Thread: So... I understand the appeal of a downhill bike, but...

So... I understand the appeal of a downhill bike, but...

I mean, I really do. I ride, arguably, the heaviest, stoutest downhill bike ever made. I choose to ride it over my 5" light, all mountain bike on most every trail in the wasatch, due to the fun I have plowing over all terrain. I mean, I really may be one of the biggest proponents for riding big bikes on just about every trail ever, but...
    Back when i was younger, stronger, and QUITE A BIT dumber I took my big bike down to Gooseberry Mesa. Sure, I thought I had fun dropping shelves and plowing rock piles, even though it was the worst work out i ever participated in. Fast forward a few years later, I took a long weekend and hit the goose along with Little Creek Mesa as well (no, I was too busy riding to stop and take pics; yes, it still did happen). This time I took my "all-mountain" (read: over mountain, enduro, xc, super d... what ever the hell marketing scheme you wanna call it) bike. After riding both bikes on this trail, I dare say that anyone that takes their big bike on these two trails is crazy! Now, I know that as you big bike guys are reading this, you are smiling to yourself thinking "hell yeah, I am crazy. I am a crazy ladder bridge dropping, log hopping, crazy S.O.B. - INSANE woohoo, I am hard core!!!", but thats not the insane that i am refering to right now. If you get butt hurt easy, go back to the main page...
    I had infinitely more amounts of fun on the small bike, and I am not just talking about the xc aspect of the trail either. Riding around on the slickrock (off trail), I was able to find a step up/step down combo over a long tall boulder, a flickable quarter pipe, and 7' gap with butter smooth transitions. The slickrock sections of the trail ride like a humongous skatepark, plenty of flow. Have you ever seen a 8" travel bike on a pump track? Negative, ghost rider...
    I dont want to hear any comments about its "their own choice" or "some people only have one bike" or "if someone thinks it's more cool, then let them choose to be gay". I dont care if you or him or her rides a big bike on the Goose. I am just saying that any drop or jump or transition on the Goose can be ridden with a 4-5" bike no problem. Matter of fact, in my opinion, the best bike to run on the Goose (especially if you are planning on hitting every drop that can be found) is a 4-5" travel full suspension with stiff fork and shock, like a slopestyle bike with the longer seat tube. Off the top of my head I am thinking a Transition Bottlerocket would recieve my vote. I would like to know what Greyhair Biker thinks about that selection (Since he's the only one here that picks the correct bike for any chosen trail - IMHO).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have some thoughts and wanted to share as well.

You should go back to the above post, sort out your thoughts, put them into a cohesive format, and rewrite this entire post. Maybe smoke some pot first to chill you out a bit. Good luck!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by jinx View Post
    I was too busy riding to stop and take pics; yes, it still did happen
    No it didn't

paragraphs would be nice too.
    IF she isn't happy no ones happy. If she isn't happy long enough you'll unhappy with half your stuff.
    http://childbikingutah.blogspot.com/

Jinx is cool, leave him alone. Anything that is shared in this forum especially this time of the year is good. As for big bikes, my excuse is that I punish myself for the exercise, and I live for the downhill. Jinx, you are right about gooseberry and little creek being fun to ride with a cross country style bikes. Mike and Morgan Harris who both made these trails did so on 4" travel cannondale bikes. I could also add that they made these trails while in their 50's. I know Mike Harris very well personally and I went to high school with his son. Before they were designated as biking trails the Harris's rode their motorcycles all of the time out there. Transition bottle rockets are awesome, I saw a guy hammering the stunts on I street earlier this year. I would like to ride the cove line up sometime. Keep that banshee tuned up for next year when we can ride the Canyons trail network.

Quote Originally Posted by StudChild View Post
    paragraphs would be nice too.

Banshee is still alive and kicking, although I have thought about trading her in for a bottlerocket lately. I was lucky enough to find a hammerschmidt for $150 over the summer and have been itching for something new to throw it on.

The first time I rode Gooseberry was on my 8" DH monster. It was a blast really BUT I had a more enjoyable ride on my all mountain rig this year --6" travel and 20+ lbs lighter. Having said this I really think it would be a ball to ride on a fully rigid beast as well - a total different experience. I can relax more with some travel under me arse and will always default to full suspension because here I am riding along and then -- SQUIRREL! ---I see something I just GOTTA clean - right?! I'm there to have FUN...what else is there really?