Thread: Sheiks Canyon & a walk in the Gulch

Sheiks Canyon & a walk in the Gulch

ZC0D4919 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

Photo by Mike

A friend and I decided to do a short backpack in Grand Gulch, and this was it, about 2-3 miles I think. The plan: Short but sweet descent via Sheiks to a spectacular camp spot @ Green Mask Ruin (near the junction with Grand Gulch), then day hike up the Gulch, exploring the north canyon wall for a few miles. I have been through Sheiks a dozen times, and it is always changing, different moods. The upper part is in no hurry, and neither were we. 50 degrees in the sun, it was perfect.

Then the canyon decides to turn and descend, quickly, with 3 or 4 rock falls to negotiate over the next 1/4 mile. It got cold, about 20 degrees colder in the shade of the canyon. In between falls is the "notch" on the right (LDC) that gives a view (and access) to Grand Gulch. I think, if you are backpacking, that a descent here with a short hike around the corner to Green Mask would be faster and easier thereby avoiding the lower rock falls.

P1040674 by greg watts photography, on Flickr
    View of the Thumb in Grand Gulch from the "notch" in Sheiks Canyon

Yet another mood swing, as I see my eye glasses slip off my face while crawling through a rock fall "cave" lower down, and disappear into the dark. I could not believe I found them om a protruding rock 15 feet down.
    The sun had set when we made it through and were setting up our tents in the elevated site (not in the cave), with a perfect view of Green Mask.

ZC0D4866 by greg watts photography, on Flickr
    View looking up Sheiks Canyon

I have photographed here before, so we decided to explore Grand Gulch on the north side from the Thumb.
    It was cloudy all day, which meant good detail and textures, but it was cold.
    We found several small ruins and rock art panels heading up canyon from the thumb.

ZC0D4753 by greg watts photography, on Flickr
    Ruin visible in the alcove to the left. If you stay on the trail in Grand Gulch you will only see the main sites. It's a lot more work (we made it only 2 miles that day) but by climbing out of the canyon bottom you see a lot of stuff not visible from the main trail. One of the cool features of this site is the huge pour off above and in front of the ruin, where the Anasazi might have built a huge swimming pool (I would have).

ZC0D4778 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

ZC0D4706 by greg watts photography, on Flickr
    This panel had at least 5 Kokopelli figures, with 3 serenading each other bottom center

ZC0D4738 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

ZC0D4757 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

ZC0D4760 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

ZC0D4758 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

ZC0D4810 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

ZC0D4822 by greg watts photography, on Flickr
    This panel was pretty long, with a series of unusual (at least for me, as i haven't seen as many panels as some on this forum, may be Randy can add some insight). There are 4 ascending (at an angle, from center of picture to the right) "jelly fish" looking figures in groups. Beautiful fine brush work, I did not have the right lens to get descent shots of them:

ZC0D4803 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice report and photos! I'm looking forward to getting back into the Gulch. It's part of the reason I am acquiring backpacking gear right now ;)
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Later that day......and the next

ZC0D4871 by greg watts photography, on Flickr
    A few shots of Green Mask site

ZC0D4838 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

ZC0D4869 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

ZC0D4855 by greg watts photography, on Flickr
    W/the macro

ZC0D4898 by greg watts photography, on Flickr
    That night w/the full moon

ZC0D4906 - Version 2 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

I was dreading the hike out. I am not 40 anymore! I was so beat that I did not have the energy to dig out my camera for the Yellow House in the upper canyon. It was fun just to stare at this beautiful structure though, and marvel at it's geometric forms. Whoever built this was a true artist. A few shots from the drive home:

ZC0D4928 by greg watts photography, on Flickr
    Castle Valley

ZC0D4929 - Version 2 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.
    Greg

5. Likes Tango liked this post
    Some really excellent shots there, Greg. I feel like it's been way too long since I went backpacking now. Was this just over the last few days?

Thanks Randy & Nick- the main hiking day was Friday 11-11-11.

I really like the full moon b&W shot! Very cool.
    Life is Good

very nice tr thanks !!!

A good TR and beautiful pictures.
    I love the night shots.
    Did you shoot that pics in BW, or developed them in a program of your choice?
    I need your help, please!
    Your first pic has shown a red BMW (3er) in the past.

Did you drove the road from the SR to the TH of Sheiks Cyn with this car?
    It's possible to do the same with an RV?

Thanks a lot for you help.

zzyzx

Sorry, i haven't checked back at this thread in a while.
    I shot them with my Canon 1DS MII in RAW, then processed them in Aperture as B&W. I never shoot in B&W, always RAW.
    Yeah my Bimmer shot disappeared, I will upload it again.
    I drove from the highway to the Bullett Canyon trailhead, then you make a right, and pretty soon you have a little uphill off camber "shelf", not too bad. Then an easy, flat 1.4 miles and make a left, then another easy 1.5 miles to the trailhead. The location of the photo is near the trailhead. I wouldn't drive an RV over that last part, but you are only 100 yards from the trailhead.
    If it is at all wet you will have no chance in a non awd/4wd vehicle, let alone an RV. As I don't know your vehicle I am not sure you can get over the shelf near Bullet Canyon.
    There is a great camp spot in the wash next to the trail sign.
    I hope this helps.
    Greg

Hi Greg,
    Thanks a lot for your reply.
    Yes, your hints are very helpful.
    An very good and interesting workflow for B&W.
    I shoot always JPG and RAW. My gear are Pentax K7 + Pentax lenses. Body and lenses are completely sealed.
    Pretty good, for my hiking adventures in the deserts and canyons of the Colorado Plateau.
    OK, not really the best choice. The big 2 has more and various kind of gear.
    The description to the TH of Sheiks Cyn, rescue my day.
    We're planning now for our 2012 trip to the southwest.
    I've been at Bullet Cyn TH, in the June of this year, but the parking area were not designed for RVs.
    I stood here, like on a tablet.
    There are no slots for RV camping. I wouldn't want others crowded of that place, so I drove back to the Hwy.
    I saw the rough way, upwards to Sheiks Cyn, you've described, but I wasn't sure.
    The road to Bullet TH were well prepared. Minor 'obstacles' for an RV are only the narrow curves and the shrubs and trees along the road.

Thanks again, Greg.
    Michael

Michael

You might try Mule Canyon, there is a great spot, big enough for an RV where the road crosses the main canyon, about 3/4 of a mile from the highway. It's on the right immediately after the bridge, big spot with lot's of room.
    Another spot that comes to mind would be a little more adventurous. Cigarette Springs has a big area, a few large group spots. I am not sure you could get all of the way down to the road to the springs, which is at the end of the road (9 miles?). I do not remember any big impediments, others may chime in here with additional info. There is a great spring here (Cigarette anyone?), and with some cool accessible ruins close by in a side canyon to Road Canyon (the camp spot is at the head of this canyon). The Citadel is an easy day hike in Road Canyon, and you get a spectacular view of it that you don't see coming from the main trailhead. The road to Government trail might work also, there are good camp spots off this road above Slickhorn and Point Lookout, with easy access to both canyons. Point Lookout is sublimely beautiful.
    Hope this helps, and don't get stuck.
    Greg
    RV's are tough in this country, maybe Comb Wash would be less "exciting" of a drive.....but easier.

Greg

Thanks a bunch for this helpful update.
    So we can build a really good plan for our 2012 tour.
    Good spaces for RVs are rare along SR 95 and SR 261 too.
    Now, the situation is much better, due to your help.
    Since 20 years, we travel w/ an RV in the southwest.
    The RV is pretty good as base camp in the wilderness for hiking and backpacking up to an week.
    Apropos, don't get stuck...
    I hope so, but a shovel and rope are every time aboard.

Thanks again and have a great x-mas time, Greg.
    Michael