Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: zion canyon

I think I found that, but I didn't see any info re: how long the coyote gulch loop is. Anyone know?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Here's a suggestion. Buy "Canyon Hiking Guide to the Colorado Plateau" by Mike Kelsey.
    If you only have a couple days for Zion, and it appears you've never been there before, just come and don't worry about planning it out, there's plenty to do right from the canyon bottom. It'll take you a couple days to get the lay of the land and familiarize yourself for return trips. The book mentioned above will square you away, with everything. Trust me...

Hard to pick for a 2-day trip, but here's a few suggestions:
    Note that last winter's record snowfall made ALL of these impossible the first week of March(I tried the second two then, finally did all three, minus Observation Point, two weeks ago), and the weather, especially at Kolob, can be wildly unpredictable.

-West Rim
    Day 1: West Rim Trail to campsite. Campsite 3 is good. Nice views.
    Day 2: West Rim to the Grotto, plus Angel's Landing.
    Will require shuttling or two cars, if the trailhead is accessible, and the hike even doable.

-La Verkin Creek Trail.
    Day 1: Lee Pass to Kolob Arch and Beartrap Canyon, back to campsite.
    Day 2: back to Lee Pass, and either explore a finger canyon on the way out, or do the Taylor Creek Trail to Double Arch Alcove(~5 miles roundtrip), since you have to drive right by it.

-East Rim from the bottom.
    Day 1: Weeping Rock to Cable or Deertrap Mountain with side hike of Hidden Canyon, and maybe check out the accessible section of Echo Canyon's slot system. No campsites, camp at the edge of the canyon with a view.
    Day 2: Back out East Rim, side hike to Observation Point.

I started to do either the Chinle Trail, or Coalpits Wash, which are supposed to be good alternative hikes when snow screws up some of the popular routes, but don't know much about them, having elected to explore a finger canyon and overnight in Kolob then go back to Vegas for dayhikes at Red Rock, instead.