Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LCD or Plasma HDTV - what would you buy?

ok another question, I'd liked to use it for compressed movies, usually 720p. How does it look on a 1080p resolution, pixelated? Can you switch to 720 mode?

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    ok another question, I'd liked to use it for compressed movies, usually 720p. How does it look on a 1080p resolution, pixelated? Can you switch to 720 mode?

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant using Tapatalk
    What do you mean how does a 720p movie look on a 1080p, pixelated? Are you referring to upscaling?

Btw, unrelated to your question but my 46" Sony Bravia tv has a USB port, which allows me to plug in a flashdrive full of AVIs. I like that feature a lot, especially when I'm lazy.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    What do you mean how does a 720p movie look on a 1080p, pixelated? Are you referring to upscaling?

Btw, unrelated to your question but my 46" Sony Bravia tv has a USB port, which allows me to plug in a flashdrive full of AVIs. I like that feature a lot, especially when I'm lazy.
    Right, upscaling. And I will also have a permanent PC connected to the TV too so I can bring the movies in from a network drive.

Naw man, you wont notice, it looks fine. Although when I do plug my PS3 in and get 1080p with some blue ray action ----------- Gawd damn dats a nice looking picture!!!!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Funny you should ask. I just noticed this thread.

I have been wanting a new HDTV for some time. I had been researching this for months on http://www.highdefjunkies.com/forum.php and http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/.

My new Panasonic plasma TV just happend to arrive today.

Here is what I found out.

For plasma, the best two brands are Samsung and Panasonic. Look at the Samsung D7000 and D8000. For Panasonic look at the ST30, GT30, and VT30 series. The ST30 is a great value and the VT30 is probably the best plasma currently available (that or the D8000). You could get a Panasonic 50ST30 in your price range.

I wasn't worried about 3D either but all the best 2D panels have the newest 3D technology in them, which enables them to provide better 2D picture quality. Get one with 3D even if you don't ever use it.

I bought online through Amazon direct (sold directly from Amazon, not a third-party through Amazon). They have free delivery to your room, they don't withhold sales tax and they have a 14 day price match guarantee and you can return it to them within 30 days if you want.

Samsungs are said to have slightly better color accuracy and Panasonics have better black levels (dark scenes look really detailed and black and not hazy gray like some bad LCD's). Last years Panasonics had rising black levels (over time they would get lighter), but this years 2011 models (30 series) have this fixed.

Plasmas are best in dark rooms with stunning picture quality, but they aren't nearly as bright as LCD's. Plasmas handle motion much better than LCD technology for sports. They are power hogs and slightly thicker than LCD's. The models I listed above are quite thin however.

Many people prefer the very bright colors of LCD (I include LED's when I refer to LCD's, same technology, different backlight, LED rather than flourescent). They often look the best when brightness is cranked up in the overly lit showroom. Plasmas can seem dim by comparison in these lighting conditions, but don't be fooled.

LCD's are very thin and have very low power consumption, especially LED's. However, they can suffer from some issues like brightness uniformity issues, blooming (brights bleeding over into blacks), flashlighting (bright lights shining through blacks from corners from edge lighting), picture degradation from off-axis viewing. The best TV currently available is said to be the Sharp Elite (an LED tv) which evidences very few of these issues. It has excellent contrast ratio, black levels and overall picture, but does suffer from off-axis viewing degradation and currently has a color decoding issue with cyan (blue can show as purple). It is also too expensive in my opinion. Sony's 929 and Samsung's D8000 are also very nice.

These are the TV's that qualified for the best TV's of the year (Panasonic VT30 (plasma); Samsung D8000 (plasma) Samsung D8000 (LED); Sharp Elite (LED) and Sony 929 (LED).

For value, I hear good things about the Vizio XVT series (LED). Styling is not that great and Vizio sometimes has quality issues. In the end, if you like what you see and like the price, if it looks good to you, go for it.

If your room is not too bright and you can get away with a plasma, I would do that. Samsung D7000 or Panasonic ST30 should be in the price range you want to pay. Buy online, it's cheaper and you don't have to fit it in your car.

Good luck!

One other thing regarding image retention. Recently it had been almost a non-issue with plasmas. However with the recent 3D technology, people are reporting that it is more of an issue again. Static images (logos, box scores, gaming menus, black bars for movie format or SD format) can result in image retention but I understand they do fade. With some care to mix content it shouldn't be a problem.

Can't go wrong either way

I like the plasma picture better. The plasma TV's take more energy, don't last as long as LCD/LED and run on three different types of gases to create the great picture.

Even though I like my friend's plasma a bit more than my LCD, I would recommend the LCD. Yes, the picture isn't quite as good and the blur is an issue at times. With TV's having 240 hz, some of the blur should go away.

The main thing is to stick with a name brand and do your homework. The picture is a bit like litening to a sound system and music. Everybody's ears and eyes are a bit different.

I have been seeing in the Best Buy ad - Panasonic Plasma 50 inch TV's for under $600.00. I paid $2,750.00 for my Sony 52 inch LCD 4 years ago. Technology and better pricing have come a long ways!

You will be happy either choice you make.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    So Beech... what did you decide on? Kinda in the market now and have been following this thread.
    Chere'

I snagged a Toshiba 55" LCD on cyber monday from Best Buy for $799

First thing I did:

Name:  IMGP2013..jpg
Views: 334
Size:  57.8 KB

Nice! I am having troubles deciding. Too many choices.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I snagged a Toshiba 55" LCD on cyber monday from Best Buy for $799

First thing I did:

Name:  IMGP2013..jpg
Views: 334
Size:  57.8 KB

That's awesome...

I have screen envy

I did it! I bought my first TV ever. 60" Sharp Aquos... size matters. WOW! This is going from 32" hunk a JVC

Thank goodness my brother-in-law was in town. That box would never have fit in the back of the Forester. We bought a Roku as well. Playing around with it not sure I will keep that little thing but we will see.
    Chere'

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    WOW--Chere's is bigger than Justin's......(and mine)

Oh yeah! Daniel Craig looks good on 60" mmmm mmmm nummy!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Chere'

Awesome man, good choice

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.