Thread: I'd like to get into XC...where and how do I start?

I'd like to get into XC...where and how do I start?

I'll be moving to Ogden in early February. I'm interested in learning to XC ski, so I figure some lessons would help me get started right. Any suggestions for a place to get these lessons? Do the resorts offer them? REI? Obviously I won't have my own gear, in fact I need to learn how to pick the right stuff to rent or purchase.

If I successfully get going in my new sport, then I'll be pestering you for beta about good places to XC!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The Solitude Nordic Center is great with a groomed track for XC. I am not sure about the Ogden area.

Up near the Environmental Center is a decent trail. During the dry season we bike on it, called the Mule Trails. It's got berms that make the turns easy.

You might also be able to try the Bonneville Shoreline Trail which is on the Ogden side, easy to get to. It's rather low though in comparison so it might not have snow on the actual trail throughout the winter.

Biking video to give you somewhat of the terrain....

Map Route courtesy of @MtnBkr

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=106721438394524977499.000490773683bbd0ef065&t=h&ll=41.376024,-111.916264&spn=0.010949,0.01929&z=16

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    http://www.ogdennordic.com/

Contact these guys they will get you started.
    Chere'

Thanks for the replies. I checked out the links and did a little googling too. I found a blog from Solitude that talked about a clinic taught by an Olympian...I'd love to stumble into one of those!

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    When you do stumble upon them we expect a trip report with photos. And then more...
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    When you do stumble upon them we expect a trip report with photos. And then more...

[QUOTE] Be your own lift; Nordic skiing popular in Utah
    By Brett Prettyman
    The Salt Lake Tribune

There was a time when finding a place to hit Nordic ski trails in Utah was quite a challenge. Much has changed for those who prefer skinny skis over those fat planks downhill skiers are clicking into these days.

“Nordic skiing has really been growing in recent years and not just locally, but also around the country,” said Richard Hodges, president of The Utah Nordic Alliance (TUNA). “It is a low-cost and healthy family activity.”

Hodges said TUNA (a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting cross-country skiing in northern Utah) had roughly 800 members in the winter of 2010-11 and has grown by about 50 to 60 members each season over the past few years.

TUNA volunteers have groomed tracks for traditional cross country and skate skiing for years at Mountain Dell Golf Course. The grooming was expanded to nearby State Road 65, also known as the Big Mountain or East Canyon Road, two years ago.

There is a $5 daily fee to ski the track at Mountain Dell, but skiing the 5 miles of trail to the Salt Lake/Morgan county line is free.

In addition to providing a place to ski, TUNA also provides lessons, training and competitions.

There are youth league ski teams, adult masters ski training groups and Learn to Ski program for ages 4-8.

Those interested in competitive Nordic skiing can test their mettle in the Wasatch Citizens Series.

The first race is scheduled Dec. 17, conditions permitting, at Soldier Hollow in the Heber Valley.

If destination cross-country skiing is in your plans, TUNA can help. The organization runs a year-round yurt in the Uinta Mountains. The yurt has eight beds (bunk style) and a wood stove, with split wood provided. A propane cooking stove and basic kitchen equipment are also provided.

Utah cross-country skiing sites

Don’t want to bother with lift lines? Then consider Nordic skiing at one of many Utah venues or forests that cater to this aerobic sport. Here’s a list of places to participate in classic or skate-style cross-country skiing.

Soldier Hollow

Thanks for the info, Stefan!

X-C SKIING in Ogden / Weber County

Too bad you will not be in OGDEN = O-TOWN by JAN 7, 2012. That is when winter trails day takes place in Ogden Valley and at other venues on the Wasatch Front.

I am having to do a chop job on this post. Since it is my first. And I am not allowed to mention any other..........

Most of the Nordic venues listed in the SLC TRIB article, below, are in SLC area or south. Ogden Valley has wonderful X-C Ski venues.

I have now read the other answers to your request. SO you are set, with lots of Nordic Venues to check out.

Over time you can join the cognoscenti of NORDIC TRAILS on the Wasatch. There are excellent groomed trails outside of Logan, 30 min N of Ogden. But I bet you will agree with me that North Fork Park has one of the best NORDIC venues. AND the trails fee is modest.

I just had to take out lots of suggested info, because this blog.......

You can rent X-C Ski gear at the Weber State Univ Outdoor Program Rental Department on the campus in Ogden or in Eden in Ogden Valley at DIAMOND PEAK MOUNTAIN SPORTS. ALSO, on FRI, SAT, SUN the OGDEN NORDIC CENTER at North Fork Park is open 9 to 4pm. You can just go there and rent from a large selection of Rossignol and Solomon X-C Ski gear, given to ONC by each company just last year. NICE stuff. Most of the STAFF there is a member of ON Ski Club.There is a trails map too.

Ogden Nordic Ski Club may have some beginning classes. Once you get to OGDEN you can visit Ogden Nordic and ask them if they will have more classes this season. ALSO Check the rental DEPT of SNOWBASIN RESORT. They rent X-C Ski also and may teach some classes this year. Ask same questions at WSU Outdoor Program Rental DEPT in Ogden.

WELCOME TO O-TOWN. Great place to live if you like 4 seasons OUTDOORS!!!!!!

ET

If I were going to take lessons again I would go to White pine, nice area and good instructors.. My wife just did some lessons there and now Loves the X country now :)..

The Snow SUCKS so far this year though.. we went up to solitude last week and the groomed trail was a gigantic ice block
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

WASATCH FRONT X-C Skiing report:

Sadly the lack of natural snow in all of Ogden Valley is likely to cause the WINTER TRAILS DAY 2012 Ogden Nordic on SAT Jan 7.........to be cancelled. Since it is only the 3rd Annual WTD ON, this has never happened before. Members of the Ogden Nordic Ski Club told me on SAT that this Lack of snow only happens in North Fork Park, at the North end of Ogden Valley, about every 10 yrs.

Ogden Nordic Ski Club is its own 501(c) 3 non profit. But it is still associated with TUNA (The Utah Nordic Association) which is based in Park City. TUNA holds its Winter Trails Day every Jan on the Mountain Dell Golf Course, which TUNA has been grooming for X-C Skiing during the winter for many years. Both TUNA and Ogden Nordic Ski Club have X-C Ski classes for all levels of skiing, incl. Skate and Racing Skiing. TUNA and O-Nordic also have many X-C Ski race series that go from DEC through March. So check their main web sites:

TUNA
    http://www.utahnordic.com/

OGDEN NORDIC.com
    http://www.ogdennordic.com/

So happy X-C Skiing once you get to Ogden.

ET

I've been x-country skiing for the past 3 seasons now. One of the best things I did was take the free x-country class at Mtn. Dell last year, put on by TUNA. I learned soooo much in just a couple of hours that have made my skiing more efficient, faster and fun. When we get snow, watch for their free ski days.
    Are we there yet?