Thread: Anybody buy Beef Jerky in bulk online?

Anybody buy Beef Jerky in bulk online?

It's time for me to wise up and stop buying jerky at the Maverick everyday. I need to grab some jerky in bulk from somewhere.

Any favorite brands?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You need to just make a trip out to Tooele (Erda to be exact) and get some Jerky from Thompsons smokehouse... Buy it by the pound :)..
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by DOSS View Post
    You need to just make a trip out to Tooele (Erda to be exact) and get some Jerky from Thompsons smokehouse... Buy it by the pound :)..
    Looks like they have an online store front.
    http://thompsonssmokehouse.com/

I buy jerky from WinCo. There is one on 2000 W. and about 2500 N. in Clinton. I can't remember the brand but it comes in about 1lb clear bags for like $10.

Quote Originally Posted by DOSS View Post
    This. Best jerky ever.

Can you get it anywhere else SLC?

I always get the honey glazed jerky from "far west outfitters" when I head south. I always find it in Nephi, Fillmore, Beaver, etc. I've never seen it around SLC. I really like that kind and I think it is made in northern Utah?

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Love Far West Outfitters Honey Glazed! Took some of that with me to China. Sorta kinda know the guy that owns the company, he is in Far West just far west of North Ogden. He has an online site.
    Chere'

Farr West Outfitters is sold in Winegars and quite a few Chevron stations up here. Good stuff, in fact I'd buy it in bulk but I'll have to call for pricing.

I just heard that they have bacon jerky at Walmart? Really?!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I just heard that they have bacon jerky at Walmart? Really?!
    brb

If you enjoy jerky in large quantities, have you ever made your own (beef, venison, elk, etc)? Very easy to make in either oven or dehydrator and a whole lot cheaper (and you know the country of origin). There is no finer jerky than the kind you have trimmed and seasoned to your liking.

My favorite is to marinate whole muscle cuts in "Very Teriyaki" sauce with a little crushed red pepper added to make it sweet and hot.

My neighbor has a hickory blend that melts in your mouth, but he just laughs when I ask him what his recipe is.

I've also tried some of the seasoning blends you can buy at Sportsmans, Cabelas, etc. and they are very good too (I marinate mine at least 2 days, btw).

I didn't end up making it out to WalMart yet, I'll try on my lunch break today.

I've dabbled in making my own jerky. We used to do this a few times with the deer we harvested from the hunt, but cutting all of those strips took way too long.

What's a good kind of meat to make jerky from that doesn't take a lot of additional cutting and prep?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    What's a good kind of meat to make jerky from that doesn't take a lot of additional cutting and prep?
    Once or twice a year I'll make some from rump roast when I can find it on sale. Most butcher shops will slice a whole roast for free (I buy them at Smith's and they have always been more than happy to slice it), but I would check to make sure they can get it thin enough first. I've sliced my own as well, and I always do it across the grain to get the most tender jerky. I marinate it in about two parts worcestershire sauce to one part soy sauce, seasoned with garlic powder, Season-All, and black pepper.
    Blog | FB

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I didn't end up making it out to WalMart yet, I'll try on my lunch break today.

I've dabbled in making my own jerky. We used to do this a few times with the deer we harvested from the hunt, but cutting all of those strips took way too long.

Cutting strips can be a pain, but if you buy lean, large muscle cuts with little or no gristle, it's a whole lot easier.

If you don't want to spend a lot of time cutting strips, try extra lean ground beef in a jerky shooter. Extremely easy to make delicious sticks or strips. I always use jerky cure and seasoning mix with ground meat. Cajun and hickory are my favorites. Excellent!

flank steak is cheap and makes good jerky. the trick to slicing is to put the steak in the freezer for a little while so its gets just barely frozen. then it holds it's shape and is easy to slice uniformly. 1/4 to 1/8 in thickness is what i try for.

i have always marinated mine overnight and then hang it with paper clips on an oven rack. turn the oven down to about 150 degrees for 8 hours. (make sure the door is cracked open. i use a wooden spoon to hold the door open.) jerky is done when it breaks like a green stick.

marinades vary. yoshida gourmet sauce is good for a sweeter flavor. lemon pepper and garlic, soy and pepper are good too. be creative and have fun with it.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Now I'll be d*mned.....
    Having traveled in the USA a couple of times (I'm Dutch), I've seen this 'beef jerky' often in the States.
    Somehow I really didn't like the idea of it, it really gave me the shivers when thinking of it....

Now, however, after reading the posts above, I am actually getting curious what it is like. Reading about the possibilities in flavors, I'm curious to what fantastic flavor combinations I can think of. Thinking of ginger, lime and chipotle. Even without knowing what the structure of the jerky will be like.
    You guys have made me curious, and next time I see it I most probably will actually try it...
    I honestly wasn

[QUOTE=maarten.1975;481294]Now I'll be d*mned.....
    Having traveled in the USA a couple of times (I'm Dutch), I've seen this 'beef jerky' often in the States.
    Somehow I really didn't like the idea of it, it really gave me the shivers when thinking of it....

Now, however, after reading the posts above, I am actually getting curious what it is like. Reading about the possibilities in flavors, I'm curious to what fantastic flavor combinations I can think of. Thinking of ginger, lime and chipotle. Even without knowing what the structure of the jerky will be like.
    You guys have made me curious, and next time I see it I most probably will actually try it...
    I honestly wasn
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt