Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Brainstorm: Canyoneering Adventure Challenge

Yes, getting a few people together would certainly be more fun. I get to UT maybe 2-3 times/year so not sure where I'd be, but like you say, announce something and see who shows up.

I will note again, that describing 1 - 3 courses and letting people post times at their convenience would logistically be the easiest.

Passing is an interesting topic. My partner and I were climbing 50 pitches in a day in Eldorado Canyon a few years ago; we were simul'ing 16 routes in a little over 11 hours and were really cranked. Got to the base of one where a party was gearing up; we said while jogging up to the rock, "Mind if we go?", and the guy said, "Yes I mind, we were here first." We were taken aback, especially since they hadn't left the ground yet, and explained we'd be gone in literally 5 minutes, so please let us just pop up this, but he adamantly refused. We always play by the rules, so shaking our heads we had to move on to something else, because it wouldn't be right to be discourteous.

That fall my girlfriend and I made our first visit to Yosemite, and hiked up to Snake Dike after driving in that morning. A party of 3 from New York state was already on it, whom we immediately caught up with. They also adamantly refused the pass, again after multiple requests. We gnashed our teeth for a pitch, doubting we had brought enough water for this ordeal, when 3 Austrian guys ran up our ass. They were smiling and pleasant, even as "No" clearly had zero meaning to them. When their leader clipped into our belay, where the third person from the first party was still tied in, and consisted of 2 bolts on a blank face, meaning a fall from any one person would load the anchor for all 8 people, it was time to pull the trigger and get the heck up and out of there.

I realized in a cosmopolitan place like Yo, where gumbies and world-class intermingle, there is no local ethic so one must be polite while just doing what needs to be done. The next day on Royal Arches we got the firm "No!" again from a Belgian couple, and this time I didn't ask a second time, just saying "Sorry" and smiled pleasantly while shifting into turbo around left.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Passing is an interesting topic. My partner and I were climbing 50 pitches in a day in Eldorado Canyon a few years ago; we were simul'ing 16 routes in a little over 11 hours and were really cranked.
    Didn't, uhh, one of them speed fellers in Boulder get fairly hurt in a speed climbing gig?

Bill's partner Tom I seem to dimly recall. Can't find the link to the report. Scary.

Funny group:

http://www.wwwright.com/climbing/minions/

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I realized in a cosmopolitan place like Yo, where gumbies and world-class intermingle, there is no local ethic so one must be polite while just doing what needs to be done. The next day on Royal Arches we got the firm "No!" again from a Belgian couple, and this time I didn't ask a second time, just saying "Sorry" and smiled pleasantly while shifting into turbo around left.
    Passing can be tough and a bit touchy.

I always think of the Euro crowd as being fairly saavy about passing, since it seems to be done so swiftly there. I climbed with a fairly well known older Belgian climber at their area in Freyr. We headed up a popular five pitch route, and, climbed through and passed a partly so quickly and seamlessly it made my head spin. They were fine with it. Commonly done.

[QUOTE=Brian in SLC;480783]Didn't, uhh, one of them speed fellers in Boulder get fairly hurt in a speed climbing gig?

Bill's partner Tom I seem to dimly recall. Can't find the link to the report. Scary.]

Yes. Bill and I were going to try 100 pitches IAD, but a month prior I went in for knee surgery. He recruited Tom to take my place. Tom took a 100'+ whipper, stopped by a #2 cam. Didn't look good, but 6 months later he was climbing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
    I've got a crew ready!
    Hey, let's make it the oldies against the young bucks. Or the girls against the boys? Toss in a leg wrestling match at the finish, eh?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar