Thread: Best sled for trail sledding (NOT snowmobiles, snow sleds)?

Best sled for trail sledding (NOT snowmobiles, snow sleds)?

Last winter I saw a group of people snowshoe up a trail in Millcreek, and sled down on small sleds. This looked like a blast, and I want to do it this winter. I'm struggling to find small, maneuverable sleds though. The ones they had were just big enough to sit on (maybe a bit bigger than 1'x1', and had a handle on each side. Brake and steer with feet.

Does anyone know of any good sleds for this, and where I could get them? Something small enough to easily attach to a day pack would be best.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Oh man, I did this on Saturday up Lambs canyon and it was wild. Even tho lamb's wasn't very steep (which was on purpose to avoid extreme avi danger). We used larger sleds tho. Mine was about 2' x 4' (2 man foam sled) that i picked up from Wall-Mart for about $35. Too big to strap to your back so we just towed them behind us. The sleds worked great although you might want something a little more trail worthy as i damaged mine slightly when i ran into a tree, and my buddy punched a whole straight thru his dropping onto a log. We rode on our hands and knees for optimal maneuverability.

I took us about 2 1/2 hrs from the trailhead to the pass. And about 45 mins to get back down. Even tho we stopped several times to repeat the fun sections.
    I definitely will be doing this again. Next time i will find a steeper trail as we did have to walk bits of it on the way down.
    If you find any canyons/trails that seem like they were built for this kind of thing i'd love to hear about.

Good luck and have fun.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
    -John Muir

Blog Entries
    I heard the Red Pine/White Pine Trail in LCC is great! There are a few vids on YouTube about it that make it look very fun looking!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Ice fishing sled if you want to step up the excitement a bit

There was a video posted on here somewhere of some dudes sledding some Utah canyon trails.