Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jolly Gulch Accident

Incredible story. It sounds like your being able to keep your head in a terrible situation like that and make good, well-thought out decisions played a big role in things turning out okay. I've never found myself in such a situation in canyoneering but I have been in a similar spot (your comment about having latex gloves could've been a quote from me... since the last incident I was involved in I always have a pair in the kit) and I know that it's never an easy thing to make decisions that could be the difference in someone living or dying. Sounds like you did all the right things. Thank you for sharing.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Thanks JJ for doing an awesome job, and for telling the story here.

Tom

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post

Thanks JJ for doing an awesome job, and for telling the story here.

Tom
    X2

Incredible story. I'm glad to hear that she will be ok.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    Incredible story. I'm glad to hear that she will be ok.
    X2 Wow!
    Chere'

Amazing - thanks for sharing that, JJ. Way to go!!

WOW that is an incredible story. thank you for sharing! and wow megan! Good work everyone!

That's a heckuva story.

Great job, and, nice of you to share.

Thanks!

Wow, those hard rocks are pretty unforgiving. I hope Megan has a speedy and complete recovery. Hopefully she will forgive Jake.

Just a bit of advice-guys, try to remember that your girl friend probably doesn't climb like Lynn Hill:

Ken

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    Wow, those hard rocks are pretty unforgiving. I hope Megan has a speedy and complete recovery. Hopefully she will forgive Jake.

... climb like Lynn Hill:

Ken
    Even AFTER a 60 foot groundfall:

http://www.climbandmore.com/climbing...,climbers.html

Tom

Well done JJ. Thanks for telling about this nasty accident. And excellent work by SAR. I would like to hear the things they said to Megan so that if I ever come across a situation I can help out better and say the right things. Again, great job. I am glad this seems to have a good ending.
    Life is Good

Thanks for sharing JJ, its an incredible story.

Thanks again for all the shout outs, everyone. I hope it helped give some insight into these types of situations. For me, it was a sobering experience. Both on the reality of how long a canyon rescue takes (Jolly Gulch being an extremely easy access canyon compared to most) and also how much I don’t know about first aid. I’ve been putting off getting my WFR for a long time now. Needless to say, I’m looking for a class to take asap (though they aren’t nearly as available in the northeast… )

If you’re out there enough, chances are you’ll run into a situation where you’ll need it. Especially in the heavily trafficked Zion canyons.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Well done JJ. Thanks for telling about this nasty accident. And excellent work by SAR. I would like to hear the things they said to Megan so that if I ever come across a situation I can help out better and say the right things. Again, great job. I am glad this seems to have a good ending.
    Considering the start, I’d say it’s definitely a good ending.

As for what the SAR Personnel said: it wasn’t necessarily what they said but rather, how. They were calm and almost cheerful while talking with each other, Jake and I, and Megan. They were fully conscious of everyone that was there in the canyon. Focus of course was on Megan but they keep open communication with Jake and I, getting us involved wherever possible.

At one point after SAR arrived, Megan again started asking if we could do something about her “wet” foot. The one SAR EMT said “well Megan, I’m all about being strait with people. Your foot feels cold because it’s barely attached. Though, there isn’t any real tissue damage so they should be able to fix it just fine” (said in that very “it’s no big deal” relaxed and cheery kind of tone) – I personally wouldn’t have said this, but I’m also not a part of the SAR team that just arrived to save the day. I think there’s a big distinction there.

Damn. What a story. Thanks for sharing JJ. And of course; best wishes for a speedy and full recovery for Megan.

Wow JJ. It seems to me that you were a big part of her still being alive. You should get some kind of a metal. Great Job!

Jake is probably single now
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    Wow JJ. It seems to me that you were a big part of her still being alive. You should get some kind of a metal. Great Job!

Jake is probably single now
    yeah! like lead, mercury, or aluminum!! You're awesome JJ. I'll see if I can make a t shirt that says "Canyonman Jr." or something
    - Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by jdamin View Post
    Considering the start, I’d say it’s definitely a good ending.

As for what the SAR Personnel said: it wasn’t necessarily what they said but rather, how. They were calm and almost cheerful while talking with each other, Jake and I, and Megan. They were fully conscious of everyone that was there in the canyon. Focus of course was on Megan but they keep open communication with Jake and I, getting us involved wherever possible.

At one point after SAR arrived, Megan again started asking if we could do something about her “wet” foot. The one SAR EMT said “well Megan, I’m all about being strait with people. Your foot feels cold because it’s barely attached. Though, there isn’t any real tissue damage so they should be able to fix it just fine” (said in that very “it’s no big deal” relaxed and cheery kind of tone) – I personally wouldn’t have said this, but I’m also not a part of the SAR team that just arrived to save the day. I think there’s a big distinction there.
    Thanks, I also think there is a distinction. It is different when you know someone vs. when you are a third party. For the "professionals" who are not (as) emotionally attached it is easier hearing the facts from them I would think. If I am the victim I would want it straight and I would expect it from the professionals. The victim will also respond to them with a stiffer upper lip, so to speak, than perhaps a friend or family member telling them the facts. A lot of interpersonal dynamics at play in those situations. Again, great job in a nasty situation. The WFR class is great. Highly recommended!
    Life is Good

JJ! Why am I just seeing this story now? You should have called just to say, "Guess what I just did." You'll have to tell the story to me in person when you come for ghawk's wedding.

Oh, and by the way, JJ is not Canyonman, but after this, I believe they must both come from the same heavenly realm.

Great job man!

I already said this to you the next day after this story happened, but I might as well do it here too. Way to be! I wish I could have been there to help you out!