Windows 8 Developer Preview available for download

I'm going to install this on one of my home machines this week

Download Windows 8 Developer Preview here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

More info from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f...oratenews.aspx

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'll guarantee it won't be that fast on launch. Windows is a lot of things but efficient has never been one of them.

What is this win doze you speak of? I have only catchy feline names for my operating systems
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

Quote Originally Posted by Pelon1 View Post
    What is this win doze you speak of? I have only catchy feline names for my operating systems

Alright so here are a few screenshots of my Windows 8 Developer installation. I'm grabbing these screenshots via logmein.com

So this is the screenshot everybody sees with all the apps. The Windows 8 operating system is optimized for the touch screen monitors and tablets obviously, but you can navigate just fine with a mouse and keyboard.

It turns out this is just really the "Start Menu", each app is easily drag and dropped into your preferred spot. I imagine most of the new users will go to the Windows Explorer App to get back into their comfort zone but quickly realize they don't need to always be looking at a bunch of folders all the time.

Name:  windows 8 1..jpg
Views: 547
Size:  38.1 KB

If you're not using a touch screen, you can navigate left or right through this app page with the arrows on the bottom corners of the screen, sliding the scroll bar, or just drag an app left or right through the screen.

Name:  windows 8 2..jpg
Views: 451
Size:  57.0 KB

Windows Internet Explorer 10

Name:  windows 8 5..jpg
Views: 442
Size:  78.5 KB

The comfort zone of Windows Explorer. The desktop is black here because I'm grabbing this screenshot via LogMeIn. Otherwise it's a standard desktop background which can be personalized the usual way by Right Clicking on the Desktop and selecting Personalize.

Name:  windows 8 4..jpg
Views: 327
Size:  45.3 KB

The Control Panel App, again accessed from the Start Menu. At the moment I'm a little confused on how to actually exit out of Control Panel in Windows 8 but I just hit the Windows + D key combo to get to the desktop and exit that way. I tried right clicking in there but couldn't find an "exit strategy" via mouse clicks.

Name:  windows 8 3..jpg
Views: 356
Size:  53.9 KB

Control Alt Delete gives you the usual options

Name:  windows 8 6..jpg
Views: 315
Size:  16.4 KB

And the new look for the Windows Task Manager in Windows 8

Name:  windows 8 9..jpg
Views: 313
Size:  69.2 KB

So again, once I realized that Windows Explorer is still easily accessible, I can avoid the learning curve at my convenience then dive into it when I'm ready. I'll keep Windows 8 on this machine until I'm forced to license it which probably won't be for another year.

I just don't get the whole square motif. I have not had any interest in Windows Mobile 7 because of the squares, and so I'm disappointed to see it moved to the Windows OS. What do you think?
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Yeah I'm not too fond of that, I'm messing around with the theme to see if the corners get rounded or the Aero is an option. It might be in the works but just not available on this developer version

Even though it runs great with the normal desktop / laptop setup, here's how to really optimize the Windows 8 experience:

It's been a while that I've messed around with this, but I figured out how to leave applications without the touch buttons or keyboard shortcuts. If you put the mouse on the left side of the screen you'll see the clickable preview of the other app.

Well I've had my fun but I'm going to roll back to windows 7 on this machine. I just can't function with only 3 computers at home, I've got to put this one back to work.

Sent from Tapatapatapatalk

I installed it last week and messed around with it and I FREAKIN hate it! It's useless unless you're on the touch screen. It's like they said, "hey, this touch screen thingy is the new hit, lets jump on the band wagon and throw all our eggs in one basket."