Thread: Bolted slot canyon in Kanarraville Canyon

Bolted slot canyon in Kanarraville Canyon

There is a road that goes to Kolob Reservoir, just North of Kanarraville off the frontage road. Taking this road and staying to the right when the road forks will take you to the top of Kanaraville Canyon. I have followed the flow of water down from the top to the town of Kanaraville. It was very pretty, a little technical at the beginning, but for the most part just a walk. I did notice a side canyon that comes into Kanaraville Canyon about half a mile up river from the water slide on the North side, left side if going up river. I went back up the Kolob Res. road and found the top of the side canyon. There is an issue of hiking across private property, but there is a turnout on the road that makes it so you don't cross private property, just more bush whacking. There is an old dirt road, four wheeler trail now, that goes to the rim of Kanarraville Canyon and ends on a beautiful shelf with large "Zion feel" pine trees. Kanarraville is very narrow at this point and it is such an amazing view, environment, and secluded. The slot canyon starts in the main drainage to the West of where the ATV trail ends. It is pretty obvious because there is no other way down into the canyon. There was no trail to the start of the slot when I was there, so it might take some looking around. The first rap is off a large pine tree into the slot canyon. Most of the raps are multi level raps so don't pull your rope until you find the next anchors or you could get stuck. Two 200 foot ropes seem to work best. Natural anchors were used if available, but once in the canyon, all the raps are bolted. I do not leave a sling or anything at the top to try to keep this wonderful canyon hidden a little longer, so please don't leave bright colored webbing either. There is usually knee deep water in the slot, but you are going to get wet hiking out any ways. This is a great canyon in the summer time to cool off in the swimming holes coming out of Kanarraville Canyon. I have taken guides from ZAC, who commented that this canyon is one of the prettiest, fun raps, and fun to hike out. This location is amazing, how it looks and feels like Zion because you are right on the edge of the park. Yet it is not in the park so I will camp at the top, and plan on bolting a rap off the shelf into the canyon, should be around 600 feet, multi stage rap. The best part, for me, is that I can use my power drill. I will get some pictures next time I go through. RMG

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for sharing.

And welcome to Bogley.