to get untracked off trail on the cirque, not smart IMHO. There are big ass rocks over there that are not even full buried yet. I hit some stuff that was grassy meadows yesterday, because I know what it looks like in the off season. But other than that I was on trail, not really looking for a season ending injury in these conditions.

Here is a pic from our friend Diane's phone on one of our runs from the peak yesterday.
    Last edited by Dr. Nebz; 12-23-2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Leaving this place.

Day 9- December 11th, 2011
    Snowbird
    Custom ICS
    Conditions: Firm like frozen chicken

Wow, what a difference 2 days makes. Pretty firm everywhere you went today. We started off the peak to Regulator, that was fun in some spots, firm in others. Then headed up P-Dog, and I found out how gnarly all this hard snow has been on my edges. Barely made it down with everything in tact. Figured I would go hit a Wilbere, and came straight back to the shop. They did a full tune, and I did 3 redemption laps on P-Dog before it was time to head home. I made the best of it, and at least my gear is ready incase we get robbed again by old man winter. I took some video from today, but I will combine it with what I shoot this week. Not enough to put a full video together. But for your viewing pleasure, I put up this video from Friday of our friend taking a nasty digger right off the lift. He is ok, but it for sure rang the bell. This is a prime example of why I am staying on trail at this point, and for sure wearing a helmet. BJ is one of the best riders I know. He is ok, but was a bit dazed after that one. Click the image and it will take you to the video. Be careful out there. Pray 4 Snow!

Ya, I had a friend go down hard on Sat. He never goes down. Never!! Pride hurt, more than the body bounce.
    Going from natural to manmade, lots of terrain holes and dips, combined with speed. Well you know! I've been really checking my speed on certain runs. Don't need to get launched.
    You guys stay safe! We have one more week with no people, and then it's first at the gondy door every am to beat the crowds. We know "it" will come. History says so!!

Yeah, there are some sections I will mach it on, and some areas where I just slow it up a bit. My edges got completely rounded from all of this hard snow we have, so they are now freshly sharp and ready to go. I know we will get snow, it is just a matter of when.

To anyone who has not voted for me in the POV contest, I would appreciate some help, as I am just a couple of votes out of first place as of this morning.

Maybe if I win it will dump like mad! We need it!

Day 10- December 14th, 2011
    Solitude
    Custom ICS
    Conditions: New snow and Bluebird Skies!

We finally got some snow! I got an invite to shred Solitude with my good friends Phil and Scotty. This was not something I was going to miss out on. We started off on Eagle and rode the whole resort. The snow was in great condition, lots of little things to jump off of and really fast laps. Even a few freshies off trail with no hidden surprises. It is still a very early season snow pack, so you have to be careful, but the coverage was good and you could venture most places on the mountain. It was obvious where you did not want to be, and we stayed away from those. Solitude is like a playground, so much stuff to do and play on, steeps, trees, cutouts, it is a snowboarders paradise. In all, it was a great day, perfect to be in the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    Solitude is like a playground, so much stuff to do and play on, steeps, trees, cutouts, it is a snowboarders paradise.
    Yep, it really does. It works well on two stick as well. Great video!!!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Yep, it really does. It works well on two stick as well. Great video!!!
    Thanks! It was as fun to make that as it is to watch it!

Oh yeah, my friend Scotty is in that video, and he is a two planker.