Thread: Coming soon to Goblin Valley....YURTS!

Coming soon to Goblin Valley....YURTS!

I understand that Utah State Parks are under fire to pay for themselves..... but I don't think I'm a big fan of this...

YURT

Enjoy exploring the San Rafael Swell from your base camp in one of our newly constructed yurts. These modern adaptations of the ancient shelters used by Central Asian nomads come furnished for up to five people with a grill area set up outside for cooking and a propane stove inside to keep you warm on chilly nights.

What is a yurt?

A yurt is a modern adaptation of the ancient shelter used for centuries by Central Asian nomads. Though generally classified as a tent, the yurt is much stronger and weather-tight. The structure is constructed on a wooden deck. A transparent dome allows for ventilation and views of the night sky.

Yurt features:
    - 20-foot circular interior
    - Wrap-around deck facing the San Rafael Swell
    - Bunk beds and fold-out futon accommodate up to five people
    - Electricity
    - Swamp cooler
    - Nearby outdoor water spigots
    - Propane heating stove
    - Dining table with chairs
    - Ventilated clear dome
    - Grill area outside
    - Parking for two vehicles

Yurts do NOT have:
    - Bed linens
    - Camp stove

Cost per night: $60. A credit card is required for incidentals.
    To make reservations, go to reserveamerica.com or call (800) 322-3770.

Please:
    - Pets are not allowed inside yurt
    - No cooking/open flames inside yurt
    - Smoking in yurt is strictly prohibited
    - All furniture must be kept inside
    - Guests may not pitch tents or park other camping units at the yurt site.
    - Confine outside campfires to the designated fire ring provided.
    - Quiet hours are from 10 p.m to 7 a.m
    - Guests are responsible for damages in excess of normal wear and tear, and are responsible for any missing items.
    - Maximum capacity is five people
    - Check in - 3 p.m. Check out - 2 p.m.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Wow, that's really interesting. Maybe I missed it, but where in the st park are these going? Are some replacing some of the campsites or are these going far far away from the rest of the campsites (hopefully)?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

My first thought was "YUK". As I've grown up I've seen goblin valley and the little wild horse are go from no one knowing about it to fighting crowds. Not a fan of anything that brings the masses out there.

but then a small plus is...this could be pretty nice when down there in December and January. I still wouldn't do it, i can man the cold there though I can remember some crazy cold and windy nights...

they almost look like they'll be placed within the park limits on the little wild horse road? hope not...
    "an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" - Gandhi

I got a glimps of these driving out of Goblin Valley last time. I thought that they were employee housing. They are somewhat hidden from the main road (not sure about the CG-they were pretty close to it).

they almost look like they'll be placed within the park limits on the little wild horse road?
    From what I saw, they are just north of the campground.

I guess I don't mind them so much or maybe not at all. To me, they are no more visually intrusive than a standard RV, 5th wheel or even a big tent (all of which I also don't mind in a public CG).
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I got a glimps of these driving out of Goblin Valley last time. I thought that they were employee housing. They are somewhat hidden from the main road (not sure about the CG-they were pretty close to it).

From what I saw, they are just north of the campground.

I guess I don't mind them so much or maybe not at all. To me, they are no more visually intrusive than a standard RV, 5th wheel or even a big tent (all of which I also don't mind in a public CG).
    I camped in the campground last Tuesday and that's them just north of the campground.