Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jolly Gulch Accident

Jolly Gulch Accident

Zion National Park (UT)
    Woman Seriously Injured In Canyoneering Accident

On November 15th, a 26-year-old man and a 20-year-old woman completed the Jolly Gulch canyoneering route, a seldom visited route on the east side of the park. The route involves two rappels, one of 160 feet and the other of 100 feet. After completing the rappels, most canyoneers then hike a mile and a half through the canyon to a road. Instead, the pair attempted to free climb up the side of the canyon with the goal of reaching the canyon rim. The woman fell 60 feet from a small ledge to the ground and suffered shoulder and ankle fractures as well as lacerations to her spleen and liver. The man and woman worked at a local resort and made contact with the resort front desk by family radio. The National Park Service response was delayed due to confusion amongst the resort staff, who initially believed resort employees could resolve the incident without assistance. When a Kane County deputy arrived on scene, he requested an immediate response from the Zion SAR team due to the patient's deteriorating condition. Ranger/medics Ryan McDonald-O'Lear and Brandon Torres responded and stabilized the hypotensive patient. Ranger Therese Picard was the incident operations chief and led the rope raising operation, which was conducted entirely in the dark. Members of the Kane County Search and Rescue Team assisted with the operation and coordinated the medical helicopter evacuation. The woman survived and is currently in stable condition. The man was cited for failing to obtain a required canyoneering wilderness permit.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][Submitted by Ray O

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Canyoneering wilderness permit for Jolly Gulch??? Now we have to get a general canyoneering permit if we go into an unregulated canyon within Zion???

Blog Entries
    Jolly is an okay canyon - but it is a refreshing break from the norm.

That is curious why he was fined for a canyon not on the list.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

you always have to get a permit in zion for ANY technical canyoneering, whether it's on the list or not.

Are you kidding? Here's the quote right from the Zion webpage: "Permits are required for all through hikes of the Virgin River and tributaries, the Left Fork of North Creek (the Subway), Kolob Creek, and all canyons requiring the use of descending gear or ropes. "

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shagdeuce View Post
    Canyoneering wilderness permit for Jolly Gulch??? Now we have to get a general canyoneering permit if we go into an unregulated canyon within Zion???

If you use a rope, you need a permit. Have for the last 6 years. Not a change.

"My partner fell 60' and might be dying, but don't call the Park because I might get in trouble!!!"

T

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    you always have to get a permit in zion for ANY technical canyoneering, whether it's on the list or not.
    lol......whoops a daisy.

Someone told me back in 2003 that if it's not on the slot canyon list - you are good to go.

I suppose, I've been real lucky then. I'm glad I know this now (thanks for clarifying), rather than later...geez.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

One of my friends was there! He was the person from the resort who came to help them while they waited for SAR. He stabilized the girl and kept her alive for like six hours. It's a pretty crazy story. Controversy or not, I say good work to JJ.

--Cliff

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    One of my friends was there! He was the person from the resort who came to help them while they waited for SAR. He stabilized the girl and kept her alive for like six hours. It's a pretty crazy story. Controversy or not, I say good work to JJ.

If the couple had of done this route backward and completed the climbing portion first than the canyon would have just been the exit to their climbing route.... And you don't need permits for climbing routes.

Yeah I talked to JJ the next day and he told me the whole story. It was his last day working at the Resort. He received the call around 3:30 or 4 and rapped down 300 feet to get to them. Her foot was almost completely severed from her leg and he was able to bandage it and to apply enough pressure to keep the blood flow low. He also treated her for shock. He was there till midnight with her. The response was really slow, not sure how accurate the report was... JJ might say there were other reasons for the delay. He ended up ascending the 300 foot rope (which was on a slanted slope) twice and helped get her onto the stretcher thing they pull people out on. He said she showed signs of internal injury as well. Word is she was okay and her foot was able to be attached later. Then JJ got to pack and drive to the Las Vegas airport at 2:30 am and fly home to New York. When I talked to him it was 6 pm the next day and he still hadn't slept. Nice work JJ
    - Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by ghawk View Post
    Nice work JJ
    x2

Quote Originally Posted by ghawk View Post
    Her foot was almost completely severed from her leg and he was able to bandage it and to apply enough pressure to keep the blood flow low.
    Yikes!

Nice work JJ. Maybe he will login and post on Bogley. Be safe out there everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Maybe he will login and post on Bogley. Be safe out there everyone.
    He is a member, he just doesn't get on too often. He'll probably be happy to tell the story when he sees this, though.
    --Cliff

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    He is a member, he just doesn't get on too often. He'll probably be happy to tell the story when he sees this, though.

Looking forward to his telling of it!

Wow, amazing stuff. Good work, JJ!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    canyon man has been revealed! his second coming this year! praises & peace be upon his name

[FONT=&quot][SIZE=4]It sounds like everyone

Name:  SAR image..jpg
Views: 2837
Size:  98.0 KBName:  P1010028..jpg
Views: 2352
Size:  27.8 KBName:  Zion Ponderosa 03&.jpg
Views: 2721
Size:  102.4 KB

The last image is part of the multi-stage second rappel in Jolly Gulch taken from a different trip.