Thread: Southern Utah: Duck Hunting Destinations?

Southern Utah: Duck Hunting Destinations?

Hey folks,

Just picked up my first shotgun, a Remington 870, and my federal stamp. This is my first season of duck hunting and most of my previous hunting buddies have moved back to Colorado.

Anybody know of places worth scouting in Southern or Central Utah? I live in Cedar City and I would prefer not to drive more than 2.5 hours. We have one or two small places here that I have tried thus far. Both have been awfully quiet so far. I have heard good things about Delta but it is mostly private land.

Any thoughts? Looking forward to some cold mornings and hopefully some Crispy Duck.

Phillip

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Enterprise and Baker resevior. I am not aware of any marshes, some guys jump shoot off of the Virgin river.

Was wondering about both of those. Will have to give them a try next weekend.

Thanks

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    The stream below Minersville Res. can be good.

By far the best Southern Utah Duck Hunting is actually a little jaunt of a drive but well worth it. I'm talking about The Bicknell Bottoms wetland area. Just west of Torey and right outside of Bicknell. This is a jewel of a waterfowl area in South Central Utah and some of the best waterfowl hunting I've ever seen. Plenty of Wetlands to set up a good decoy layout and great open water as it is at the head waters of the Freemont river. A rare resting spot for migratory birds.
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

Thanks everyone. Can't believe I spaced Bicknell Bottoms.....all the fishing descriptions I have read of that area should have hinted at its waterfowl option.

Got my first bird last week.....a beautiful little Green Winged Teal. Made for a great celebratory appetizer.

Phillip

Glad to hear you got some shooting. Congrats

Yeah, I have been getting out quite a bit since I bought my 12 gauge. Its been mixed approaches, been stalking some grouse as well. Though the stalking is mostly walking around with only a minor clue of habitat and behavior. Part of the learning process.

Got my dozen of dekes today and look forward to learning that part of the trade. Won't have a chance to head over to Bicknell for 2 more weeks but I am excited to finally visit for a few days.

Thanks for sharing thoughts everyone. As a complete novice (never hunted as a kid) I can use all the help I can get. Especially if I want to put more wild game on the table to justify the expenses to my wife.
    Phillip

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I went pheasant hunting today. One of the guys on the hunt, from Cedar, is an avid duck hunter. He has been slaying them at Quichipa.

Quote Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
    been stalking some grouse as well. Though the stalking is mostly walking around with only a minor clue of habitat and behavior.
    Have you been able to find any grouse? It looks like the cold/wet spring in Northern Utah has taken it's toll on them.

Not sure if you're a motorcycle or atv rider (vehicle is ok), but I've had really good luck just leisurely riding along forested mountain roads enjoying the scenery and usually catch something moving out of the corner of my eye. I've found them while hiking too, but not as often (unless I had a good bird dog, then it was excellent). I love grouse hunting.

How about chukars? Can be a lot of fun, long season, but usually involves quite a bit of hiking.

Might be some quail around too.

If you head up the west side of the Boulder Mountain just outside of Bicknell you will find grouse. I deer hunted up above the Aqarius ranger station near Cook and Miller Lake. There is blue grouse all over hell up there, I could have limited out everyday up there just driving the roads especially the ones back in below Miller lake. If you can get an atv up there I imagine with the snow bringing the birds together you will smoke'em.

No luck with grouse yet, only been out once though. I was up at Yankee Meadows but I stayed down too low. I need to be hitting the ridges and scouting the tree branches more. Beautiful to be up there with knee deep snow. Tracked a rabbit for a half a mile just for the fun of it. A few older fisherman pulled some of the most gorgeous and large brookies out of the reservoir while I was there.

We hit Pine Park for a mixed hunt but had no luck. Will be heading farther south in December to scout some places for Quail. Looking at camping and hunting in the Slaughter Creek wilderness.

Don't have an ATV or I would head up into the Boulder's from Bicknell, MyT. Will be over there duck hunting in a few weeks.

Totally missed a chance at 30 Canada Geese. Had been jump hunting for 2 hours and got use to seeing California Gulls. Completely walked by a huge flock because I didn't notice any ducks. Turns out a major flock of geese was in the middle of them. They flushed before I was even paying attention.

Live and learn, especially the first season. Getting into shape with all this walking.

Phillip