Thread: 2011.10.25 - The Left Fork and Subway (bottom up)

2011.10.25 - The Left Fork and Subway (bottom up)

It was another beautiful day, and I enjoyed the views on the Kolob Terrace Road driving towards the parking of the Left Fork. I parked, got my stuff and hiked into the forrest. It was funny to meet some people who already lost the correct route in the forrest, even before the descent. Gladly they made it all the way, I know because I met them later that day at the Subway. For me finding the route went easy and it was quite straight forward. The descent was quite steep, and I had fun thinking about how I would 'like' going up again at the end of the day. Once at the bottom of the canyon, I easily found where needed the path and as well jumped from stone to stone along the creek.

The canyon kept getting more beautiful and the walls of the canyon closed in on me
    gradually. I loved the silence, apart from the neverending sound of the water, the beauty and peacefulness of the canyon. For me everything appeared to be as it was meant to be.

The algae on the rocks were terribly slippery, and I happened to see a guy experience that very closely. At a nice area he tried to step on the stones with algea, to make a picture from there. I saw him step on the stones, loose his grip and kaboom. Gladly he was alright.

The final part of the hike is the most beautiful part. I was starting to recognize the area from the pictures I saw on the internet. I arrived at the Subway and it was great, the pools being crystal clear, the curved and colored walls. Amazing. After some exploration I went back to a tree to sit on, and changed my clothing for my wetsuit.

I had brought my wetsuit to be able to try and find secrets hidden beyond the pools... once changed, first a short swim, the waterfall (too) nearby, after which I decided to climb up to the next level. Looking down on the subway and enjoying the scenery, I hiked on. Around 2 corners, finding the tree in the Subway, ending up in the slot canyon towards Keyhole falls. Sadly my trip ended there, I didn
    Attached Images Attached Images                

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    sweeeet. T

Very Nice!!!
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Awesome that you made it above the lower subway section even though you came from the bottom.

Blog Entries
    very cool maarten. I'm very glad to hear that you went exploring above the "rappel" area and got to see more of what the Subway is a lot about!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Those pictures are awesome! Excellent work!
    --Cliff

Ken